Associate Professor Amokura Kawharu
BA, LLB (Hons) (Auckland) LLM (Cambridge), Admitted to the Bar New Zealand (1998) and NSW (2000), AAMINZ
Amokura (Ngāpuhi, Ngāti Whātua) holds a BA/LLB(Hons) degree from Auckland University and an LLM with a major in international law from the University of Cambridge. She became member of the Law Faculty's academic staff in 2005 after working for several years in private commercial law practice in Auckland and in Sydney. Her research interests include international trade and investment law, arbitration, and international disputes resolution. She contributes reviews on disputes settlement for the New Zealand Law Review and co-authored the leading text on New Zealand arbitration law with Sir David Williams QC, "Williams & Kawharu on Arbitration" (2nd ed, LexisNexis, 2017). Amokura is a member of the LCIA, the Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law, and the Arbitrators’ and Mediators' Institute of New Zealand.
Research | Current
- International commercial arbitration
- Investment arbitration
- International economic regulation
- International disputes settlement
Teaching | Current
- LawComm 421 Commercial Arbitration
- LawPubl 454 International Disputes Settlement
- Law 301 Land Law
- LawComm 702 International Commercial Arbitration
Supervisions covering commercial and investment arbitration, international disputes settlement
J. F. Northey Memorial Book Award (2012) for Williams & Kawharu on Arbitration (2011) (with Sir David Williams QC)
University Finance Committee
Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga Board
Chair, Law Faculty Library Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kawharu, A. (2017). Punctuated Equilibrium: The Potential Role of FTA Trade Commissions in the Evolution of International Investment Law. JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC LAW, 20 (1), 87-113. 10.1093/jiel/jgw077
- Williams, D. A. R., Kawharu, A., Miles, W., Kirk, A., & Kalderimis, D. (2017). Williams and Kawharu on Arbitration (2nd). Wellington: LexisNexis. Pages: 1060.
- Kawharu, A. (2016). Process, politics and the politics of process: The 'trans-pacific partnership' in New Zealand. Melbourne Journal of International Law, 16 (2), 286-312. Related URL.
- Kawharu, A. (2016). Rehearings of jurisdiction issues: a fresh look at the judicial task. Arbitration International, 32 (4), 687-697. 10.1093/arbint/aiw033
- Kawharu, A. (2016). The Investment Chapter of the New Zealand–Korea Free-Trade Agreement: An Assessment of the Policy and Dispute Settlement Safeguards. New Zealand Law Review, 2016 (2), 291-318. Related URL.
- Kawharu, A. (2016). Brief of evidence of Amokura Kawharu before the Waitangi Tribunal, Wai 2522: Dated 24 February 2016. Related URL.
- Kawharu, A., & Kirk, A. (2016). Arbitration. New Zealand Law Review, 2016 (3), 615-645. Related URL.
- Kawharu, A. (2015). TPPA: chapter 9 on investment. https://tpplegal.wordpress.com/nzlf-expert-paper-series/. Related URL.