Dr Arie Rosen
BA/LL.B (Tel Aviv University), LL.M (New York University), JSD (New York University)
Arie Rosen is a legal theorist and a director of the New Zealand Centre for Legal Theory. His research interests span general jurisprudence, statutory interpretation and contract law theory. Throughout his research, he focuses on questions of political authority and the way different exercises of political authority shape legal categories, legal institutions and modes of legal reasoning. Arie’s work includes three interconnected strands. The first strand focuses on analytical questions in general jurisprudence regarding the nature of authority and the concept of law. The second strand involves the study of legislative authority and statutory interpretation. The third strand—and the focus of Arie’s current research—concerns the relations between democratic authority and the content of contract law. Arie’s work on democracy and private law is funded by a Marsden Grant, awarded by the Royal Society of New Zealand.
Research | Current
Work in progress
- A Law Beyond Democracy: The Insulation of Contract Law from Democratic Change
- The Conceptual Foundations of Legal Authority
Teaching | Current
- Theories of Contract Law
- The Philosophical Foundations of Private Law
- Statutory Interpretation: Theory and Practice
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Rosen, A. (2018). Law as an interactive kind: On the concept and the nature of law. Canadian Journal of Law and Jurisprudence, 31 (1), 125-149. 10.1017/cjlj.2018.6
- Rosen, A. (2017). Statutory interpretation and the many virtues of legislation. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies, 37 (1), 134-162. 10.1093/ojls/gqw011
- Rosen, A. (2015). Pluralism and the Justification of Authority. Australian Journal of Legal Philosophy, 40, 189-197. Related URL.
- Ruiz Fabri, H., Sinclair, G. F., & Rosen, A. (2014). Revisiting Van Gend en Loos. Paris: La société de législation comparée. Pages: 308.
- Rosen, A. (2014). Two Logics of Authority in Modern Law. University of Toronto Law Journal, 64 (5), 669-702. 10.3138/UTLJ.2004
- Rosen, A. (2013). The Normative Fallacy Regarding Law's Authority. In W. Waluchow, S. Sciaraffa (Eds.) Philosophical Foundations of the Nature of Law (pp. 75-100). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.