Professor Cristin Print
BHB, MBChB, PhD
Cris graduated in Medicine from the University of Auckland in 1989. He worked as a house surgeon and undertook asthma research in Dunedin before completing a Immunology PhD in Auckland under Professor Jim Watson and Dr Geoff Krissansen. He used transgenic technologies to research apoptosis in Melbourne, Australia, before moving to Cambridge University, UK, where he used genomics to research angiogenesis and reproduction, and was a fellow of St Edmund’s College. He co-founded a public genomics and bioinformatics company in Japan before returning to New Zealand in 2005 where he has been using genomics to better understand human pathology, with special focus on cancer. Cris leads the Genomics Into Medicine program in Auckland. He is currently a Professor in the University's Department of Molecular Medicine and Pathology, a Principal Investigator in the Maurice Wilkins Centre, on the Science Leadership Team of the Healthier Lives National Science Challenge, Chair of Scientific Advisory Board of the Auckland Regional Tissue Bank and Vice President of the Auckland Museum Institute. He is past Director of the NZ Bioinformatics Institute and immediate past President of the New Zealand Society for Oncology.
Research | Current
- Bioinformatics of Disease
- Clinical Genomics
- Systems Biology
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Evans, G. E., Phillipson, G. T. M., Sykes, P. H., McNoe, L. A., Print, C. G., & Evans, J. J. (2018). Does the endometrial gene expression of fertile women vary within and between cycles?. Hum Reprod10.1093/humrep/dex385
- Campbell, H., Fleming, N., Roth, I., Mehta, S., Wiles, A., Williams, G., ... Pajic, M. (2018). ∆133p53 isoform promotes tumour invasion and metastasis via interleukin-6 activation of JAK-STAT and RhoA-ROCK signalling. Nat Commun, 9 (1)10.1038/s41467-017-02408-0
- Muthukaruppan, A., Lasham, A., Blenkiron, C., Woad, K. J., Black, M. A., Knowlton, N., ... Shelling, A. N. (2017). Gene expression profiling of breast tumours from New Zealand patients. The New Zealand medical journal, 130 (1464), 40-56.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Michael Findlay, Annette Lasham, Cherie Blenkiron, Andrew Shelling, Anita Muthukaruppan
- Hunter, F. W., Shome, A., Li, D., Wong, W. W., Tsai, P., Poonawala, N., ... Lynch, C. R. (2017). Abstract 169: Preclinical efficacy and sensitivity determinants of evofosfamide in molecularly defined models of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Paper presented at AACR (American Association for Cancer Research) Annual Meeting 2017, Washington, D.C., USA. 1 April - 5 April 2017. Cancer Research. 10.1158/1538-7445.AM2017-169
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Khanh Tran, Francis Hunter, Avik Shome, Way Wong, Nooriyan Poonawala-Lohani, Purvi Kakadiya, Tet Woo Lee, Jules Devaux, Tony Hickey, Stefan Bohlander, William Wilson, Stephen Jamieson
- Muthukaruppan, A., Lasham, A., Woad, K. J., Black, M. A., Blenkiron, C., Miller, L. D., ... Shelling, A. N. (2017). Multimodal assessment of estrogen receptor mRNA profiles to quantify estrogen pathway activity in breast tumors. Clinical Breast Cancer, 17 (2), 139-153. 10.1016/j.clbc.2016.09.001
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Michael Findlay, Andrew Shelling, Annette Lasham, Cherie Blenkiron, Anita Muthukaruppan
- Hunter, F., Shome, A., Wong, W., Budhani, P., Senzer, N., Chiorean, E. G., ... Kakadiya, P. (2017). Use of evofosfamide for targeting immune-suppressive hypoxia in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Paper presented at 32nd Annual Meeting of the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer, National Harbor, Maryland, USA. 8 November - 12 November 2017. SITC 2017 Annual Meeting Abstracts Book.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Francis Hunter, Avik Shome, Way Wong, Nooriyan Poonawala-Lohani, Purvi Kakadiya, Kevin Hicks, Stefan Bohlander, William Wilson, Stephen Jamieson
- Harris, G., O'Toole S, George, P., Browett, P., & Print, C. (2017). Massive parallel sequencing of solid tumours - challenges and opportunities for pathologists. Histopathology, 70 (1), 123-133. 10.1111/his.13067
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Browett
- Mehta, S., Tsai, P., Lasham, A., Campbell, H., Reddel, R., Braithwaite, A., & Print, C. (2016). A Study of TP53 RNA Splicing Illustrates Pitfalls of RNA-seq Methodology. Cancer research, 76 (24), 7151-7159. 10.1158/0008-5472.can-16-1624
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Annette Lasham, Peter Tsai