Dr Lihua Tang
PhD (Nanyang Technological University, 2012), MENG (Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2008), BENG (Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2005)
Dr. Tang is currently working as a senior lecturer (above bar) with the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Auckland. He was a postdoctoral research associate/fellow at NTU from February 2012 to January 2014. His main research interests include energy harvesting, passive and active vibration control, smart materials and structures, structural dynamics and aerodynamics, acoustic energy transfer, MEMS.
Dr. Tang has authored and co-authored 3 book chapters and more than 150 technical papers in influential international journals and conferences. His work has attracted more than 4000 citations with an h-index 33 and i10-index 59 (Google Scholar).
Research | Current
Energy harvesting: Capture the renewable energies from environment, such as vibrations, wind, sound, etc. Design (a) innovative nonlinear structures and (b) interface electronic circuits to maximize energy conversion and extraction efficiency.
Smart materials and structures: Utilize the unique properties of smart materials, such as piezoelectric ceramics and magnetorheological elastomers, to design adaptive structures and devices for sensing, energy harvesting and vibration control.
Vibration control: Passive and semi-passive vibration isolation and suppression system development by exploiting metamaterials (phononic crystals), nonlinear mechanisms (nonlinear energy sink, internal resonance) and piezoelectric shunt circuits.
Aerodynamics: (a) Utilize the aerodynamic instabilities (flutter, galloping, wake galloping and VIV) for energy harvesting. (b) Control the aerodynamic instabilities using vibration control methods.
Acoustics: (a) Acoustic energy transfer. Understand the electro-fluid-structral interaction and design proper acoustic transmitter and receiver (harvester). (b) Thermoacoustic engine. Understand the mechanism of theromacoustic instability and utilize it for energy harvesting or thermal management.
Teaching | Current
- MECHENG 222 - Dynamics (2014 - )
- MECHENG 325 - Dynamics of Fluids and Structures (2017 - )
- MECHENG 705 - Mechatronic Systems (2014 - 2015)
- MECHENG 722 - Engineering Vibrations (2014 - )
- MECHENG 719 - Advanced Engineering Vibrations (2017 - )
- Mr. Yupei Jian (PhD, CSC sponsored, 2019 - )
- Mr. Zhaoyu Li (PhD, sponsored by Marsden Fund, 2018 - )
- Mr. Geng Chen (PhD, CSC sponsored, 2016 - )
- Mr. Hesheng Han (Visiting PhD, Harbin Institute of Technology, China, CSC sponsored, 2019 - )
- Ms. Hoda Rezaie (PhD, co-supervision with Patrick Hu, 2014 - )
- Dr. Liuyang Xiong (PhD, CSC sponsored, 2015 - 2020)
- Dr. Zhaoshu Yang (PhD, Sponsored by Government of China, 2017 - 2020)
- Dr. Guobiao Hu (PhD, CSC sponsored, 2015 - 2019)
- Dr. Bo Sheng (PhD, CSC sponsored, 2014 - 2019)
- Dr. Matthew Evans (PhD, co-supervision with Kean Aw, 2016 - 2019)
- Dr. Iman Izadgoshasb (PhD, Southern Cross University, Australia, co-supervision with Yee Yan Lim and Ricardo Vasquez Padilla, 2015 - 2019) (Chancellor's Medal for Outstanding PhD Thesis). Currently Lecturer at Southern Cross University.
- Mr. Tengfei Chen (Visiting PhD, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China, Sponsored by China Association for Science and Technology, 2019.08 - 2020.08)
- Dr. Zhenkun Guo (Visiting PhD, Beijing University of Technology, China, CSC sponsored, 2018.09 - 2019.09). Currently Asst. Prof. at Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture.
- Mr. Liuding Yu (Visiting PhD, Harbin Engineering University, China, CSC sponsored, 2017.09 - 2019.09)
- Dr. Zhiwei Zhang (Visiting PhD, Beijing Jiao Tong University, China, CSC sponsored, 2017.09 - 2018.09). Currently Asst. Prof. at Beiijng Forestry University.
- Dr. Chunbo Lan (Visiting PhD, Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, CSC sponsored, 2016.4 - 2017.3). Currently Asst. Prof. at Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Mr. Tianyi Zhang (MEng, 2019.03 - 2020.02)
- Ms. Lulu Wang (MEng, 2019.03 - 2020.02)
- Mr. Marlon Nacario Junior (MEng, 2016.07 - 2018.04)
- Mr. John Chua (MEng, 2015.02 - 2017.02)
- Mr. Qiming Chen (MEngSt, 2015.07 - 2015.12)
- Mr. Muhammad Asyraf Bin Ishak (MEngSt, 2015.07 - 2015.12)
- Prof. Junlei Wang (Visiting Scholar, Zhengzhou University, China, CSC sponsored, 2019.12 - )
- Dr. Xiaobin Cui (Visiting Scholar, Nanjing Tech University, China, Sponsored by Jiangsu Overseas Visiting Scholar Program, 2018.09 - 2019.08)
- 2019.08 ASME Best Paper Award in Structural Dynamics and Control
- 2019.08 ASME Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Materials Systems
- 2018.06 New Zealand Chinese Scientists Association Young Scientist Award
- 2017.11 Marsden Fund (fast-start)
- TA Coordinator in the department (2015 - )
- Teaching Group (Dynamics & Control) Convenor (2018 - )
- Staff / PhD / Visitor Seminar Coordinator in the department (2014 - 2015)
- Course Director for MECHENG 222 - Dynamics (2015 - )
- Course Director for MECHENG 325 - Dynamics of Fluids and Structures (2017)
- Course Director for MECHENG 722 - Engineering Vibrations (2017 - )
- Course Director for MECHENG 719 - Advanced Engineering Vibrations (2017 - )
Areas of expertise
- Energy harvesting
- Smart materials and structures
- Nonlinear dynamics
- Vibration control
- Associate Editor, SAGE Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures (2019- )
- Conference Committee (Technical Program Committee), International Conference on Vibration and Energy Harvesting Application (VEH 2018, 2019)
- Conference Committee (Conference Editorial Board), IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (2019)
- Conference Committee (Program Chair, Conference Editorial Board), IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (2018)
- Conference Committee, Active and Passive Smart Structures and Integrated Systems, SPIE Smart Structures/NDE (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 )
- Conference Committee (Organizing Chair/Symposium Chair), IEEE/ASME International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA) (2016)
- Member (elected), Energy Harvesting Technical Committee, ASME
- Member (elected), Adaptive Structures & Material Systems (ASMS) Technical Branch, ASME
- Member, ASME
- Member, ENZ
- Member, SPIE
Other Review/Examination Services
- Peer Reviewers for 50+ international journals and a number of ASME, IEEE conferences
- External PhD examiners for a number of local and overseas institutions.
- External assessor for many competitive overseas funds.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Hu, G., Austin, A. C. M., Sorokin, V., & Tang, L. (2021). Metamaterial beam with graded local resonators for broadband vibration suppression. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 14610.1016/j.ymssp.2020.106982
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Austin, Vladislav Sorokin
- Fan, K., Liu, J., Cai, M., Zhang, M., Qiu, T., & Tang, L. (2020). Exploiting ultralow-frequency energy via vibration-to-rotation conversion of a rope-spun rotor. Energy Conversion and Management, 225, 113433-113433. 10.1016/j.enconman.2020.113433
- Chen, G., Wang, Y., Tang, L., Wang, K., & Yu, Z. (2020). Large eddy simulation of thermally induced oscillatory flow in a thermoacoustic engine. Applied Energy, 27610.1016/j.apenergy.2020.115458
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Geng Chen
- Li, Z., Xiong, L., Tang, L., Liu, K., & Mace, B. (2020). Vibration energy harvesting based on a piezoelectric nonlinear energy sink with synchronized charge extraction interface circuit. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 53 (50)10.1088/1361-6463/abb101
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Brian Mace
- Hu, G., Liang, J., Lan, C., & Tang, L. (2020). A twist piezoelectric beam for multi-directional energy harvesting. Smart Materials and Structures, 29 (11)10.1088/1361-665X/abb648
- Xu, J., Hu, G., Tang, L., Zhang, Y., & Yan, R. (2020). Modeling and analysis of phononic crystal with coupled lanes for enhanced elastic wave attenuation. Journal of Vibration and Acoustics10.1115/1.4048394
- Yu, L., Tang, L., & Yang, T. (2020). Piezoelectric passive self-tuning energy harvester based on a beam-slider structure. Journal of Sound and Vibration10.1016/j.jsv.2020.115689
- Hu, G., Wang, J., Qiao, H., Zhao, L., Li, Z., & Tang, L. (2020). An experimental study of a two-degree-of-freedom galloping energy harvester. International Journal of Energy Research Related URL.