Dr Alessandro Premier
MSc Iuav Venice, PhD Ferrara
Dr Alessandro Premier is an architect, graduated with a Master Degree from Iuav University of Venice (Italy) and PhD in Architectural Technology at the Department of Architecture of the University of Ferrara (Italy).
Alessandro joined the University of Auckland in 2018, where he is Senior Lecturer of Architectural Technology and is currently teaching architectural and environmental design at the School of Architecture and Planning. He is also member of the newly established Future Cities Research Hub, whose aim is promoting research collaborations and cross-disciplinary approaches leading to evidence-based understandings and design innovations across a range of scales.
He has been collaborating with Iuav University of Venice from 2005 to 2018. Alessandro has been adjunct professor of Architectural Technology at Iuav University of Venice (2010-2015) and adjunct professor at the University of Udine (2013-2018). He has also taught at Milan Polytechnic (Mantua Campus), RheinMain University of Applied Sciences in Wiesbaden, Germany (visiting professor) and other institutions.
Alessandro is a registered architect in Italy. He is one of the founding members of the Eterotopie Colour, Light and Communication in Architecture Research Lab in Treviso, Italy, where he carries out design and research activities on architectural technology and environmental sustainability. He also held professional training courses with local associations of architects and other institutions.
He conducts research projects and experimentations in the field of advanced façade design and responsive architecture. He specializes in the architectural integration of innovative materials, products and technologies to improve the environmental quality of man-made spaces. He authored more than 100 publications including books, curatorship, conference papers, journal articles and magazine articles.
Research | Current
My main research interests are:
- Advanced façade design and responsive architecture
- Green building design
- Building retrofit and urban regeneration
- Color and light design for wellbeing
Teaching | Current
- ARCHDES 200 BAS - Design 3
- ARCHTECH 208 BAS - Environmental Design 1 - Architectural Acoustics module
- ARCHTECH 307/314 BAS - Environmental Design 2
- ARCHGEN 706 MArch(Prof) - Building Materials and Technologies
- ARCHGEN 724 MArch(Prof) - Advanced Building Technologies
I supervise MArch, MArch(Prof) and PhD theses in the areas of sustainable design and architectural technology, with focuses on urban regeneration projects, building retrofit, high-performance new buildings, advanced façade design.
Completed Master's supervisions at the University of Auckland
- Azizah Al Shidi, MArch(Prof), 2019. Title: "LEEN: a cancer care home. The application of caring architecture in the Sultanate of Oman"
- Thomas Loots, MArch(Prof), 2019. Title: "Urban Green Villages: re-imagining communities in high-density areas"
- Yi Lu, MArch(Sustainable Design), 2019. Title: "A Comparative Study on Data Exchange from Building Information Modelling to Building Energy Analysis Tools"
Ongoing Master’s supervisions at the University of Auckland
- Ken Wong, MArch(Prof), 2020. Title (provisional): "The Gerontologic Colony: An urban-automation of Wan Chai"
- Francisco Carbajal, MArch(Prof), 2020. Title (provisional): "Material Focus"
- Na Zhao, MArch(Sustainable Design), 2020. Title (provisional): "Overview and Assessment of Precedents Integrating Advanced Timber-based Materials in Sustainable Design"
- Agatha Maia Duarte de Assis, MArch(Prof), 2021. Title (provisional): "Future cities: The role of self-sufficiency in the Architecture of Urban Centres".
- Nigel Koeh, MArch(Prof), 2021. Title (provisional): "Reimagining the Colonial Cities of the staits of Malacca".
- Yucong Shan, MArch(Prof), 2021. Title (provisional): "A new nightmarket"
I’m interested in supervising Master theses (Research or Professional) on building retrofit, green building design, responsive architecture and advanced façade design
Ongoing PhD supervisions
- Jisun Mo, PhD in Architecture (Main supervisor: Dr Paola Boarin; co-supervisor: Dr Alessandro Premier). Title (provisional): "Developing a new assessment system for analyzing environmental performance on the basis of the green building rating system".
- Jane Waterhouse, PhD in Architecture (Main supervisor: Dr Alessandro Premier; co-supervisor: Dr Paola Boarin). Title (provisional): "Aging in place: improving existing architectural design guidelines for elderly residences in New Zealand to increase quality of life".
- Luis Medrano Gomez, PhD in Architecture (Main Supervisor: Dr Paola Boarin; co-supervisor: Dr Alessandro Premier). Provisional title: "Holistic approach for post-occupancy evaluation: mitigation of performance gap and rebound effect through user experience"
I’m currently looking for a new PhD student willing to work on the topics of Responsive Architecture and Advanced Façade Design
- Best Presentation Award for “Smart Solar Urban Street Furniture: Design, Application, Limits and Potentials”. Imaginable Futures: Design Thinking, and the Scientific Method, 54th International Conference of the Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA), Auckland University of Technology, 26 – 27 November 2020.
PAN Award (Special mention) for “Originality vs. Imitation: technologies and influence of Op Art in the design of contemporary façades”. XXI International Interdisciplinary Conference IPSAPA, University of Udine, 6 July 2017.
PAN Award (Second prize: originality) for “Façade Technologies at the service of the Imitation of Successful Models”. XX International Interdisciplinary Conference IPSAPA, University of Udine, 7 July 2016.
PAN Award (Special mention) for “Frank Gehry: architetture di metallo nella città contemporanea”. XV International Interdisciplinary Conference IPSAPA, University of Udine, 16 September 2010.
- Coordinator MArch, MArch(Sustainable Design) and PGDipArch (S2 2018 – current)
- Orientation Coordinator - Architecture, Postgraduate (S2 2019 – current)
- School Postgraduate Committee – member (S2 2018 – current)
- School Research Committee – member (S1 2019 – current)
- Faculty Research Committee - School rep (S2 2019)
- International Students Pastoral Care – Architecture (S2 2020)
- School Postgraduate Committee - Chair (S1 2021)
- Faculty Postgraduate Research Committee - member (S1 2021)
Areas of expertise
- Real-time responsive architecture
- Textile architecture
- Green building design
- Building retrofit
- Urban regeneration
- Colour and light design for wellbeing
- Advanced façade claddings
- Dynamic façades
- Solar shading devices
- Smart materials and technologies
- Architectural integration of renewable technologies
Reviewing, refereeing, judging activities (current)
- Reviewer for Emerald Open Research, Emerald Publishing Ltd
- Reviewer for the National Science Challenge, Building Better Homes, Towns and Cities working paper series
- Reviewer for the journal Sustainable Cities and Society, Elsevier BV
- Reviewer for the journal Energies, MDPI
- Reviewer for the journal Sustainability, MDPI
- Reviewer for the journal Applied Sciences, MDPI
- Reviewer for the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), Berne (CH)
- Reviewer for the journal Journal of Architectural Engineering, ASCE
- Reviewer for the journal Intelligent Buildings International, Taylor & Francis
- Reviewer for the journal Architectural Science Review, Taylor & Francis
- Member of the New Zealand Institute of Architects (Academic category) (2021-ongoing)
- Member and current co-director of the Future Cities Research Hub, School of Architecture and Planning, The University of Auckland (2020-ongoing)
- Member of the Architectural Science Association (ASA, former ANZAScA) (2020-ongoing)
- Member of the organizing committee of the APRU Sustainable Cities and Landscape Conference 2020, The University of Auckland, December 2020
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 54th International Conference of the Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA) 2020, 25-28 November Auckland, New Zealand
- Founding member of the Research Lab “Eterotopie: colour, light and communication in architecture”, Italy (2013-ongoing)
- Member of ECD: The Study Group on Environmental Colour Design of AIC (International Colour Association) (2013-ongoing)
- Registered Architect (Italy) and member of the Order of Architects, Planners, Landscape Designers and Preservationists, Province of Treviso (Italy) (2006-ongoing)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Premier, A. (2020). Colour design of textile architectural envelopes: an initial study. Color Culture and Science Journal, 12 (1), 25-31. 10.23738/CCSJ.120103
- Premier, A. (2019). Façade cool coatings: An experiment on colour and surface quality. Intelligent Buildings International10.1080/17508975.2019.1704207
- Premier, A. (2019). Colour textile technologies for environmental design. In V. M. Schindler, Y. A. Griber (Eds.) Proceedings of the First Russian Congress on Color, 1, 73-78. Smolensk, Russia: Color Society of Russia. Related URL.
- Premier, A. (2019). Solar shading devices integrating smart materials: an overview of projects, prototypes and products for advanced façade design. Architectural Science Review, online first10.1080/00038628.2019.1653259
- Premier, A. (2016). Sustainable design: Colour technologies for static façades with dynamic effect. Paper presented at Colour in Urban Life: images, objects and spaces, Santiago de Chile. 18 October - 22 October 2016. Colour in Urban Life: images, objects and spaces, AIC 2016 Interim Meeting, Book of Abstracts. Related URL.
- Premier, A. (2015). Dynamic façades in the contemporary man-made environment: From tradition to innovation. Agribusiness Paesaggio & Ambiente (Agribusiness Landscape & Environment), 18 (2), 150-157. Related URL.
- Premier, A. (2014). Sustainable innovation for smart city architecture. Agribusiness Paesaggio & Ambiente (Agribusiness Landscape & Environment), 17 (3), 248-254. Related URL.
- Premier, A. (2012). Dynamic facades and smart technologies for building envelope requalification. Screencity: International Academic Journal, Media environment (01), 65-69.
PLEASE NOTE THAT I RECEIVE ON APPOINTMENT
Primary office location
ARCHITECTURE - EAST - Bldg 421E
Level 4, Room 424
26 SYMONDS ST