Dr Allan Fowler
PhD Computer Science
I have just recently joined the University and was most recently a tenured Associate Professor in Game Design and Software Engineering in the USA. I'm originally from New Zealand and grew up in the Manawatu-Whanganui region.
My research is based around using games to learn. However, I have also undertaken research in CS Education, and Human-Computer Interaction.
I have been learning and teaching Martial Arts for over 20 years and hold a fifth-degree black belt (or go-dan) in Shorin Ryu karate, a second-degree black belt (ni-dan) in Shotokan and was recently promoted to go-dan in gojyu-ryu.
I have two wonderful children and a very patient and understanding wife.
I look forward to continuing my research and continuing learning.
Research | Current
My research is mainly focused on:
- Interactive & situated learning
- Measuring indicators of cognition
- STEM/CS Education for underrepresented minorities
Areas of expertise
Games for Learning
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Fowler, A. (2019). Jamming with children: An experience report. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 10.1145/3337722.3341842
- Fowler, A., Nesbitt, K., & Canossa, A. (2019). Identifying cognitive load in a computer game: An exploratory study of young children. IEEE Conference on Computatonal Intelligence and Games, CIG. 10.1109/CIG.2019.8848064
- Fowler, A. (2019). Beginning iOS AR Game Development: Developing Augmented Reality Apps with Unity and C#. New York, NY: Apress. Pages: 244. 10.1007/978-1-4842-3618-5
- Fowler, A., & Khosmood, F. (2018). The Potential of Young Learners Making Games: An Exploratory Study. IEEE Games, Entertainment, Media Conference (GEM), 189-195. Galway, Ireland. 10.1109/GEM.2018.8516486
- Fowler, A., & Schreiber, I. (2017). Engaging under-represented minorities in STEM through game jams. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 10.1145/3055116.3055120
- Fowler, A. (2017). Engaging young learners in making games: An exploratory study. Paper presented at 12th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games (FDG), Cape Cod, MA. 14 August - 17 August 2017. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 12TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON THE FOUNDATIONS OF DIGITAL GAMES (FDG'17). (pp. 5). 10.1145/3102071.3116225
- Fowler, A., & Chu, P. (2017). Learn Unity 2017 for iOS Game Development: Create Amazing 3D Games for iPhone and iPad (Second). Berkeley, CA: Apress. Pages: 464. 10.1007/978-1-4842-3174-6
- Fowler, A., Pirker, J., Pollock, I., De Paula, B. C., Echeveste, M. E., & Gómez MJ (2016). Understanding the benefits of game jams: Exploring the potential for engaging young learners in STEM. Proceedings of the 2016 ITiCSE Working Group Reports, ITiCSE 2016. 10.1145/3024906.3024913