Dr Angus Donald Campbell
NDip 3DDes, BTech ID, MTech ID Wits. Tech., DLitt et Phil DVS Uni. Jhb.
Angus Donald Campbell is the Leader of Design Programmes and Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Creative Arts and Industries, at the University of Auckland. He holds a Doctorate of Literature and Philosophy in Development Studies from the University of Johannesburg and a Masters of Technology in Industrial Design from the Technikon Witwatersrand, South Africa. Originally from South Africa, he worked for 18 years at the University of Johannesburg, culminating in his role as Head of the Department of Industrial Design. His university lecturing, practice-based research and freelance design experience is passionately focused on local and sustainable innovation at the complex nexus of social, technological and ecological systems. For more information please visit: www.angusdonaldcampbell.com
Research | Current
Main research interests:
- Practice-based design research with specific focus on sustainable innovation to regenerate complex social, technical and ecological systems.
- Pluriversal design with interest in Development, the Global South, inequality, indigenous knowledge and decolonisation.
- Local futures, including appropriate technology, circular economies, and food systems.
- Socio-technical innovation for industrial design.
Current research projects:
- Unequal stories: Researching gender inequality in design disciplines. A collaborative research project funded by the Global Challenges Research Fund and Research England with the University of Falmouth (UK) and the University of Johannesburg (SA) | 2018 - ongoing | Co-investigator
Recently completed research:
- Designing development: An exploration of technology innovation by small-scale urban farmers in Johannesburg. Doctorate of Literature and Philosophy in Development Studies at the University of Johannesburg | 2012 - 2020.
- Design Society Development (DSD) Design for Social Innovation and Sustainability (DESIS) Lab. Collaborative design research lab based in the Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture, University of Johannesburg | 2012 - 2020 | Co-founder & Coordinator.
- iZindaba-Zokudla (Conversations about Food): Innovation in the Soweto Food System. Multistakeholder research project at the University of Johannesburg | 2012 - 2020 | Co-researcher.
- Researching Alternative Urban Methods. ERASMUS funded collaborative research exchange with Sheffield School of Architecture (UK), SEPT (IN), Nanjing University (CH) and DSD DESIS Lab (SA) | 2017 - 2019 | Coresearcher.
- Achieving Inclusive Cities through Scaling up Participatory Planning in Africa. Leverhulme Trust funded collaborative research project with the Global Development Institute, Manchester University & DSD DESIS Lab (UJ) | 2017 - 2020 | Research sub-contractor
Teaching | Current
- DES794A&B: Thesis
- DES795A&B: Research Portfolio
- Gunn, M. 2021 - current. Common / room: A creative investigation into the potential of a dedicated space, real or virtual, to support social engagement through whakawhanaungatanga | Main supervisor for PhD with Creative Practice, Design, CAI, University of Auckland.
- Kirby, P. 2021 - current. Virtual Twin Technology: Design for Public Engagement and Urban Placemaking in Aotearoa, New Zealand | Main supervisor for MDes Research Thesis, CAI, University of Auckland.
- Adelabu, O.S. 2019 - current. Assessing Curricular Framework for Design Education in the 4IR Era: A Case of the BRICS Countries | Co-supervisor for GES 4.0 Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Department of Industrial Design, UJ.
- White, D. 2020 - current. StretChair: The Commercialisation of a Medical Device from a South African University to Industry | Co-supervisor for MA Industrial Design, UJ.
- Kara, W.K. 2020 - current. Kanala Stories: A discursive exploration of Coloured identity through furniture | Co-supervisor for MA Industrial Design, UJ.
- Donatus, E. 2019 - current. The Design of a Ceramic Evaporative Cooling Device for the Storage of Small-scale Urban Farmers’ Produce in Johannesburg | Co-supervisor for MA Design (Industrial Design), UJ.
- Mokgatla, O. 2018 - current. Human-Centred Design of an Appropriate Irrigation System for Small-scale Farmers in Johannesburg. Co-supervisor for MA Design (Industrial Design), UJ. Registered UJ Community Engagement project.
- Nkosi, S. 2018 - 2021. The Design of an Innovative, Affordable, Compact and Locally Produced Furniture Item for Low-income Earners in South Africa | Co-supervisor for MA Design (Industrial Design), UJ.
- Donaldson, T. 2020. Co-Designing the Digital Library Experience with and for the Small-Scale Farmers of the Wits Siyakhana Initiative. | Co-supervisor for MA Design (Multimedia), UJ | Graduated Cum Laude.
- Naudé, M.C. 2020. Designing Eyewear to Accommodate Human Diversity in the South African Context | Main Supervisor for MA Design (Industrial Design), UJ.
- Findlay, P.K. 2020. Radical Innovation and Taboo: How to Encourage South African Market Acceptance of a New Menstrual Hygiene Product | Main Supervisor for MA Design (Industrial Design), UJ | Graduated Cum Laude.
- Moseley, A. 2019. Defining a Design Process Model for Paediatric Medical Device Design in the South African Context | Main Supervisor for MA Design (Industrial Design), UJ | Graduated Cum Laude | Vice Chancellors Award for Most Meritorious Postgraduate Student in FADA, UJ.
- Brown, I.L. 2017. An Appropriate Technology System for Emergent Beekeepers: Field Testing and Development towards Implementation | Main Supervisor for MTech Industrial Design, UJ | Graduated Cum Laude | Registered UJ Community Engagement project.
- Harrison, P. 2017. The Participatory Design of a Human-powered Shredder for Urban Farmers in Soweto | Main Supervisor for MTech Industrial Design, UJ | Graduated Cum Laude | Registered UJ Community Engagement project.
- Brand, K. 2013. Design and Development of a Household Farming Kit | Main Supervisor for MTech Industrial Design, UJ | Registered UJ Community Engagement project.
- Bolton, M. 2008. Design and Development of an Improved Low-cost Ceramic Water Filter based on the Existing Potpaz Home Water Treatment Device for use within Rural Households of the Vhembe Region | Main Supervisor for MTech Industrial Design, UJ.
Angus is looking for new Masters and PhD researchers wanting to pursue practice-based design research within the various areas of his research interest.
Grants & Funding
- Global Challenges Research Fund | Partners: Falmouth University and the UJ Design Society Development DESIS Lab | Project: Unequal stories | 2019 - onwards
- The Leverhulme Trust | Partners: Global Development Institute, University of Manchester and the UJ Design Society Development DESIS Lab | Project: Achieving inclusive cities through scaling up participatory planning in Africa | 2017 - 2020
- Erasmus+ | Partners: School of Architecture, University of Sheffield; Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology (CEPT)(India); Nanjing University, School of Architecture and Urban Planning; and the University of Johannesburg, Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture, Design Society Development DESIS Lab | Project: Researching Alternative Urban Methods | 2016 - 2018
- National Research Foundation of South Africa | Thuthuka Grant No. 88030 held by Angus D. Campbell | Project: Designing Development: An Exploration of Technology Innovation by Small-scale Urban Farmers in Johannesburg | 2014 - 2016
- Innovators for the Future | Germany | 2020
- iF Student Design Awards | Germany | 2015, 2016 & 2020
- 100% Design South Africa Awards | South Africa | 2017 & 2018
- Southern Guild Design Foundation Awards | South Africa | 2016
- Plastics Institute of Southern Africa (PISA) Student Design Award | South Africa | 2003-2009, 2011-2015
- Association of Rotational Moulders Southern Africa (ARMSA) Student Design Award | South Africa | 2003-2009, 2011-2015
Editorial Boards & Peer Review
- Special Issue of the Strategic Design Research Journal (SDRJ): Design Contributions for the COVID-19 Global Emergency | 2020 | Peer Reviewer
- 9th International Conference on Appropriate Technology, Pretoria | 2020 | Programme Committee Member & Reviewer
- Design& book series, Milan: Maggiolli | 2019 | Editorial Board Member: Reviewer 1 book proposal
- Design and Culture: The Journal of the Design Studies Forum, Taylor & Francis | 2019 | Invited Peer Reviewer
- Design Culture(s): Roma 2020: Cumulus Conference, Rome | 2019 | Peer Reviewer
- Designed Futures: Design Education Forum of Southern Africa (DEFSA) 8th International Conference, Cape Town | 2019 | Peer Reviewer
- To Get There: Designing Together, Cumulus Conference, Paris | 2018 | Peer Reviewer
- Special Issue of the Strategic Design Research Journal (SDRJ): Autonomía, Design strategies for enabling design process | 2018 | Peer Reviewer
- Co-Design Journal, Taylor & Francis |2018 | Invited Peer Reviewer
- Design Education Forum of Southern Africa (DEFSA) Conference 2017: #Decolonise! | 2017 | Peer Reviewer
- Cumulus REDO Conference, Kolding | 2017 | Peer Reviewer
- Design for Next: 12th European Academy of Design (EAD) Conference, Rome | 2017 | Peer Reviewer
- LeNSes Sustainable Energy for All by Design Conference, Milan | 2016 | Peer Reviewer
- Virtuous Circle: Cumulus Conference, Milan | 2015 | Peer Reviewer
- 25th International Union of Architects (UIA) World Congress: Architecture Otherwhere, Durban | 2014 | Peer Reviewer
- Design with the Other 90%: Cumulus Conference, Johannesburg | 2014 | Peer Reviewer
- National Research Fund Thuthuka Programme | 2012 | Rated Researcher Application Reviewer
- 20/20 Design Vision: Design Education Forum of Southern Africa (DEFSA) Conference, Johannesburg | 2011 | Peer Reviewer
- Leader, Design Programmes, CAI, 2021- onwards.
Areas of expertise
- Design Research
- Development Studies
- Design for Sustainability
- Social Innovation
- Appropriate Technology
- Industrial Design
- MIT Technology Review | Global Panel | 2020 – current
- Pan-Afrikan Design Institute | Individual Member | 2020 - current
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Network on Higher Education and SDGs | Individual Member | 2019 – current
- Design Research Society (UK) | Individual Member | 2017 - current
- Museum of African Design (MOAD) | Non-executive Director | 2015 - 2017
Primary office location
ARCHITECTURE - WEST - Bldg 421W
Level 5, Room 513
26 SYMONDS ST