Professor Bernadette Luciano
BA, MA (Stanford), PhD (Columbia)
Bernadette Luciano is Professor of Italian in the Faculty of Arts. She joined the Italian Department in 1994 after having taught at the University of California, Santa Barbara; Columbia University; the University of Minnesota; California State University San Diego and Stanford University.
She has published articles and book chapters on Italian cinema; film adaptation; Italian women’s historical novels; women’s autobiographical writing; the theory and practice of translation and subtitling; and issues of identity, migration and transnationalism in literature and film. She has co-edited an interdisciplinary book on cross-cultural encounters between New Zealand and Europe. She is author of The Cinema of Silvio Soldini: Dream, Image, Voyage (2008) and of the co-authored book (with Susanna Scarparo), Reframing Italy: New Trends in Italian Women's Filmmaking (Purdue University Press, 2013).
Research | Current
- Contemporary Italian cinema and documentary
- Women’s lifewriting
- Women’s activism
- Mobility and Transnational cinema
- Film adaptation
- Translation and Subtitling
Current PhD Supervisions
Josephine Olsen Fashionable Dynamics: International Vogue in the 1970s
Linetto Basilone Allegories, utopias and chinoiseries. China and Italian Travel Literature in the Second Half of the Twentieth Century
Martina Depentor Issues of cultural transfer in dubbing and subtitling –Translation of New Zealand cinema into the Italian context
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Luciano, B., & Scarparo, S. (2020). Stories My Mother Never Told Me: The Autobiographical Films of Alina Marazzi, Margot Nash, and Sarah Polley. Quarterly Review of Film and Video, 37 (1), 1-24. 10.1080/10509208.2019.1593031
- Luciano, B. (2018). The Haptic Documentaries of Silvio Soldini. SCHERMI: Storia e cultura del cinema e dei media in Italia, 2 (4), 49-67. 10.13130/2532-2486/10450
- Luciano, B. (2017). Remembering Luciano Rebay, professore 'meneghino'. Italian Poetry Review 2015-2016, 10-11, 289-298.
- Luciano, B., & Scarparo, S. (2017). Maternal ambivalence in contemporary Italian cinema. In G. Lerner, D'Amelio M (Eds.) Italian motherhood on screen (pp. 45-70). Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave MacMillan. 10.1007/978-3-319-56675-7_3
- Chung, H., & Luciano, B. (2015). Autonomous navigation? Multiplicity and self-reflexive aesthetics in Sergio Basso's documentary film Giallo a Milano and web documentary made in Chinatown. In C. Deprez, J. Pernin (Eds.) Post-1990 documentary: Reconfiguring independence (pp. 203-216). Edinburgh, UK: Edinburgh University Press.
- Luciano, B. (2015). 'There’s no place like home': The Anxiety of Mobility in the Works of Louise DeSalvo. altrelettere
- Luciano, B., & Scarparo, S. (2015). Regia: sostantivo femminile?. Quaderni del CSCI: Rivista annuale di cinema italiano, 11, 210-217. Related URL.
- Chung, H. J., & Luciano, B. (2015). Autonomous Navigation? Multiplicity and Self-reflexive Aesthetics in Sergio Basso's documentary film Giallo a Milano and web-documentary Made in Chinatown. In C. Deprez, J. Pernin (Eds.) Post-1990 Documentary: Reconfiguring Independence (pp. 203-216). Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
Semester Two 2013: by appointment firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary office location
CLL BUILDING - Bldg 207
Level 5, Room 512
18 SYMONDS ST