Professor Chris Bullen
BHB, MBChB, DObst, DCH, MPH (Hons1), PhD, FAFPHM, FNZCPHM
Research | Current
- Tobacco control and smoking cessation
- Addictions including problem gambling
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Heart Disease prevention and management
- Population health education
- Health in low and middle income countries
- Evaluating public health interventions
- Housing and health
- Health technology
Teaching | Current
I teach a 15 point postgraduate course, "Public Health in Practice" (POPLHLTH776) each semester.
I teach guest lectures in courses on tobacco control, clinical trials, global health and general public health.
I supervise masters and doctoral students
Academic Icon to the Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Malaya, Malaysia
Director, National Institute for Health Innovation (NIHI)
Director, Postgraduate Programmes in Public Health
Deputy Head, School of Population Health
Chair, Postgraduate Board of Studies, School of Population Health
Areas of expertise
My primary area of research expertise is in tobacco control, in particular, intervention-focused research on how to help more people who smoke to quit for good.
I have a special interest in the association of tobacco smoking with both non-communicable and communicable diseases (such as TB), and the inclusion of tobacco control in health professional training (both at the undergraduate and postgraduate curricula levels).
More than 80% of the burden of tobacco-related health harm falls on people in low and middle income nations, so it is vital that research capacity is built to understand and intervene appropriately in these countries. So some of my work involves collaborations with colleagues in research centres overseas.
I am interested in evaluating the use of digital and mobile platforms to reach and intervene with health programmes.
I'm also interested in research on 'healthy housing'. Everyone should have affordable, secure, safe and adequate housing that enhances good health. The reality is far from this.
Member, School of Population Health Management Committee
Member, University of Auckland Disciplinary Committee
Fellow, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (FAFPHM), Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP)
Fellow, New Zealand College of Public Health Medicine (NZCPHM)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Jull, A., Wadham, A., Bullen, C., Parag, V., Weller, C., & Waters, J. (2020). Wool-derived keratin dressings versus usual care dressings for treatment of slow healing venous leg ulceration: a randomised controlled trial (Keratin4VLU). BMJ open, 10 (7)10.1136/bmjopen-2019-036476
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Jull
- Joo, Y. J., Newcombe, D., Nosa, V., Walker, N., & Bullen, C. (2020). Betel nut use in Vanuatu: Investigating opportunities to reduce harms to health. Substance Use and Misuse, 55 (9), 1457-1464. 10.1080/10826084.2020.1716803
Other University of Auckland co-authors: David Newcombe, Vili Nosa, Natalie Walker
- Meltzer, L. R., Simmons, V. N., Sutton, S. K., Drobes, D. J., Quinn, G. P., Meade, C. D., ... Eissenberg, T. (2017). A randomized controlled trial of a smoking cessation self-help intervention for dual users of tobacco cigarettes and E-cigarettes: Intervention development and research design. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 60, 56-62. 10.1016/j.cct.2017.06.014
- Chen, J., Bullen, C., & Dirks, K. (2017). A comparative health risk assessment of electronic cigarettes and conventional cigarettes. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14 (4)10.3390/ijerph14040382
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kim Dirks
- Donny, E. C., Walker, N., Hatsukami, D., & Bullen, C. (2017). Reducing the nicotine content of combusted tobacco products sold in New Zealand. Tobacco Control, 26 (e1), e37-e42. 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2016-053186
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Natalie Walker
- Walker, N., Bullen, C., Barnes, J., McRobbie, H., Tutka, P., Raw, M., ... Castaldelli-Maia, J. M. (2016). Getting cytisine licensed for use world-wide: A call to action. Addiction, 111 (11), 1895-1898. 10.1111/add.13464
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jo Barnes, Janie Sheridan, Natalie Walker
- Walker, N., Fraser, T., Howe, C., Laugesen, M., Truman, P., Parag, V., ... Bullen, C. (2015). Abrupt nicotine reduction as an endgame policy: A randomised trial. Tobacco Control, 24 (e4), e251-e257. 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-051801
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Natalie Walker, Varsha Parag
- Walker, N., Howe, C., Glover, M., McRobbie, H., Barnes, J., Nosa, V., ... Bullen, C. (2014). Cytisine versus nicotine for smoking cessation. The New England Journal of Medicine, 371 (25), 2353-2362. 10.1056/NEJMoa1407764
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Vili Nosa, Jo Barnes, Varsha Parag, Natalie Walker