Associate Professor Cass Byrnes
MBChB, FRACP, MD (Auckland), GCCE (New South Wales)
Teaching | Current
Co-director of the two week FRACP Residential course 2010 – current run annually to prepare senior registrars for the Paediatric FRACP examination. This course caters for 80 registrars from Australia and New Zealand. Since 2012 the course is fully booked within 5 minutes of the registration going online.
Supervisor of RACP registrars, house officer, trainee interns and Paediatric diploma candidates. Support teaching in paediatrics with lectures and workshops as part of the undergraduate programme.
Previously Director Undergraduate Paediatric Programme 2001-2006 achieving accreditation for the programme by the Australasian Medical Council.
2014 Paediatric Head of Department Distinguished Teaching Award
2006 Teaching award in Paediatric Teaching – voted by 5th Year Medical Students
2000 Teaching award “Best Lecture 2000” – voted by 5th Year Medical Students
Areas of expertise
- Respiratory disease in Indigenous children
- Outcomes from early lung infections
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Founding Trustee, Bronchiectasis Foundation, Pehiaweri Marae, Tikipunga & Northland District Health Board
- Chair, PORT CF: NZ Registry, Cystic Fibrosis New Zealand, www.cfnz.org.nz, Christchurch
- Chair, Clinical Advisory Panel, Cystic Fibrosis New Zealand, www.cfnz.org.nz, Auckland
- Chair, Cystic Fibrosis Child & Youth Clinical Network, Paediatric Society of New Zealand.
- Member, Newborn Metabolic Screening Programme Technical Group, Ministry of Health (Manatu Hauora)
- Member, Cystic Fibrosis Advisory Panel, PHARMAC, www.pharmac.health.nz, Wellington
- Member, Editorial Board, New Zealand Formulary for Children, www.nzfchildren.org.nz, Dunedin
- Co-convenor, Cystic Fibrosis Special Interest Group, Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand, Sydney Australia
- Member, Organising Committee, Congress of Paediatric Pulmonology, www.CIPP-meeting.org, France
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chang, A. B., Fong, S. M., Yeo, T. W., Ware, R. S., McCallum, G. B., Nathan, A. M., ... Lee, B. (2019). HOspitalised Pneumonia Extended (HOPE) Study to reduce the long-term effects of childhood pneumonia: protocol for a multicentre, double-blind, parallel, superiority randomised controlled trial. BMJ open, 9 (4)10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026411
- Harun, S. N., Wainwright, C. E., Grimwood, K., Hennig, S., Cheney, J., George, N., ... Armstrong, D. S. (2019). Aspergillus and progression of lung disease in children with cystic fibrosis. THORAX, 74 (2), 125-131. 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2018-211550
- Bell, S. C., Elborn, J. S., & Byrnes, C. A. (2018). Bronchiectasis: Treatment decisions for pulmonary exacerbations and their prevention. Respirology (Carlton, Vic.), 23 (11), 1006-1022. 10.1111/resp.13398
- Goyal, V., Grimwood, K., Byrnes, C. A., Morris, P. S., Masters, I. B., Ware, R. S., ... van Asperen, P. (2018). Amoxicillin-clavulanate versus azithromycin for respiratory exacerbations in children with bronchiectasis (BEST-2): a multicentre, double-blind, non-inferiority, randomised controlled trial. Lancet (London, England), 392 (10154), 1197-1206. 10.1016/s0140-6736(18)31723-9
- Goyal, V., Grimwood, K., Byrnes, C. A., Masters, I. B., Marchant, J., Morris, P., ... Torzillo, P. (2018). Amoxycillin-Clavulanate Vs Azithromycin for Respiratory Exacerbations of Bronchiectasis in Children - A Multi-Centre Double Blind Non-Inferiority Randomised Controlled Trial. Paper presented at International Conference of the American-Thoracic-Society, San Diego, CA. 18 May - 23 May 2018. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RESPIRATORY AND CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE. (pp. 2).
- The NZF for Children Team (2017). New Zealand formulary for children. , 65.
- Byrnes, C. (2017). Maintaining respiratory health in resource poor populations. Paper presented at 16th International Congress of Paediatric Pulmonology 2017, Lisbon, Portugal. 22 June - 25 June 2017.
- Sharma, S., Jaksic, M., Fenwick, S., Byrnes, C., & Cundy, T. (2017). Accrual of Bone Mass in Children and Adolescents With Cystic Fibrosis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 102 (5), 1734-1739. 10.1210/jc.2016-3459