Mr Caleb Panapa Edward Marsters
Bachelor of Health Sciences, Master of Public Health (1st Class Honours)
Caleb Marsters is currently a PhD Candidate at Te Wānanga o Waipapa, School of Māori Studies and Pacific Studies, University of Auckland. He is of Cook Islands and NZ Papa'a descent and has a community/public health background. His research interests include: youth mental health, Pacific health and wellbeing, youth development, and health and socioeconomic inequities and inequalities.
Research | Current
Caleb's PhD research entitled: 'Run it Straight!' - Pasifika men, mental wellbeing and elite sports
Mental wellbeing in sports is growing in importance, as are the numbers of young Pacific men pursuing careers in professional sports. Pacific peoples have disproportionately higher rates of suicide attempts when compared to the general New Zealand population, and furthermore, an increasing prevalence of depression and suicide among young Pacific athletes. This suggests that this group are at ‘high-risk’ of experiencing adverse mental health outcomes. The aim of this study is to capture an understanding of the perceptions of young Pacific male athletes as well as coaches and managers, around sociocultural and contextual factors impacting upon positive mental wellbeing and performance in sport.
This research will contribute to supporting positive mental wellbeing and decreasing suicidal behaviours among young Pacific athletes. it will inform the development of positive mental health wellbeing models and help-seeking frameworks for Pacific athletes. It will also contribute to the fields of sports psychology, youth health, and men’s health.
Teaching | Current
- POPLHLTH210: Equity and Inequities in Health, University of Auckland - Semester 1, 2017
2017: Sarah McClean - Depression in young Samoan females: The views of mental health service providers (with Jemaima Tiatia-Seath). Master of Arts, Pacific Studies, University of Auckland.
- University of Auckland Pacific Doctoral Scholarship 2017
- Health Research Council of New Zealand Pacific Health Research PhD Scholarship 2016
- Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences Research Grant, University of Auckland 2016
- Ministry of Health Aniva Scholarship 2016
Areas of expertise
- Pacific youth mental health
- Pacific male mental health
- Pacific health and wellbeing
- Positive youth development
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Marsters, C. P. (2017). Young Pacific Male Athletes and Positive Mental Wellbeing The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland.