Professor Darl Kolb
PhD, Cornell, MA, Colorado, and BSc, Illinois State
Darl is a pioneering theorist on social and technical connectivity and the first Professor of Connectivity in the world. He has been a Visiting Fellow at the University of Sydney and the University of Cambridge. He has published articles in Organization Studies and Organizational Dynamics and in 2020 was the lead guest editor of a special issue on 'Connectivity In and Around Organizations' in Organization Studies (Volume 41 Issue 12, December 2020). The introduction, 'Connectivity in and around Organizations: Waves, tensions and trade-offs' can be found at: pDs:O//dIo: i1.o0r.g1/107.171/0771/700187048046026029097733666
He continues to serve as an Academic Facilitator for business growth and export programmes at the ICEHOUSE. He has co-authored and edited a popular book on business growth, called Gearing Up: Leading your Kiwi business into the future (Auckland University Press, 2020).
Making sense of experience in a digital world.
Research | Current
Making sense of a digital age.
Teaching | Current
2013 2020 Graduate School of Management Professor
|2007||2013||Dept. Management & Int'l Bus.||Assoc. Professor|
|2012||2012||University of Cambridge||Visiting Fellow|
|1997||2006||University of Auckland||Senior Lecturer|
|1992||1996||University of Auckland||Lecturer|
|1989||1991||Cornell University||Research Associate|
|1982||1988||Santa Fe Mountain Center||Project Director|
|1981||1982||Colorado Outward Bound School||Instructor|
|2013-present||BUSMGT 711||Managing People and Organisations|
7 PhDs supervised to completion.
Seeking new PhD candidates of high quality who are interested in exploring our understanding of connectivity.
- 2012 Life Member, Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2010 Dean's Award for Teaching Collaboration
- 2005 Dean's Award for Excellence as Editor of the UABR
- 2004 Excellence Award - Distance Education Association of New Zealand
- 1998 MBA Teacher of the Year
- 1994 MBA Teacher of the Year
- 1994 University of Auckland Distinguished Teaching Award
Graduate Research Supervision, Executive Education and Business Growth.
Areas of expertise
Cyber-sociology associated with distributed work, ubiquitous networks and hyper-connectivity (communications overload).
- Member-Academy of Management
- Member-Australia New Zealand Academy of Management
- Member-European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS)
- Member-International Sociology Association (ISA)
- University of Auckland Business Review Editorial Board
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kolb, D. G., Dery, K., & Huysman, M. (2014). Co-convenor: Sub-theme 44: Connectivity and mobility: Organizational control meets disruptive technologies. Paper presented at 30th European Group for Organization Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, Rotterdam. 3 July - 5 July 2014. Related URL.
- Dery, K., Kolb, D. G., & MacCormick, J. (2014). Working with flow: The evolving practice of smartphone technologies. European Journal of Information Systems, 23 (5), 558-570. 10.1057/ejis.2014.13
- Kolb, D. G. (2013). Virtually there: The paradox of proximity. In R. L. Morrison, H. D. Cooper-Thomas (Eds.) Relationships in Organizations: A work psychology perspective (pp. 171-192). London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Breidbach, C., Kolb, D. G., & Srinivasan, A. (2013). Connectivity in Service Systems: Does Technology-Enablement Impact the Ability of a Service System to Co-Create Value?. Journal of Service Research, 16 (3), 428-441. 10.1177/1094670512470869
- MacCormick, J. S., Dery, K., & Kolb, D. G. (2012). Engaged or just connected? Smartphones and employee engagement. Organizational Dynamics, 41 (3), 194-201. 10.1016/j.orgdyn.2012.03.007
- Kolb, D. G., Prussia, G., & Francoeur, J. (2009). Connectivity and leadership: The influence of online activity on closeness and effectiveness. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 15 (4), 342-352. 10.1177/1548051809331503
- Kolb, D. G., Collins, P. D., & Lind, E. A. (2008). Requisite connectivity: Finding flow in a not-so-flat world. Organizational Dynamics, 37 (2), 181-189. 10.1016/j.orgdyn.2008.02.004
- Kolb, D. G. (2008). Exploring the metaphor of connectivity: Attributes, dimensions and duality. ORGANIZATION STUDIES, 29 (1), 127-144. 10.1177/0170840607084574
Primary office location
SIR OWEN G GLENN BUILDING - Bldg 260
Level 3, Room 341
12 GRAFTON RD