Dr David Charles Wynn
- MEng Engineering and Computing Science, University of Oxford
- PhD Engineering Design, University of Cambridge
After completing his PhD in 2007, David became a Senior Research Associate at the Cambridge Engineering Design Centre. While in Cambridge he was also a Fellow and Director of Studies in Engineering at Homerton College. David then moved to Canada where he worked at Bombardier Aerospace in the Product Development Engineering group, and where he was affiliated to the Department of Mechanical Engineering at McGill University.
David joined the University of Auckland as a Senior Lecturer in 2015. He leads the Design and Development Research Group.
Research | Current
- Engineering design
- Complex product development
- Engineering change
- Design processes and their coordination
I have broad interest in the above areas, especially in developing insights, models and computer tools to support practice. For more information on my interests please refer to my list of publications here.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- PhD student projects
- Representing and reasoning about information quality in collaborative engineering design (funded by MaD Network NZ)
OPPORTUNITIES TO RESEARCH TOWARDS A PhD
We are currently recruiting potential PhD students to join the Design and Development Research Group. Specific research projects on offer are listed here: https://www.findathesis.auckland.ac.nz/#/supervisor/d-wynn.
Candidates who wish to study for a PhD are encouraged to apply for these projects via the link above. I may also consider supervising other projects in my areas of interest. Funding may be available for PhD applicants having excellent academic records.
Teaching | Current
- MECHENG 235 - Design and Manufacturing II
- MECHENG 334 - Engineering Design III
- MECHENG 731 - Engineering Design IV
- ENGGEN 705 - Innovation and New Product Development (not offered in 2019)
- Faculty of Engineering Teaching Development Award (2018)
- Editorial Board. Journal of Engineering Design.
- Editorial Review Board. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tahera, K., Wynn, D. C., Earl, C., & Eckert, C. M. (2019). Testing in the incremental design and development of complex products. RESEARCH IN ENGINEERING DESIGN, 30 (2), 291-316. 10.1007/s00163-018-0295-6
- Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2018). Process models in design and development. Research in Engineering Design, 29 (2), 161-202. 10.1007/s00163-017-0262-7
- Wynn, D. C., & Eckert, C. M. (2017). Perspectives on iteration in design and development. Research in Engineering Design, 28 (2), 153-184. 10.1007/s00163-016-0226-3
- De Lessio, M. P., Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2017). Modelling the planning system in design and development. Research in Engineering Design10.1007/s00163-017-0272-5
- Eckert, C. M., Wynn, D. C., Maier, J. F., Albers, A., Bursac, N., Chen, H. L. X., ... Shapiro, D. (2017). On the integration of product and process models in engineering design. Design Science, 310.1017/dsj.2017.2
- Siyam, G. I., Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2015). Review of Value and Lean in Complex Product Development. Systems Engineering, 18 (2), 192-207. 10.1002/sys.21299
- Maier, J. F., Wynn, D. C., Biedermann, W., Lindemann, U., & Clarkson, P. J. (2014). Simulating progressive iteration, rework and change propagation to prioritise design tasks. Research in Engineering Design, 25 (4), 283-307. 10.1007/s00163-014-0174-8
- Wynn, D. C., Caldwell, N. H. M., & Clarkson, P. J. (2014). Predicting change propagation in complex design workflows. Journal of Mechanical Design, 136 (8)10.1115/1.4027495