Dr David C Wynn
- MEng Engineering and Computing Science, University of Oxford
- PhD Engineering, University of Cambridge
- Chartered Member, Engineering New Zealand
After completing his PhD, David became a Senior Research Associate at the Cambridge Engineering Design Centre. While in Cambridge he was also a Fellow and Director of Studies in Engineering at Homerton College. David then moved to Canada where he worked at Bombardier Aerospace in the Product Development Engineering group.
David is now a Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Auckland, where he teaches across the mechanical design courses and leads the Design and Development Research Group.
Research | Current
- Design and development
- Engineering design
- Design change for X (for flexibility, weight reduction, etc.)
- Design processes
I have broad interest in the above areas, especially in developing insights, models and computer tools with an ultimate aim to support practice. For more information on my interests please refer to my list of publications here.
Some short videos about our research are available here.
OPPORTUNITIES TO RESEARCH TOWARDS A PhD OR MASTERS DEGREE
We are currently recruiting potential PhD students to join the Design and Development Research Group. Specific research projects on offer may be listed here: https://www.findathesis.auckland.ac.nz/#/supervisor/d-wynn otherwise, please contact me for current projects on offer.
Candidates who wish to study for a PhD are encouraged to apply for these projects via the University webpage. Funding may be available for PhD applicants having excellent academic records.
Candidates who wish to do a Masters' level research project relating to engineering design or engineering management are also encouraged to contact me to discuss the possibilities.
Teaching | Current
- MECHENG 235 - Design and Manufacture 1
- MECHENG 236 - Design and Manufacture 2
- MECHENG 334 - Design and Manufacture 3
- MECHENG 731 - Mechanical Design Projects
- ENGGEN 705 - Engineering Product Development
- Editorial Board. Journal of Engineering Design.
- Editorial Board. Research in Engineering Design.
- Editorial Review Board. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Brahma, A., & Wynn, D. C. (2020). Margin value method for engineering design improvement. Research in Engineering Design10.1007/s00163-020-00335-8
- Wynn, D. C., Eckert, C. M., & Clarkson, P. J. (2019). Research into the design and development process: some themes and an overview of the special issue. RESEARCH IN ENGINEERING DESIGN, 30 (2), 157-160. 10.1007/s00163-019-00315-7
- Tahera, K., Wynn, D. C., Earl, C., & Eckert, C. M. (2019). Testing in the incremental design and development of complex products. RESEARCH IN ENGINEERING DESIGN, 30 (2), 291-316. 10.1007/s00163-018-0295-6
- De Lessio, M. P., Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2019). Modelling the planning system in design and development. Research in Engineering Design, 30 (2), 227-249. 10.1007/s00163-017-0272-5
- Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2018). Process models in design and development. Research in Engineering Design, 29 (2), 161-202. 10.1007/s00163-017-0262-7
- Wynn, D. C., & Eckert, C. M. (2017). Perspectives on iteration in design and development. Research in Engineering Design, 28 (2), 153-184. 10.1007/s00163-016-0226-3
- Eckert, C. M., Wynn, D. C., Maier, J. F., Albers, A., Bursac, N., Chen, H. L. X., ... Shapiro, D. (2017). On the integration of product and process models in engineering design. Design Science, 310.1017/dsj.2017.2
- Siyam, G. I., Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2015). Review of Value and Lean in Complex Product Development. Systems Engineering, 18 (2), 192-207. 10.1002/sys.21299
Primary office location
ENGINEERING BLOCK 5 - Bldg 405
Level 9, Room 969
5 GRAFTON RD