Dr David C Wynn
- MEng Engineering and Computing Science, University of Oxford
- PhD Engineering, University of Cambridge
- Chartered Member, Engineering New Zealand
After completing his PhD, David became a Senior Research Associate at the Cambridge Engineering Design Centre. While in Cambridge he was also a Fellow and Director of Studies in Engineering at Homerton College. David then moved to Canada where he worked at Bombardier Aerospace in the Product Development Engineering group, and where he was affiliated to the Department of Mechanical Engineering at McGill University.
David is now a Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Auckland, where he leads the Design and Development Research Group.
Research | Current
- Design and development
- Engineering change
- Design processes and their coordination
I have broad interest in the above areas, especially in developing insights, models and computer tools with an ultimate aim to support practice. For more information on my interests please refer to my list of publications here.
OPPORTUNITIES TO RESEARCH TOWARDS A PhD
We are currently recruiting potential PhD students to join the Design and Development Research Group. Specific research projects on offer are listed here: https://www.findathesis.auckland.ac.nz/#/supervisor/d-wynn.
Candidates who wish to study for a PhD are encouraged to apply for these projects via the link above. I may also consider supervising other projects in my areas of interest. Funding may be available for PhD applicants having excellent academic records.
Teaching | Current
- MECHENG 235 - Design and Manufacturing I
- MECHENG 334 - Engineering Design III
- MECHENG 731 - Engineering Design IV
- ENGGEN 705 - Engineering Product Development
- Faculty of Engineering Teaching Development Award (2018)
- Editorial Board. Journal of Engineering Design.
- Editorial Review Board. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tahera, K., Wynn, D. C., Earl, C., & Eckert, C. M. (2019). Testing in the incremental design and development of complex products. RESEARCH IN ENGINEERING DESIGN, 30 (2), 291-316. 10.1007/s00163-018-0295-6
- Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2018). Process models in design and development. Research in Engineering Design, 29 (2), 161-202. 10.1007/s00163-017-0262-7
- Wynn, D. C., & Eckert, C. M. (2017). Perspectives on iteration in design and development. Research in Engineering Design, 28 (2), 153-184. 10.1007/s00163-016-0226-3
- De Lessio, M. P., Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2017). Modelling the planning system in design and development. Research in Engineering Design10.1007/s00163-017-0272-5
- Eckert, C. M., Wynn, D. C., Maier, J. F., Albers, A., Bursac, N., Chen, H. L. X., ... Shapiro, D. (2017). On the integration of product and process models in engineering design. Design Science, 310.1017/dsj.2017.2
- Siyam, G. I., Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2015). Review of Value and Lean in Complex Product Development. Systems Engineering, 18 (2), 192-207. 10.1002/sys.21299
- Maier, J. F., Wynn, D. C., Biedermann, W., Lindemann, U., & Clarkson, P. J. (2014). Simulating progressive iteration, rework and change propagation to prioritise design tasks. Research in Engineering Design, 25 (4), 283-307. 10.1007/s00163-014-0174-8
- Wynn, D. C., Caldwell, N. H. M., & Clarkson, P. J. (2014). Predicting change propagation in complex design workflows. Journal of Mechanical Design, 136 (8)10.1115/1.4027495