Dr David Charles Wynn
- MEng Engineering and Computing Science, University of Oxford
- PhD Engineering Design, University of Cambridge
After completing his PhD in 2007, David became a Senior Research Associate at the Cambridge Engineering Design Centre. While in Cambridge he was also a Fellow and Director of Studies in Engineering at Homerton College. David then moved to Canada where he worked at Bombardier Aerospace in the Product Development Engineering group, and where he was affiliated to the Department of Mechanical Engineering at McGill University.
David joined the University of Auckland as a Senior Lecturer in 2015. He leads the Design and Development Research Group.
Research | Current
- Engineering design
- Complex product development
- Engineering change
- Design processes and their coordination
I have broad interest in the above areas, especially in developing insights, models and computer tools to support practice. For more information on my interests please refer to my list of publications here.
I am recruiting research students to work in the areas listed above. Candidates who wish to study for a PhD or ME in these areas are encouraged to contact me to discuss the possibilities. Funding may be available for highly-qualified applicants.
Teaching | Current
- MECHENG 235 - Design and Manufacturing II
- MECHENG 334 - Engineering Design III
- MECHENG 731 - Engineering Design IV
- ENGGEN 705 - Innovation and New Product Development
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- De Lessio, M. P., Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2017). Modelling the planning system in design and development. Research in Engineering Design10.1007/s00163-017-0272-5
- Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2017). Process models in design and development. Research in Engineering Design10.1007/s00163-017-0262-7
- Wynn, D. C., & Eckert, C. M. (2017). Perspectives on iteration in design and development. Research in Engineering Design, 28 (2), 153-184. 10.1007/s00163-016-0226-3
- Maier, J. F., Wynn, D. C., Biedermann, W., Lindemann, U., & Clarkson, P. J. (2014). Simulating progressive iteration, rework and change propagation to prioritise design tasks. Research in Engineering Design, 25 (4), 283-307. 10.1007/s00163-014-0174-8
- Wynn, D. C., Caldwell, N. H. M., & Clarkson, P. J. (2014). Predicting change propagation in complex design workflows. Journal of Mechanical Design, 136 (8)10.1115/1.4027495
- Wyatt, D. F., Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2014). A scheme for numerical representation of graph structures in engineering design. Journal of Mechanical Design, 136 (1)10.1115/1.4025961
- Ahmad, N., Wynn, D. C., & Clarkson, P. J. (2013). Change impact on a product and its redesign process: A tool for knowledge capture and reuse. Research in Engineering Design, 24 (3), 219-244. 10.1007/s00163-012-0139-8
- Wyatt, D. F., Wynn, D. C., Jarrett, J. P., & Clarkson, P. J. (2012). Supporting product architecture design using computational design synthesis with network structure constraints. Research in Engineering Design, 23 (1), 17-52. 10.1007/s00163-011-0112-y