Dr Joanna Mary Black
PhD, CertOcPharm, BOptom (Hons), BSc
I graduated as an optometrist in 2005, and then went on to complete the certificate in ocular pharmacology. My PhD research was investigating the Labrador Retriever as a model of naturally occurring myopia.
In the past I have been involved in teaching various undergraduate optometry courses at a 2nd and 3rd year level including clinical optometry, ocular pathology, and applied optics and dispensing. I am currently involved in teaching binocular vision and paediatric optometry. Since graduating, I have also worked as an optometrist part-time in general private practice.
Research | Current
My current research is looking at new treatment regimes for amblyopia, including amblyopia treatment in adults.
Teaching | Current
I am currently involved in teaching binocular vision and paediatric optometry.
In the past I have been involved in teaching various undergraduate optometry courses at a 2nd and 3rd year level including clinical optometry, ocular pathology, and applied optics and dispensing.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chang, L. Y.-L., Acosta, M. L., & Black, J. (2019). Choroidal thinning and ocular electrophysiology in a case of vascular cognitive impairment after stroke. Clinical & experimental optometry, 102 (2), 184-187. 10.1111/cxo.12831
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Monica Acosta
- South, J., Gao, T., Collins, A., Turuwhenua, J., Robertson, K., & Black, J. (2019). Aniseikonia and anisometropia: implications for suppression and amblyopia. Clinical & experimental optometry10.1111/cxo.12881
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Collins, Jay South, Yitian Tina Gao
- Hamm, L. M., Mistry, K., Black, J. M., C Grant, C., & Dakin, S. C. (2019). Impact of Children's Postural Variation on Viewing Distance and Estimated Visual Acuity. Translational vision science & technology, 8 (1)10.1167/tvst.8.1.16
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Steven Dakin, Lisa Hamm, Cameron Grant
- Hamm, L. M., Boluk, K. A., Black, J. M., Dai, S., & Thompson, B. (2019). Phenomenological approach to childhood cataract treatment in New Zealand using semi-structured interviews: how might we improve provision of care. BMJ open, 9 (1)10.1136/bmjopen-2018-024869
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lisa Hamm, Benjamin Thompson
- Black, J. M., Jacobs, R. J., Phillips, J. R., & Acosta, M. L. (2019). The changing scope of Optometry in New Zealand: historical perspectives, current practice and research advances. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand10.1080/03036758.2019.1587476
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Robert Jacobs, John Phillips, Monica Acosta
- Hamm, L. M., Anstice, N. S., Black, J. M., & Dakin, S. C. (2018). Recognition acuity in children measured using The Auckland Optotypes. Ophthalmic & physiological optics : the journal of the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians (Optometrists), 38 (6), 596-608. 10.1111/opo.12590
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lisa Hamm, Nicola Anstice, Steven Dakin
- Gao, T. Y., Ledgeway, T., Lie, A. L., Anstice, N., Black, J., McGraw, P. V., & Thompson, B. (2018). Orientation Tuning and Contrast Dependence of Continuous Flash Suppression in Amblyopia and Normal Vision. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, 59 (13), 5462-5472. 10.1167/iovs.18-23954
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yitian Tina Gao, Alyssa Lie, Benjamin Thompson, Nicola Anstice
- Leung, M., Poppe, T., Tottman, A., Thompson, B., Black, J., Harding, J., ... Alsweiler, J. (1/7/2018). The effect of neonatal hyperglycaemia on visual acuity and ocular biometry in children born very preterm. Poster presented at Annual Meeting of the Association-for-Research-in-Vision-and-Ophthalmology (ARVO), Honolulu, HI. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Myra Leung, Tanya Poppe, Anna Tottman, Benjamin Thompson, Jane Harding, Frank Bloomfield, Jane Alsweiler