Professor James Michael Curran
Research | Current
My main interests are in statistical problems in forensic science. I consult with forensic agencies in New Zealand, Australia and the United Kingdom, and produce and maintain expert systems software for the interpretation of evidence. I have experience as an expert witness for DNA and glass evidence, appearing in courts in the United States and Australia.
In addition to my forensic interests, I have very strong interests in statistical computing, and in automation projects.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Menking-Hoggatt, K., Arroyo, L., Curran, J., & Trejos, T. (2019). Novel LIBS method for micro-spatial chemical analysis of inorganic gunshot residues. JOURNAL OF CHEMOMETRICS10.1002/cem.3208
- Buckleton, J. S., Lohmueller, K. E., Inman, K., Cheng, K., Curran, J. M., Pugh, S. N., ... Taylor, D. A. (2019). Testing whether stutter and low-level DNA peaks are additive. Forensic science international. Genetics, 4310.1016/j.fsigen.2019.102166
- Gupta, A., Martinez-Lopez, C., Curran, J. M., & Almirall, J. R. (2019). Multi-element comparisons of tapes evidence using dimensionality reduction for calculating likelihood ratios. Forensic science international, 301, 426-434. 10.1016/j.forsciint.2019.06.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Anjali Gupta
- Andersen, M. M., Curran, J., de Zoete, J., Taylor, D., & Buckleton, J. (2019). Corrigendum to "Modelling the dependence structure of Y-STR haplotypes using graphical models" [Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. 37(1) (2018) 29-36]. Forensic science international. Genetics, 4110.1016/j.fsigen.2019.01.007
- Andersen, M. M., Curran, J., de Zoete, J., Taylor, D., & Buckleton, J. (2018). Modelling the dependence structure of Y-STR haplotypes using graphical models. Forensic science international. Genetics, 37, 29-36. 10.1016/j.fsigen.2018.07.014
- Gittelson, S., Berger, C. E. H., Jackson, G., Evett, I. W., Champod, C., Robertson, B., ... Coble, M. D. (2018). A response to "Likelihood ratio as weight of evidence: A closer look" by Lund and Iyer. Forensic science international, 288, e15-e19. 10.1016/j.forsciint.2018.05.025
- Taylor, D., Curran, J., & Buckleton, J. (2018). Likelihood ratio development for mixed Y-STR profiles. Forensic science international. Genetics, 35, 82-96. 10.1016/j.fsigen.2018.03.006
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Buckleton
- Gupta, A., Curran, J. M., Coulson, S., & Triggs, C. M. (2017). Comparison of intra-day and inter-day variation in LIBS spectra. Forensic Chemistry, 3, 36-40. 10.1016/j.forc.2016.12.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Christopher Triggs, Anjali Gupta