Dr Jennifer Dawn Eccles
BSc, Geology and Applied Geophysics, The University of Auckland; MSc, Geology, The University of Auckland; PhD, Seismology, University of Cambridge
Research | Current
The main theme connecting Jennifer Eccles’ research has been using slightly unconventional approaches to investigate the geological structure and tectonics of areas which have proved intractable to conventional approaches. This has included the aeromagnetic investigation the structure of the basement beneath the Auckland Urban Area and Auckland Volcanic Field to understand the accretionary tectonics that formed it during the Mesozoic. Other research has included the seismic 'sub-basalt imaging problem' in the North Atlantic i.e. the successful use of low frequency and long offset seismic techniques in a region of high attenuation and scattering. Converted shear wave phases were specifically used to gain extra constraint on margin structure and hence continental breakup processes. Ongoing projects include marine geophysics looking at the Kermadec Arc/Backarc region and research, funded by a Fast Start Marsden Fund grant, on New Zealand’s Alpine Fault in association with an ongoing ICDP initiative (http://www.icdp-online.org/front_content.php?idcat=1281). This research has utilized boreholes drilled as part of the broader collaboration; installing borehole seismometers and carrying out a high resolution active source seismic and larger scale Fault Zone Guided Wave experiments. New projects include investigation of the Hauraki Rift and tectonics of the upper North Island and a borehole experiment in Antartic sea ice.
Teaching | Current
I'm on Research and Study Leave in 2019 and am not teaching but would normally be involved with:
Andrea Taylor. Masters of Engineering Geology. Structurally mapping Auckland’s West Coast.Co-supervised by James Muirhead
Natasha Holder. Masters of Engineering Geology. Structurally mapping Auckland’s East Coast. Co-supervised by James Muirhead
Patrick Hollands. BSc Hons (Geophysics). Gravity Investigation of the North Scenic Drive and Muriwai Faults.
Alex Caldwell. BSc Hons (Geophysics). Potential Field insight into the stepover of block faulting in South Auckland.
William Reid, MSc Project. Geophysical Investigation of Auckland Faulting
Alutsyah Luthfian (Fian), PhD Project: Crustal Controls on Monogenetic Volcanism: Insight from Potential Field Analysis in Auckland and Whangarei Volcanic Fields. Co-supervised by Craig Miller (GNS Science)
Franz Lutz, PhD Project: Seismic structure and behaviour of the Ross Ice Shelf, Antarctica. Co-supervised by Dave Prior (University of Otago).
Engdawork Admassu Bahiru, PhD Project: Structural and tectonic controls on epithermal Au-Ag mineralisation, southern Coromandel Volcanic Zone: insights from joint geological-geophysical interpretation and 3D stress
modelling. Primary Supervisor Julie Rowland.
2020. Ben Simons, PhD Project: Drivers of Variation in the Eruptive and Magmatic Processes of a Persistently
Active Volcano, Yasur, Vanuatu. Primary Supervisor Shane Cronin
2020 Zaid Al-Jawadi, Masters of Engineering Geology Project. TECTONIC FRAMEWORK OF AUCKLAND, NZ:
A MORPHOTECTONIC AND GEOTECHNICAL PERSPECTIVE
2019. Zaid Rana, MSc Project. Dynamic Site Characterisation of the Hauraki Plains. Co-supervised with Liam Wotherspoon (Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Auckland)
2019. Robert Pickle, PhD Project: NATURE AND POTENT IAL ORIGINS OF THE LOW-RATE TECTONICS OF THE HAURAKI RIFT AND NORTH-WESTERN NEW ZEALAND: A GEOPHYSICAL INVESTIGATION. Co-supervised by Julie Rowland and Sigrun Hreinsdottir (GNS Science)
2018. William Reid BSc Hons Project. Resolving ambiguity in the rift initiation of the Hauraki Rift: A Gravity Investigation of the Kerepehi Fault
2017. Dylan McGall, BSc Hons Project: Velocity Structure of the McMurdo Ice Shelf, Antarctica
2017. Ashleigh Fromont, MSc Project: A Seismic Investigation of the evolution and structure of the Kerepehi Fault, in the context of the Hauraki Rift, New Zealand.Co-supervised by Don Lawton (University of Calgary) and Julie Rowland.
2017. Caleb Gasston, MSc Project: Hidden Hazards: Buried Faults Beneath the Auckland Isthmus. Co-supervised with Jan Lindsay and Martin Brook.
2017. Anton Gulley, PhD. Computational approaches for estimating fault-zone properties using trapped waves. Primary Supervisor Jari Kaipio (Department of Mathematics).
2016. Xamyse Thompson, BSc Hons Project: Block Faulting in northern New Zealand
2016. Kuanjin Lee, MSc Project: Seismic characterization of Auckland CBD reclaimed soils. Co-supervised by Liam Wotherspoon (Department of Civil and Engineering) and Simon Nelis
2015. Ashleigh Fromont, BSc Hons. Aeromagnetic Data Modelling of the Paeroa Fault and Te Kopia Geothermal Field.
2015. Josh Wild, MSc Project: Seismic velocities beneath creeping gas hydrate slides - analysis of ocean bottom seismometer data. Primary Supervisor Ingo Pecher
2015. Joel MacMahon, MSc Project: Identifying Gas hydrates in the Tuaheni Landslide Complex with high resolution velocity analysis and the effect these gas hydrates have on submarine slide stability. Primary Supervisor Ingo Pecher
2014. Leena Khong, MSc Project: Seismic Analysis of the Rumble II East and West Seamounts, Kermedec Arc, New Zealand. Co-supervised by Ingo Pecher and Geoffroy Lamarche (NIWA)
2014. Tabitha Bushell, MSc Project: Patterns of cumulative and incremental fault growth in a magmatic continental rift; Manda-Hararo Rift, Afar, Ethiopia. Primary Supervisor Julie Rowland
2014. Jack Blunden, BSc Hons Project: Seismic Hazard of the Waikato Fault. Co-supervised by Jan Lindsay.
2013 Joel MacMahon, BSc Hons. A study of the effects of variations in sensor setup for a magnetotelluric sounding. Co-supervised by Graham Ryan (IESE)
2013. Vipal Govind, BSc Hons. The Puhinui Craters: Gravity and Magnetic Surveying of newly discovered volcanic centres within the Auckland Volcanic Field
2013. Alex Rasidin, BSc Hons. High Resolution Seismic Reflection Profiling of the Alpine Fault at Gaunt Creek.
2012 Kate Sheil, MSc, Structural and statistical analysis of the Dabbahu rift (Afar, Ethiopia) using multiple datasets of remote imagery. Primary supervisor J. Rowland
Immediate Past-President and Auckland Branch Representative of the Geoscience Society of New Zealand
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Simons, B. C., Cronin, S. J., Eccles, J. D., Bebbington, M. S., & Jolly, A. D. (2020). Spatiotemporal variations in eruption style, magnitude and vent morphology at Yasur volcano, Vanuatu: insights into the conduit system. BULLETIN OF VOLCANOLOGY, 82 (8)10.1007/s00445-020-01394-4
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Benjamin Simons
- Lay, V., Buske, S., Bodenburg, S. B., Townend, J., Kellett, R., Savage, M. K., ... Bertram, M. (2020). Seismic P Wave Velocity Model From 3-D Surface and Borehole Seismic Data at the Alpine Fault DFDP-2 Drill Site (Whataroa, New Zealand). JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-SOLID EARTH, 125 (4)10.1029/2019JB018519
- Simons, B. C., Jolly, A. D., Eccles, J. D., & Cronin, S. J. (2020). Spatiotemporal Relationships between Two Closely-spaced Strombolian-style. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS, 47 (5)10.1029/2019GL085687
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Shane Cronin, Benjamin Simons
- Hopkins, J. L., Smid, E. R., Eccles, J. D., Hayes, J. L., Hayward, B. W., McGee, L. E., ... Leonard, G. S. (2020). Auckland Volcanic Field magmatism, volcanism, and hazard: a review. NEW ZEALAND JOURNAL OF GEOLOGY AND GEOPHYSICS10.1080/00288306.2020.1736102
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Elaine Smid, Kasper van Wijk, Ian Smith, Jan Lindsay, Shane Cronin
- Gasston, C., Lindsay, J. M., Eccles, J. D., Brook, M., Hill, M., & Kenny, J. (2020). A geophysical and geomorphological investigation of large-offset normal faulting in Beachlands, Auckland. NEW ZEALAND JOURNAL OF GEOLOGY AND GEOPHYSICS10.1080/00288306.2020.1734032
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Martin Brook, Jan Lindsay, Caleb Gasston
- Eccles, J., Lutz, F., Prior, D., Hulbe, C., Forbes, M., Craw, L., & Still, H. (2020). Multi-component vertical seismic profiling and crosswell shooting to define Ross Ice Shelf Structure, Antarctica. SEG International Exposition and Annual Meeting 2019. 10.1190/segam2019-3215885.1
- Bahiru, E. A., Rowland, J. V., Eccles, J. D., & Kellett, R. L. (2019). Regional crustal-scale structural control on epithermal deposits within the Hauraki Goldfield, Coromandel Volcanic Zone, New Zealand: insight from integrated geological and aeromagnetic structural patterns. NEW ZEALAND JOURNAL OF GEOLOGY AND GEOPHYSICS, 62 (4), 461-482. 10.1080/00288306.2019.1574268
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Julie Rowland
- Townend, J., Sutherland, R., Toy, V., Doan, M.-L., Célérier B, Massiot, C., ... Remaud, L. (2017). Petrophysical, geochemical, and hydrological evidence for extensive fracture-mediated fluid and heat transport in the Alpine Fault's hanging-wall damage zone. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 18 (12), 4709-4732. 10.1002/2017GC007202