Dr James Sun
Professor Sun got his PhD in Psychology from Beijing Normal University. He had been an Associate Professor and Professor in the School of Labour and Human Resources at Renmin University of China, Beijing and the Associate Dean of SLHR from 2002 to 2009. He was one of the pioneers in developing and creating the first Master’s and doctoral degree programs in human resource management in China. He was appointed as the founding chair of the Department of Psychology at RUC in 2009 until he resigned from that position in 2015. Professor Sun was a Fulbright scholar at University of Florida in 2007-2008. He has been a visiting scholar in many universities world-wide including the University of New South Wales in Australia, the University of Toronto in Canada, Carnegie-Mellon University, Cornell University, Harvard University in the United States, Cambridge University in the United Kingdom. As a leading scholar in human resource management and organisational behaviour, he is the Ambassador of Academy of Management HR Division in China. He has published widely in international and domestic top tier journals and provided consulting and training for many MNCs and Chinese firms.
Professor Sun joined the Department of Management and International Business at the University of Auckland School of Business in 2016.
Research | Current
Dr James Sun's research interests include strategic human resource management, leadership effectiveness, individual differences and work attitude and behaviour in organisations, especially the management issues from a cross-cultural perspective.
Current research includes human resource management practices and employees’ responses, leadership styles and employee attitude and behaviour, and cross-cultural challenges facing Asian and New Zealand business.
Teaching | Current
GLMI 705 (People, Performance and Well-Being)
MGMT 712 (Advanced human resource management practices)
Measurement and Assessment in Organizations
Research Design and Data Analysis
Advanced Topics in Organizational Behavior
Dr Sun has supervised more than 20 PhD students and 110 master's students in the past 15 years. He supervises PhD students on a range of topics, including human resource management system and outcomes (both at organisational and individual level), the effectiveness of different types of leadership from a cross-cultural perspective, indigenous characteristics of Chinese management and leadership.
Service Award of HR Division, Academy of Management, 2014
Best paper proceedings of Academy of Management Annual Meetings, 2009; 2011
Professor, Department of Management and International Business (MIB)
Areas of expertise
Research design, theoretical development and data analysis for empirical studies.
Cross-cultural differences in human resource management, leadership in business field.
Development and growth of Chinese business organisations.
Editorial board members:
Academy of Management Learning and Education (2011-present)
Asian Journal of Social Psychology (2012-present)
Asia-Pacific Journal of Management (2013-present)
International Journal of Human Resource Management (2009-present)
Journal of Business and Psychology (2010-present)
Journal of Managerial Psychology (2011-present)
Management Learning (2008-present)
Advances in Psychological Sciences (in Chinese, 2010-present)
Human Resource Management and Development (in Chinese, 2005-present)
Member of Academic Associations:
Academy of Management (AOM)
International Association of Applied Psychology (IAAP)
International Association of Cross-Cultural Psychology (IACCP)
International Association of China Management Research (IACMR)
Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sun, J. J.-M., Hu, P., & Ng, S. H. (2017). Impact of English on education reforms in China: with reference to the learn-English movement, the internationalisation of universities and the English language requirement in college entrance examinations. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 38 (3), 192-205. 10.1080/01434632.2015.1134551
- Li, Y., Fu, F., Sun, J.-M., & Yang, B. (2016). Leader-member exchange differentiation and team creativity: An investigation of nonlinearity. Human Relations, 69 (5), 1121-1138. 10.1177/0018726715597481
- Sun, J.-M., & Lu, X. (2016). Reciprocation embedded in leader-member exchange: The role of belief in reciprocity and power distance orientation. Paper presented at Second HR Division International Conference (HRIC), Sydney, Australia. 20 February - 22 February 2016.
- Lin, C.-H., Sanders, K., Sun, J.-M., Shipton, H., & Mooi, E. (2016). From customer-oriented strategy to organizational financial performance: The role of human resource management and customer-linking capability. British Journal of Management, 27 (1), 21-37. 10.1111/1467-8551.12142
- Eskin, M., Sun, J. M., Abuidhail, J., Yoshimasu, K., Kujan, O., Janghorbani, M., ... Mechri, A. (2016). Suicidal behavior and psychological distress in university students: A 12-nation study. Archives of Suicide Research, 20 (3), 369-388. 10.1080/13811118.2015.1054055
- Li, Y., & Sun, J. M. (2015). Traditional Chinese leadership and employee voice behavior: A cross-level examination. The Leadership Quarterly, 26 (2), 172-189. 10.1016/j.leaqua.2014.08.001
- Liu, X. Y., Härtel CEJ, & Sun, J. J. M. (2014). The Workgroup Emotional Climate Scale: Theoretical Development, Empirical Validation, and Relationship With Workgroup Effectiveness. Group and Organization Management, 39 (6), 626-663. 10.1177/1059601114554453
- Jiang, J. Y., Law, K. S., & Sun, J. J. M. (2014). Leader-Member Relationship and Burnout: The Moderating Role of Leader Integrity. 领导－成员关系与下属工作倦怠：领导正直的调解作用. Management and Organization Review, 10 (2), 223-247. 10.1111/more.12022