Associate Professor Kevin Scott Simon
2000, Ph.D. in Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, U.S.A. 1994, M.S. in Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, U.S.A. 1991, B.A. in Biology, Wittenberg University, U.S.A.
I received a M.S. and Ph.D. from Virginia Tech where I studied the ecology of cave streams and karst aquifers in the U.S.A. and France. After my Ph.D. I was a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Otago in New Zealand where I investigated the ecosystem consequences of brown trout introduction and agricultural land use on streams. I was an Associate Professor in the School of Biology and Ecology at the University of Maine, U.S.A. prior to moving to the University of Auckland in 2012.
Research | Current
Research Interests: Freshwater and ecosystem ecology, watershed biogeochemistry, human influence on lakes and streams.
I have broad interests in freshwater ecology but I am primarily interested in interactions between ecosystem processes and community structure in streams, lakes, and groundwater systems. I am particularly interested in how changes in community structure and interactions translate into changes in how ecosystems function. My research involves a mix of biogeochemistry, invertebrate biology and microbial ecology. Examples of my current research include whole-watershed nitrogen tracking using stable isotopes at the Bear Brook Watershed in the U.S.A. (BBWM), stream function response to urbanisation and agricultural land use and mining, ecosystem consequences of invasive fish evolution in lakes and streams, and alpine lake-stream response to glacier loss. This research is conducted with collaborators and students in New Zealand and the U.S.A..
Teaching | Current
ENVSCI 201 - Sustaining our Environment
ENVSCI 301 - Environmental Effects and Management
ENVSCI 714 - Water Quality Science
ENVSCI 716 - Aquatic Ecological Assessment
BIOSCI 330 - Freshwater and Estuarine Ecology
- Emma Moffett (Ph.D., U. Auckland), Contemporary evolution of invasive fish across thermal gradients.
- Bingqin Xu, (Ph.D., U. Auckland), Lake phytoplankton assemblages; exploring the role of environmental and species interactions with Cyanobacteria populations.
- Finnbar Lee (Ph.D., U. Auckland), Metacommunity structure and connectivity in dendritic networks.
- Rose Gregersen (Ph.D., U. Auckland), Paleolimnological analysis of lake response to agricultural land use.
- Nikki Burrows (MSc, U. Auckland), Consequences of riparian restoration for greenhouse gas emissions.
- Nadia Dikareva (MSc, U. Auckland), Microplastic pollution in urban streams.
- Kiran Parmar (MSc, U. Auckland), Land use effects on the role of drainage network structure in determining community composition.
- Corianne Tatariw (Ph.D., U. Maine), 2016, Impact of anthropogenic disturbance on soil microbial community composition and activity: implications for ecosystem function.(co-supervised)Regina
- Rancatti (Ph.D., U. Maine), 2015, Biogeochemical coupling of multiple element cycles along the terrestrial-aquatic continuum.
- Thomas Parr (Ph.D., U. Maine), 2014, Effect of urbanization on dissolved organic matter: Composition, bioavailability and ecosystem health.
- Quenton Tuckett (Ph.D., U. Maine), 2012, Ecological causes and consequences of trait divergence in invasive white perch (Morone americana).
- Alexandre Safran (MSc, U. Auckland), Legacy effects of mine sediments in streams.
- Alana Wylie (MSc, U. Auckland), 2016, An economic and environmental conundrum: the combined impacts of dicamba and 2, 4-dichloropheoxyacetic acid herbicides on stream ecosystems.
- Rose Gregersen (MSc, U. Auckland), 2016, The response of stream ecosystem function to acid mine drainage remediation.
- Finnbar Lee (MSc, U. Auckland), 2015, Ecology of Gambusia affinis (Mosquitofish) along an agricultural land use gradient.
- Javiera Mulet Bunder (MSc, U. Auckland), 2015, Water quality and macroinvertebrate community structure of mining lakes and ponds across New Zealand.
- Weimiao Zheng (M.Sc., U. Auckland), 2014, The Effects of the nitrification inhibitor Dicyandiamide (DCD) in streams.
- Emma Moffett (M.Sc., U. Auckland), 2013, Microbial response to urbanisation and earthquake damage.
- Maria Hurtado Roa (M.Sc., U. Auckland), 2013, The effects of selected pharmaceuticals and personal care products on two New Zealand’s marine species.
- Katie Norris (M.S., U. Maine), 2012, Dam removal and migratory fish restoration
- Lee Demi (M.S., U. Maine), 2010, Anadromous alewives in linked lake-stream ecosystems: Can trophic interactions in lakes influence streams?
- Kristin Ditzler (M.S., U. Maine), 2010, Effects of white perch Introductions on food web dynamics: combining paleolimnological and whole-lake biomanipulation approaches
- Beth Cheever (M.S., JMU), 2006, The role of fish in stream communities: Do brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) and mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdi) cause trophic cascades in Appalachian streams?
- J. Seth Coffman (M.S., JMU), 2005, Evaluation of a predictive model for upstream fish passage through culverts.
Areas of expertise
Freshwater and ecosystem ecology
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Dodds, W. K., Collins, S. M., Hamilton, S. K., Tank, J. L., Johnson, S., Webster, J. R., ... McDowell, W. H. (2014). You are not always what we think you eat: selective assimilation across multiple whole-stream isotopic tracer studies. Ecology, 95 (10), 2757-2767. 10.1890/13-2276.1
- Mineau, M. M., Fatemi, F. R., Fernandez, I. J., & Simon, K. S. (2014). Microbial enzyme activity at the watershed scale: Response to chronic nitrogen deposition and acute phosphorus enrichment. Biogeochemistry, 117 (1), 131-142. 10.1007/s10533-013-9869-6
- Tuckett, Q. M., Simon, K. S., Saros, J. E., Halliwell, D. B., & Kinnison, M. T. (2013). Fish trophic divergence along a lake productivity gradient revealed by historic patterns of invasion and eutrophication. Freshwater Biology, 58 (12), 2517-2531. 10.1111/fwb.12229
- Slemmons, K. E. H., Saros, J. E., & Simon, K. (2013). The influence of glacial meltwater on alpine aquatic ecosystems: A review. Environmental Sciences: Processes and Impacts, 15 (10), 1794-1806. 10.1039/c3em00243h
- Mineau, M. M., Rigsby, C. M., Ely, D. T., Fernandez, I. J., Norton, S. A., Ohno, T., ... Simon, K. S. (2013). Chronic catchment nitrogen enrichment and stoichiometric constraints on the bioavailability of dissolved organic matter from leaf leachate. Freshwater Biology, 58 (2), 248-260. 10.1111/fwb.12054
- Niyogi, D. K., Harding, J. S., & Simon, K. S. (2013). Organic matter breakdown as a measure of stream health in New Zealand streams affected by acid mine drainage. Ecological Indicators, 24, 510-517. 10.1016/j.ecolind.2012.08.003
- Demi, L. M., Simon, K. S., Coghlan, S. M., Saunders, R., & Anderson, D. (2012). Anadromous alewives in linked lake-stream ecosystems: do trophic interactions in lakes influence stream invertebrate communities?. Freshwater Science, 31 (3), 973-985. 10.1899/11-124.1
- Simon, K. S., Simon, M. A., & Benfield, E. F. (2009). Variation in ecosystem function in Appalachian streams along an acidity gradient. Ecological Applications, 19 (5), 1147-1160. 10.1890/08-0571.1