I started my research career in Slovenia, while working as a research assistant at the Jožef Stefan Institute in Ljubljana. I received my Doctoral degree in Computer Science in 2012 from the International Postgraduate School Jožef Stefan in Ljubljana. Most of my postdoctoral career continued in academia in Germany and New Zealand, before I joined the University of Auckland as a lecturer.
2018 – 2019, Research Fellow/Data Scientist, Centre for Social Data Analytics, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand.
2014 – 2017, Postdoctoral Researcher, Computational Biology and Data Mining Group, Faculty of Biology, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz; Institute of Molecular Biology gGmbH, Germany.
2012 – 2014, Researche Associate, Scientific Computing and Bioinformatics Group, Institute for Computer Science, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany; Intel Visual Computing Institute, University of Saarland, Germany.
2011 – 2012, Consultant/Independent Researcher, NELA Development Center for Electrical and Electronic Industry, Slovenia.
2007 – 2011, Research Assistant (within the Young Researcher programme), Computer Systems Department, Jožef Stefan Institute, Slovenia.
Research | Current
Data Mining, Machine Learning, Mathematical Modelling, and Meta-Heuristic Optimisation, with applications in Biomedical Sciences, Engineering, Environmental Sciences and Social Sciences.
Teaching | Current
COMPSCI 760: Data Mining and Machine Learning
COMPSCI 762: Advanced Machine Learning
COMPSCI 369: Computational Biology
COMPSCI 111: An Introduction to Practical Computing
Areas of expertise
Large-scale general-purpose numerical optimization
Automated modeling of nonlinear dynamic systems
Bionformatics analysis of omics data
Predictive risk modeling from linked administrative data
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Cheng, X., Haeberle, S., Luca Shytaj, I., Gama-Brambila, R. A., Theobald, J., Ghafoory, S., ... Timm, A. (2020). NHC-gold compounds mediate immune suppression through induction of AHR-TGFβ1 signalling in vitro and in scurfy mice. Communications biology, 3 (1)10.1038/s42003-019-0716-8
- Dabiri, Y., Gama-Brambila, R. A., Taškova K, Herold, K., Reuter, S., Adjaye, J., ... Andrade-Navarro, M. A. (2019). Imidazopyridines as Potent KDM5 Demethylase Inhibitors Promoting Reprogramming Efficiency of Human iPSCs. iScience, 12, 168-181. 10.1016/j.isci.2019.01.012
- Taškova K, Fontaine, J.-F., Mrowka, R., & Andrade-Navarro, M. A. (2019). Literature optimized integration of gene expression for organ-specific evaluation of toxicogenomics datasets. PloS one, 14 (1)10.1371/journal.pone.0210467
- Mah, N., Taškova K, Amrani, K. E., Hariharan, K., Kurtz, A., & Andrade-Navarro, M. A. (2018). Evaluating cell identity from transcription profiles. BioRxiv10.1101/250431
- Theobald, J., Ghanem, A., Wallisch, P., Banaeiyan, A. A., Andrade-Navarro, M. A., Taškova K, ... Reuter, S. (2018). Liver-Kidney-on-Chip To Study Toxicity of Drug Metabolites. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 4, 78-89. 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.7b00417
- Taškova K, Fontaine, J.-F., Mrowka, R., & Andrade-Navarro, M. A. (2018). Evaluation of in vivo and in vitro models of toxicity by comparison of toxicogenomics data with the literature. Methods, 132, 57-65. 10.1016/j.ymeth.2017.07.010
- Taškova K, Fontaine, J.-F., & Andrade-Navarro, M. A. (26/4/2017). Evaluation of in vivo and In vitro models of drug effects by comparison to literature-derived phenotype data. Poster presented at The 5th International Work-Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering, IWBBIO 2017, Granada, Spain. IWBBIO 2017: International Work-Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering,. Related URL.
- Taškova K, & Andrade-Navarro, M. A. (3/9/2016). Rank Aggregation-Based Prioritization of Drug-Response Genes in Toxicogenomics data. Poster presented at The 15th European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB 2016), The Hague, The Netherlands. The 15th European Conference on Computational Biology, ECCB 2016,. Related URL.