Professor James Wright
MSc (1st Class Hons) PhD Auck, FNZIC, MACS
Research | Current
Our research covers a wide range of topics, but general underlying themes are transition metal chemistry and Green Chemistry. In our research we synthesise and study new compounds that display a broad diversity of reactivities, structures and bonding types. In some cases, such as our studies of metallabenzenes and inorganometallic chemistry, we investigate the fundamental properties of materials with unprecedented structures, bonding types or reactivities. In other cases our research is more practically orientated, as in the development and study of new catalysts for environmentally benign transformations and oxidations of organic compounds. The underlying concepts of Green Chemistry are used as the powerful guiding principles of our research in these areas.
Specific areas of current research interest are
- Organometallic chemistry, including metallabenzenes and new carbon donor ligands
- Iron-based catalysts for green chemistry oxidations
- New transition metal catalysts for Green Chemistry transformations
- Transition metal chemistry of the Group 14 elements Si, Ge, and Sn
A wide selection of research projects is available for BSc(Hons), MSc and PhD students in the areas mentioned under 'Research'. All projects are designed to provide valuable experience in diverse areas of chemistry. Physical techniques frequently used include multinuclear NMR, FTIR, UV-vis and mass spectroscopy as well as X-ray crystallography.
For more information visit the Wright Group website.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Zafar, M. N., Masood, S., Chaudhry, G.-E.-S., Muhammad, T. S. T., Dalebrook, A. F., Nazar, M. F., ... Wright, L. J. (2019). Synthesis, characterization and anti-cancer properties of water-soluble bis(PYE) pro-ligands and derived palladium(ii) complexes. Dalton transactions (Cambridge, England : 2003), 48 (41), 15408-15418. 10.1039/c9dt01923e
- Ismail, N., & Wright, L. J. (2018). Formation of vanillin and vanillic acid from kraft lignin through green chemical oxidation. Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences, 22 (6), 943-949. 10.17576/mjas-2018-2206-03
- Frogley, B. J., Perera, L. C., & Wright, L. J. (2018). Syntheses of Amino-Substituted Iridabenzofurans and Subsequent Selective N-Functionalisation. Chemistry - A European Journal, 24 (17), 4192-4192. 10.1002/chem.201706155
- Frogley, B. J., Perera, L., & Wright, L. J. (2018). Syntheses of amino-substituted iridabenzofurans and subsequent selective N-functionalisation. Chemistry, 24 (17), 4304-4309. 10.1002/chem.201704677
- Frogley, B. J., & Wright, L. J. (2018). Recent advances in metallaaromatic chemistry. Chemistry, 24 (9), 2025-2038. 10.1002/chem.201704888
- Onundi, Y., Drake, B. A., Malecky, R. T., DeNardo, M. A., Mills, M. R., Kundu, S., ... Simonich, M. T. (2017). A multidisciplinary investigation of the technical and environmental performances of TAML/peroxide elimination of Bisphenol A compounds from water. Green Chemistry, 19 (18), 4234-4262. 10.1039/c7gc01415e
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Naresh Singhal
- Zafar, M., Nazar, M., Raza, M., Mughal, E., Dalebrook, A., & Wright, L. (2017). Synthesis, characterization, preliminary biological screening, and interaction studies of the bis(pyridinium)amine compound, 4,4'-[(2-aminophenyl)azanediyl]bis(1-methylpyridin-1-ium)triflate with biological macromolecules. Russian Journal of General Chemistry, 87 (3), 554-563. 10.1134/S1070363217030288
- Frogley, B. J., & Wright, L. J. (2017). A Metallaanthracene and derived metallaanthraquinone. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition, 56 (1), 143-147. 10.1002/anie.201608500