Dr Monica Kam
Research | Current
My PhD research focused on locating, identifiying and characterising stem cells in the adult human brain in a pathway called the 'rostral migratory stream'
Teaching | Current
I currently lecture in BIOSCI 106 and BIOSCI 203. My lectures explore the role of Signal Transduction in cells, and how these pathways can potentially be altered by drugs.
I am also a mentor for students in BIOMED 399, where students practice general scientific skills they have learnt throughout their degree and demonstrate their graduate attributes. I also co-ordinate BIOMED 399 and the laboratories for BIOSCI 106 and BIOSCI 107.
Deputy Director of BSc Biomedical Science Programme
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Curtis, M. A., Kam, M., & Faull, R. L. (2011). Neurogenesis in humans. European Journal of Neuroscience, 33 (6), 1170-1174. 10.1111/j.1460-9568.2011.07616.x
- Kam, M., Curtis, M. A., McGlashan, S. R., Connor, B., Nannmark, U., & Faull, R. L. M. (2009). The cellular composition and morphological organization of the rostral migratory stream in the adult human brain. JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL NEUROANATOMY, 37 (3), 196-205. 10.1016/j.jchemneu.2008.12.009
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Maurice Curtis, Sue McGlashan, Richard Faull, Bronwen Connor
- Kam, M. Y. (2008). The Rostral Migratory Stream in the Normal Adult Human Brain The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland.
- Faull, R. L. M., Curtis, M. A., Kam, M., Dragunow, M., Connor, B., & Eriksson, P. S. (2008). Stem cells, neurogenesis and diseases of the basal ganglia in the human brain. Paper presented at 26th International Australasian Winter Conference on Brain Research, Queenstown, New Zealand. 1 August - 1 August 2008.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Faull, Maurice Curtis, Michael Dragunow
- Kam, M. Y. (1/1/2008). A Motorway in the Human Brain: Can human brain stem cells travel?. Poster presented at MacDiarmid Awards FRST, Auckland.
- Kam, M. Y., Curtis, M. A., Nannmark, U., Anderson, M. F., Frisen, J., Dragunow, M., ... Eriksson, P. (2007). Demonstration of the Rostral Migratory Stream in the Human Brain. Paper presented at Stem Cell Satellite - 7th IBRO World Congress of Neuroscience, Cairns. 8 July - 11 July 2007.
- Curtis, M. A., Kam, M., Nannmark, U., Anderson, M. F., Axell, M. Z., Wikkelso, C., ... Nordborg, C. (2007). Human neuroblasts migrate to the olfactory bulb via a lateral ventricular extension. SCIENCE, 315 (5816), 1243-1249. 10.1126/science.1136281
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Maurice Curtis, Richard Faull, Michael Dragunow
- Kam, M. Y., Curtis, M. A., Nannmark, U., Anderson, M. F., Frisen, J., Dragunow, M., ... Eriksson, P. S. (2007). Demonstration of the Rostral Migratory Stream in the Human Brain. Paper presented at 7th IBRO World Congress of Neuroscience, Melbourne. 12 July - 17 July 2007.