Dr Nigel Gearing
BA Auck., MA Well., PhD Macq.
Since gaining my initial TESOL Certificate in late 2001, I worked for three years here in Auckland as a general English and IELTS instructor at a private language academy before relocating to South Korea where I worked in the university system there for ten years, primarily as an English language instructor to all levels of students and began my PhD which analyses the motivation (or lack of) to acquire additional languages by L1 speakers of English. In order to complete this degree, I relocated to Australia and worked for four years casually as a Pathway and Foundation Lecturer, primarily assisting international and domestic students to transition to undergraduate and postrgraduate study and as a principal Post Entry Level Assessment (PELA) marker at Edith Cowan University and then at UNSW and the University of Western Sydney and as a workshop facilitator at Sydney University.
Nigel provides services to support and enhance learning and teaching activities of students and academic staff within the Engineering and Science Faculties.
• Partners with academic colleagues to integrate information and academic literacies into the curriculum
• Collaborates to deliver academic and information literacies learning using online, face-to-face and blended approaches
• Provides expertise in developing graduate attributes and capabilities in academic and information literacies
• Collaborates to create online learning objects to support learning
Korean Association of English Teachers (KOTESOL), British Association of Applied Linguistics (BAAL)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Gearing, N., & Roger, P. (2019). Where’s the vision? Rescuing integrativeness to understand the language learning motivation of English-speaking EFL instructors living in South Korea. System, 82, 122-131. 10.1016/j.system.2019.03.008
- Gearing, N. (2019). Korean language learning demotivation among EFL instructors in South Korea. Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching, 9 (1), 199-223. 10.14746/ssllt.2019.9.1.9
- Gearing, N. (2019). English Language Ideologies in Korea: Interpreting the Past and the Present by Jinhyun Cho [Book review]. Multilingua10.1515/multi-2019-0005
- Gearing, N., & Roger, P. (2018). ‘I’m never going to be part of it’: Identity, investment and learning Korean. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 39 (2), 155-168. 10.1080/01434632.2017.1323909
- Gearing, N., & Roger, P. (2018). Ebbs and flows: A longitudinal study of an English language instructor’s motivation to learn Korean. Journal of Language, Identity & Education, 17 (5), 292-305. 10.1080/15348458.2018.1465343
- Gearing, N. (2017). Factors affecting the motivation of EFL instructors living in South Korea to learn Korean Macquarie University. Sydney, Australia. Related URL.