Mr Rob Batty
Rob is a Senior Lecturer. He teaches intellectual property at an undergraduate and postgraduate level. Rob’s primary research interest is in the area of trade mark law.
Research | Current
Rob's SSRN page can be found here http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=1573739
Teaching | Current
- 2018 LAWCOMM 454: Trade Mark Law
- 2018 LAW 141: Legal Foundations
- 2018 LAWCOMM 713: Intellectual Property Law
University Teaching Excellence Award for Early Career Excellence in Teaching 2013
Business School Teaching Excellence Award for Early Career Excellence in Teaching 2012
Areas of expertise
- Trade Mark Law
- Member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand.
- Member of International Trademark Association.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Batty, R. (2020). Is it bad faith to apply for a trade mark you do not intend to use?. New Zealand Intellectual Property Journal, 9, 79-90.
- Batty, R. (2020). The rise, fall and convolution of the intent to use requirement under New Zealand trade mark law. Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 10 (1), 87-114. 10.4337/qmjip.2020.01.04
- Batty, R. (2019). Long road ahead for ‘Mānuka Honey’ trade mark. https://www.newsroom.co.nz/@ideasroom/2019/10/30/884152/long-road-ahead-for-manuka-honey-trade-mark. Related URL.
- Gray, E., & Batty, R. (2019). Ownership jurisprudence under the Trade Marks Act 2002 – past and future directions. New Zealand Intellectual Property Journal, 9 (1)
- Batty, R. J. (2019). Submissions to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment on Discussion Paper: Intellectual Property Laws Amendment Bill – Patents Act 2013, Trade Marks Act 2002, Designs Act 1953.
- Batty, R. (2019). The conclusiveness of trade mark registration: A New Zealand perspective. Intellectual Property Quarterly, 4, 306-329.
- Batty, R. J. (2018). Loss of Property Ownership and Registered Trade Mark Law. Australian Intellectual Property Journal, 28 (4), 118-143.
- Batty, R. (2017). Unravelling the distinctiveness knot in New Zealand's Trade Marks Act. New Zealand Business Law Quarterly, 23 (1), 36-60.