Mr Rohan Havelock
B.A. LL.B. (Hons) LL.M. (Cantab) (1st Class Hons), PG Cert Academic Practice, Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court
Rohan joined the Faculty of Law in January 2012 as a lecturer in Commercial Law. Previously Rohan practised in commercial litigation for 5.5 years at one of New Zealand's leading law firms, where he was a Senior Associate. Rohan has also worked as a Judges' Clerk at the High Court in Auckland. He is a graduate of the University of Auckland and holds the degree of Master of Laws (First Class Honours) from the University of Cambridge.
He has commented in the media on commercial law and insurance law issues, including on National Radio, and Radio Live and in the New Zealand Herald. He has also appeared on FairGo, commenting on insurance law and consumer law issues.
Research | Current
Insurance law, especially the interpretation of insurance contracts
Equity and Equitable Remedies, especially the role of 'conscience' in Equity and third party liability
Unjust Enrichment and Restitution
Private Law Taxonomy
Building and Construction Law
Teaching | Current
Law 306 Equity
LawComm 453 Aspects of Insurance Law
Faculty of Law Early Career Research Excellence Award, 2017
Faculty of Law Teaching Excellence Award, 2014
Leonard Coling Scholar, Sidney Sussex College, 2006
Areas of expertise
Insurance Law, Equity, Equitable Remedies, Unjust Enrichment, Restitution, Litigation Funding, Building and Construction Law
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Devonshire, P., & Havelock, R. (2018). The Impact of Equity and Restitution in Commerce. Bloomsbury Publishing. Pages: 272.
- Havelock, R. (2018). McGregor on Damages, 20th Edition. Edited by James Edelman, Justice of the High Court of Australia. Lloyds Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly, 2018, Part 3, 428-431.
- Havelock, R. (2018). Some Fallacies Concerning the Law of Contract Interpretation: A Reply to Professor McLauchlan. Lloyd's Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly, 2018 (1), 40-46. Related URL.
- Thorn, A., & Havelock, R. (2018). New Zealand. In S. Friel, J. Barnes (Eds.) Litigation Funding 2019 - Getting the deal through (pp. 58-63). London: Law Business Research.
- Havelock, R. (2018). Rivalry over Liability for Defective Transfers. In P. Devonshire, R. Havelock (Eds.) The Impact of Equity and Restitution in Commerce (pp. 119-147). Hart Publishing.
- Devonshire, P., & Havelock, R. (2018). Introduction: The Macro Level. In P. Devonshire, R. Havelock (Eds.) The Impact of Equity and Restitution in Commerce (pp. 1-16). Hart Publishing.
- Havelock, R. A., & Devonshire, P. (2018). Introduction: The Micro Level. In P. Devonshire, R. Havelock (Eds.) The Impact of Equity and Restitution in Commerce (pp. 17-32). Hart Publishing.
- Havelock, R. A., & Thorn, A. J. (2018). New Zealand. In L. Perrin (Ed.) The Third Party Litigation Funding Law Review (pp. 101-212). Related URL.
Semester One: on Research and Study Leave
Semester Two: Fridays 2pm-4pm
Primary office location
17 EDEN CRESCENT - Bldg 803
Level 3, Room 301
17 EDEN CRES