Dr Rodrigo Ramalho
MD (Psychiatry), PhD (Population Health)
My main research interests include global mental health, addiction, e-mental health, ethnicity and diversity, and cultural safety. I am also interested in academic inequities, which particularly affect the global south. Informed by a critical theory perspective, my teaching and research aim to contribute to the development of person and community-centred, ground-up, and culturally and contextually responsive health policies and healthcare. I previously worked as a psychiatrist in Paraguay, in rural mental health and addiction services.
Teaching | Current
POPLHLTH 737: Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
POPLPRAC 708: Assessment and Intervention with Addiction
POPLPRAC 707: Theory and Skills in Counselling Practice
- Dizon, L. Supporting 1.5 and second-generation Southeast Asian migrant adolescents through negotiating ethnic identity.
- Rojas, J. The link between context, regulatory systems, and intimate partner violence
- Hirst, C. Quality of life on Opioid Substitution Treatment (OST) in the Waikato, New Zealand
- Tian, W. Capstone project
- El Amani, A. Frequency of clinical supervision for the addiction workforce
- Hla, K. Changes in the consumption of alcohol during the early phase of Covid-19 pandemic in
- Nguyen, K. Dealing with COVID-19 at Dong Nai Paedriatic Hospital: Reorganising hospital structure
2019. Butland Award for Early Career Excellence in Teaching
Recipient of The University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarship.
2015. 11th Ain Shams International Congress. Early Career Psychiatrists Award. Cairo, Egypt
2013. WPA International Congress. Early Career Psychiatrists Fellowship Programme. Istanbul, Turkey
2008. WPA World Congress of Psychiatry. WPA Young Psychiatric Council Member. Prague, Czech Republic
2008. XXV Congress of the Latin American Psychiatric Association (APAL). Latin American Fellows Program Delegate. Isla Margarita, Venezuela
2008. XXIV Argentinian Congress of Psychiatry. 5th Edition of the Young Psychiatrists and Trainees Development Program of the Association of Argentinian Psychiatrists (APSA). Mar del Plata. Argentina
Founder, Grounded Theory Network, University of Auckland
Co-Founder, Coalición Paraguay Sin Tabaquismo (Smokefree Paraguay Coalition)
Elected Secretary of the Board Committee, Section on Preventive Psychiatry and Mental Health Promotion, World Psychiatric Association
Elected Member of the Executive Committee, Section on Education in Psychiatry, World Psychiatric Association
Internal Committee Member, Centre for Asian and Ethnic Minority Health Research, University of Auckland
Member, Centre For Addiction Research, University of Auckland
Member of the Medical Elective Committee, University of Auckland
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Ramalho, R. (2020). Alcohol consumption and alcohol-related problems during the COVID-19 pandemic: a narrative review. Australasian psychiatry : bulletin of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, 28 (5), 524-526. 10.1177/1039856220943024
- Ramalho, R., Adiukwu, F., Gashi Bytyçi D, El Hayek, S., Gonzalez-Diaz, J. M., Larnaout, A., ... Pereira-Sanchez, V. (2020). Telepsychiatry and healthcare access inequities during the COVID-19 pandemic. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 53. Related URL.
- Ramalho, R., Adiukwu, F., Gashi Bytyci, D., El Hayek, S., Gonzalez-Diaz, J. M., Larnaout, A., ... Pinto da Costa, M. (2020). Telepsychiatry During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Development of a Protocol for Telemental Health Care. FRONTIERS IN PSYCHIATRY, 1110.3389/fpsyt.2020.552450
- Ransing, R., Pinto da Costa, M., Adiukwu, F., Grandinetti, P., Schuh Teixeira, A. L., Kilic, O., ... Ramalho, R. (2020). Yoga for COVID-19 and natural disaster related mental health issues: Challenges and perspectives. Asian journal of psychiatry, 5310.1016/j.ajp.2020.102386
- Pereira-Sanchez, V., Adiukwu, F., El Hayek, S., Gashi Bytyçi D, Gonzalez-Diaz, J. M., Kudva Kundadak, G., ... Ramalho, R. (2020). COVID-19 effect on mental health: patients and workforce. The Lancet Psychiatry, 7 (6), 29-30. Related URL.
- Ransing, R., Adiukwu, F., Pereira-Sanchez, V., Ramalho, R., Orsolini, L., Schuh Teixeira, A. L., ... Gashi Bytçi D (2020). Mental Health Interventions during the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Conceptual Framework by Early Career Psychiatrists. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 5110.1016/j.ajp.2020.102085
- Ramalho, R., Samudio, C., González Martínez F, & Díaz-Reissner C (2020). Apoyo ciudadano a políticas para el control del tabaco en = Paraguay Public support in Paraguay for tobacco control policies. Revista de Salud Publica del Paraguay, 10 (2), 11-16. 10.8004/rspp.2020.diciembre.11-16
- Stowe, M. J., Calvey, T., Scheibein, F., Arya, S., Saad, N. A., Shirasaka, T., ... Ratta-apha, W. (2020). Access to Healthcare and Harm Reduction Services During the COVID-19 Pandemic for People Who Use Drugs. Journal of Addiction Medicine10.1097/ADM.0000000000000753