Dr Rhys Christopher Jones
EdD, MSc (immunology), MSc (medical biochemistry), BSc (Hons) Biology, PGCE FE (Cardiff university, University of Glasgow, Cardiff Metropolitan University and University of South Wales)
I joined the department in 2017 and have degrees in biology, medical biochemistry, immunology, teacher training and also Education. I have held lecturing positions in Cardiff University, London South East College and Birmingham City University (BCU), teaching mostly undergraduate courses in: statistics, analytical and inorganic chemistry, microbiology, biomedical science, nutrition and organic chemistry, mathematics for science, health and wellbeing, genetics, and clinical anatomy and physiology.
Research | Current
Current research interests include:
- Statistics education, especially across disciplines
- Mathematical and statistical anxiety
- Curriculum design
- Peer learning
- Emotional intelligence in education
- Quasi-experimental methods in education
Teaching | Current
PhD supervisor - Amy Renelle (2019 - present)
Director Science Scholars Programme
Course administrator STATS 10x
Stats teacher day organiser
Areas of expertise
Statistics education research
Experimental methods in educational research
Member of the New Zealand Statistical Society education committee
Member of the Royal Statistical Society UK education committee
Trustee of the Teaching Statistics Trust
Board member of the National Network for Excellence in Mathematics (UK)
Member of the British Sociological Association
Member of the International Association for Statistics Education
Member of the Auckland University Faculty of Science Teaching and Learning Innovation Group
Member of the Auckland Mathematics Association
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Jones, R. C. (2019). Statistical investigation measuring intelligence and creativity. Teaching Statistics, 41 (1), 36-40. 10.1111/test.12169
- Jones, R. C. (2018). Igniting the statistical spark in the social sciences. Journal of Mathematics and Statistical Science, 4 (10), 397-403. Related URL.
- Jones, R. C. (2018). Igniting the statistical spark in the social sciences. Paper presented at 10th International Conference on Teaching Statistics (ICOTS), Kyoto, Japan. 8 July - 13 July 2018. Looking back, looking forward. Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Teaching Statistics. Related URL.
- Jones, R. C. (2018). Igniting the statistical spark in the social sciences—Abilities, student feedback and teacher observations. Journal of Mathematics and System Science, 8, 153-174. 10.17265/2159-5291/2018.06.001
- Jones, R. C. (2016). Is more statistics good for everyone?. Paper presented at RSS International conference, Manchester. 5 September - 8 September 2016. RSS International Conference for all statisticians and users of data. Related URL.
- Jones, R. (2016). Igniting the statistical spark in the social sciences. Paper presented at Mathematics Education Innovation conference, University of Bath, England, UK. 30 June - 2 July 2016. Related URL.
- Jones, R. C. (2015). Igniting the statistical spark in the social sciences. Paper presented at RSS International Conference, Exeter. 7 September - 10 September 2015. Related URL.
- Jones, R. C. (2011). How may we best support biosciences learning in nurse education?. Paper presented at Networking for Education in Healthcare 2011. 6 September - 8 September 2011. Related URL.