Dr Rachel Simon-Kumar
PhD (Waikato, NZ); MPhil. in Applied Economics (JNU, New Delhi, India); M.A. in Psychology (Kerala University, India); B.A. in Psychology (Kerala University)
I have a background in feminist theory, gender, development, policy and migrant communities. I have previously taught at the University of Waikato, Victorial University of Wellington, and in the Arts Faculty at the University of Auckland. I have also worked in the New Zealand public sector in research and evaluation. My current role is as Director, Health Promotion at the School of Population Health.
Research | Current
Consumption and Conservation: Health and Wellbeing in India, PI - FRDF research
Health Diversity? Urban diversity and the potential of workplace encounters (AI - FRDF with Francis Collins and Sandy Lee)
Teaching | Current
POPLHLTH733: Concepts and Models in Health Promotion
POPLHLTH734: Strategies in Health Promotion
POPLHLTH 761: Women, Gender and Health
- Howson, M. Healthism and Young Women.
- Guha, P. Indian Tied Middling Migrants in Transnational Gender Spaces (PhD, second supervisor)
- Sakya, P. Adolescent Sexual Health in Nepal (PhD, Waikato University, advisor)
Completed Thesis and Dissertations:
- Perry, H. (2017) Children witnessing violence: an educational intervention for school teachers.
- Nandedkar, G. (2017) MDGs and education of young adolescent girls in India (The University of Waikato
- Kumar, S. (2016)Sexual Violence in Ethnic Communities: Data Issues
- Rahmanipour, S. (2016) Sexual Violence in Ethnic Communities: Analysis of discourses
- Lal, R. (2016) Austerity and health outcomes for marginalised communities.
- Hicks, K. (2015) Health promotion competencies.
- Tamanam, J (2015) Health seeking behaviours in the South Asian community.
- Brailsford, R. (2015, second supervisor) The concept of autonomy in health promotion.
- Okuyama, L. (2014, second supervisor) Resilience and Migrants in New Zealand: Psychological Aspects
- Fraser, R. (2012) Representation of Migrants and Refugees by NGOs in Aotearoa/New Zealand
- Lowry, A. (2012) Deliberative Democracy and Maori Inclusion in policy
- Kagl, R. (2012) Reproductive Health and Male Involvement in Papua New Guinea
- Njagi, W. (2012) Abortion in Kenya: An analysis of discourses
- Boyagoda, K. (2013) Heterogeneity and Female-Headed Households in Srilanka
- Duong, K. (2014) Human Trafficking in Vietnam: An evaluation of the National Action Programme (VNAP)
Post-graduate teaching in Health Promotion; Masters and Doctoral supervision; Research.
Areas of expertise
Gender, ethnicity and multiculturalism, reproductive health, policy, inclusion and marginality, development, migration.
BHSc (Hons) Director, 2017-2018.
Health Promotion (Director).
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Simon-Kumar, R., MacBride-Stewart, S., Baker, S., & Saxena, L. P. (2018). Towards north-south interconnectedness: A critique of gender dualities in sustainable development, the environment and women's health. Gender, Work and Organization, 25 (3), 246-263. 10.1111/gwao.12193
- Simon-Kumar, R. (2018). Translating Inclusion into Influence in New Zealand: The Conundrum of Engaging Gender Organizations in Public Policy. Journal of Women, Politics and Policy, 39 (2), 151-176. 10.1080/1554477X.2018.1449525
- Simon-Kumar, R. (2017). New restrictions will create migrant hierarchy. https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2017/08/27/44589/new-restrictions-will-create-migrant-hierarchy. Related URL.
- Simon-Kumar, R., Kurian, P. A., Young-Silcock, F., & Narasimhan, N. (2017). Mobilising culture against domestic violence in migrant and ethnic communities: practitioner perspectives from Aotearoa/New Zealand. Health and Social Care in the Community, 25 (4), 1387-1395. 10.1111/hsc.12439
- Lowry, A., & Simon-Kumar, R. (2017). The paradoxes of Māori-State inclusion: The case study of the Ōhiwa Harbour Strategy. Political Science, 69 (3), 195-213. 10.1080/00323187.2017.1383855
- MacBride-Stewart, S., & Simon-Kumar, R. (2017). The Janus face of infertility in the global north and south: Reviewing feminist contributions to the debate. In G. Davis, T. Loughran (Eds.) The Palgrave handbook of infertility in history: Approaches, contexts and perspectives (pp. 461-489). London: Palgrave Macmillan. 10.1057/978-1-137-52080-7_24
- Duong, K., & Simon-Kumar, R. (2017). Dignity and human trafficking policy in Vietnam: Deconstructing gender. In E. Sieh, J. McGregor (Eds.) Human dignity: Establishing worth and seeking solutions (pp. 159-178). London, United Kingdom: Palgrave Macmillan. 10.1057/978-1-137-56005-6_10
- Simon-Kumar, R. (2016). The paradoxes of deliberation: 'Te Ohaakii a Hine - National Network Ending Sexual Violence Together (TOAH-NNEST) and the Taskforce for Action on Sexual Violence (2007-2009). Political Science, 68 (1), 36-54. 10.1177/0032318716638561