Dr Stephen Gong
Stephen joined the University of Auckland in 2016 after teaching at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University for 19 years. His research covers broad areas of corporate finance, financial reporting, and transportation economics. His recent publications appeared in Journal of Corporate Finance; Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance; Finance Research Letters; British Accounting Review; Pacific Economic Review; Transportation Research Part E; and Transport Reviews, among others. Current research projects center around the role of the media in financial markets, corporate disclosure, and investment efficiency. Other interests include real estate economics, infrastructure investment and finance, and the Chinese economy. Stephen obtained external competitive grants totaling over HKD 1.2 million in the past few years.
Stephen loves teaching, and has been Programme Leader for two Degree programmes in Hong Kong. Prior to joining academia he worked for a multinational company in Jamaica. Stephen has consulted with government agencies and international organizations in the areas of transport logistics and international trade. He is an Editorial Board member for two international referred journals and is a regular referee for numerous other journals.
Teaching | Current
Business Finance (BUSMGT 732)
I am happy to take on research students or academic visitors who are interested in corporate finance and finance-related applications to transport/logistics, real estate, and infrastructure. I am also interested in financial and accounting issues specific to China. Comparative studies of financial systems and financial markets across different countries would also be of interest.
Areas of expertise
Corporate Finance (media, textual analysis, corporate investments, effects of guanxi, government and politics in finance)
Financial Reporting (voluntary disclosure, audit pricing, earnings response coefficients, post-earnings announcement drift)
Transportation Economics (airline finance, shipping finance, investment and finance of sea ports and airports, financial management in transport logistics)
Infrastructure/Real Estate Investment and Finance
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chen, J. J., Cheng, X., Gong, S. X., & Tan, Y. (2017). Implications of Political Patronage and Political Costs for Corporate Disclosure: Evidence From the Shanghai Pension Corruption Scandal. Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 32 (1), 92-122. 10.1177/0148558X15579491
- Chen, J. J., Cheng, X., Gong, S. X., & Tan, Y. (2014). Do higher value firms voluntarily disclose more information? Evidence from China. The British Accounting Review, 46 (1), 18-32. 10.1016/j.bar.2013.06.003
- Firth, M., Gong, S. X., & Shan, L. (2013). Cost of government and firm value. Journal of Corporate Finance, 21, 136-152. 10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2013.01.008
- Gong, S. X., Ye, H.-Q., & Zeng, Y. Y. (2013). Impacts of the recent financial crisis on ship financing in Hong Kong: a research note. Maritime Policy and Management, 40 (1), 1-9. 10.1080/03088839.2012.745202
- Gong, S. X. H., Cullinane, K., & Firth, M. (2012). The impact of airport and seaport privatization on efficiency and performance: A review of the international evidence and implications for developing countries. Transport Policy, 24, 37-47. 10.1016/j.tranpol.2012.06.020
- Shan, L., & Gong, S. X. (2012). Investor sentiment and stock returns: Wenchuan Earthquake. Finance Research Letters, 9 (1), 36-47. 10.1016/j.frl.2011.07.002
- Cullinane, K., Firth, M., Fung, M. K. Y., Gong, S. X. H., Law, J. S., & Zhang, A. (2011). Development of Air Transport Industry in the Asia-Pacific Region. Pacific Economic Review, 16 (1), 42-46. 10.1111/j.1468-0106.2010.00533.x
- Gong, S. X. H. (2009). Event Study in Transport Research: Methodology and Applications. Transport Reviews, 29 (2), 207-222. 10.1080/01441640802291680