Dr Stephen Poletti
PhD (Physics) University of Newcastle, UK. PhD (Economics) , University of Auckland
I was appointed as a lecturer in the Economics department in 2009. Prior to that I had a post-doc position in the Physics department at the University of Adelaide. My research area is Energy Economics and Industrial Organisation.
Research | Current
My main research area is Energy Economics. Current projects include (1) modelling the impact of real-time electricity prices on market power in electricity markets (2) calculating market power rents in the NZ electricity market in the wholesale market (3) The impact of large scale low marginal cost renewables on the NZ electricity market (4) Using NASA MERA data to understand the potwntial for wind generation of electricity in New Zealand. (5) The otential for local energy innovation ine NZ (5) Modelling the uptake of electric cars using a feebate system.
Teaching | Current
ECON 372 Energy and Environmental Economics
Econ 783 Energy Economics
Areas of expertise
Energy Economics, Electricity Markets, Environmental Economics
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Browne, O., Poletti, S., & Young, D. (2015). How does market power affect the impact of large scale wind investment in 'energy only' wholesale electricity markets?. Energy Policy, 87, 17-27. 10.1016/j.enpol.2015.08.030
- Poletti, S., Browne, O., & Young, D. (2015). How does market power affect the impact of large scale wind investment in 'energy only' wholesale electricity markets?. IAEE Energy Forum, 2015 (3rd Quarter), 21-22. Related URL.
- Browne, O., Poletti, S. J., & Young, D. (2014). Can Agent-Based Models Forecast Spot Prices in Electricity Markets? Evidence from the New Zealand Electricity Market. Energy Economics, 45, 419-434. 10.1016/j.eneco.2014.08.007
- Poletti, S. J. (2013). Green Growth and Poverty Reduction in NZ. Paper presented at Sustainability Conference: Sustainability Rhetoric, Facts and Fictions, Massey, Albany Campus. 13 November - 15 November 2013. Related URL.
- Browne, O., Poletti, S. J., & Young, D. (2013). Does Wind Kill Energy Only Markets. Paper presented at 2013 International Energy Workshop, Paris, France. 19 July - 21 July 2013. Related URL.
- Browne, O., Poletti, S. J., & Young, D. (2012). A critique of Wolak's evaluation of the NZ electricity market afterword: a rejoinder. New Zealand Economic Papers, 46 (1), 53-55. 10.1080/00779954.2011.651579
- Poletti, S., Browne, O., & Young, D. (2012). Can agent based models forecast spot prices in electricity markets?. 35th IAEE International Conference: Energy Markets Evolution Under Global Carbon Constraints: Assessing Kyoto and Looking Forward Perth, Australia. Related URL.
- Browne, O., Poletti, S., & Young, D. (2012). Simulating Market Power in the NZ Electricity Market. New Zealand Economic Papers, 46 (1), 35-50. 10.1080/00779954.2011.649566