Associate Professor Timothy Kirpal Kuhner
Professor Kuhner is known for his critical approaches to the law of democracy. His teaching and research focus on comparative constitutional law, corruption, political finance, and law & society. He is the author of Capitalism v. Democracy: Money in Politics and the Free Market Constitution (Stanford University Press, 2014), a book that received acclaim from the Harvard Law Review, Thomas Piketty, Lawrence Lessig, Erwin Chemerinsky, and the Law and Politics Book Review. He is the co-editor of Democracy by the People (Cambridge University Press, 2018), an edited volume on campaign finance reform featuring a number of the world’s leading experts on democratic integrity. He is also the author of many law review articles—such as, American Plutocracy, American Kleptocracy, and The Corruption of Liberal and Social Democracies—that address the intersection between law, economic inequality, and political inequality.
Kuhner has spoken about issues of corruption and political finance at major venues across Europe and North America, including the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Transparency International UK, the Harvard COOP, the Columbia University Bookstore, and Common Cause. Prior to joining the University of Auckland, Kuhner was a Fulbright Senior Scholar at the University of Barcelona, a tenured associate professor at Georgia State University College of Law, a law clerk on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and a Watson Fellow in Latin America. Professor Kuhner has also served as a visiting professor at Duke Law School and the University of Warsaw. He began his teaching career at Roger Williams University and the University of Navarra in Spain.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kuhner, T. (2017). The market metaphor, radicalized: How a capitalist theology Trumped democracy. Election Law Journal: Rules, Politics, and Policy, 16 (1), 96-131. 10.1089/elj.2016.0402
- Kuhner, T. K. (2017). The next American revolution. Western New England Law Review, 39 (4), 477-498.
- Kuhner, T. (2017). American kleptocracy: How to categorise Trump and his government. King's Law Journal, 28 (2), 201-238. 10.1080/09615768.2017.1366156
- Kuhner, T. K. (2016). The new tyranny: A preface to the 2016 elections in the United States. The World Financial Review
- Kuhner, T. K. (2016). The corruption of liberal and social democracies. Fordham Law Review, 84 (6), 2453-2476. 10.2139/ssrn.2691048
- Kuhner, T. K. (2016). Plutocracy and partyocracy: Oligarchies born of constitutional interpretation. Review of Constitutional Studies, 21 (1), 115-142. 10.2139/ssrn.2862442
- Kuhner, T. K. (2015). American plutocracy. King’s Law Journal, 26 (1), 44-75. 10.1080/09615768.2015.1035127
- Kuhner, T. K. (2014). Capitalism v. democracy: Money in politics and the free market constitution. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press. Pages: 377.