Mr Rohan Havelock
B.A. LL.B. (Hons) LL.M. (Cantab) (1st Class Hons), PG Cert Academic Practice, Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court
Rohan joined the Faculty of Law in January 2012 as a lecturer in Commercial Law. Previously Rohan practised in commercial litigation for 5.5 years at one of New Zealand's leading law firms, where he was a Senior Associate. Rohan has also worked as a Judges' Clerk at the High Court in Auckland. He is a graduate of the University of Auckland and holds the degree of Master of Laws (First Class Honours) from the University of Cambridge.
He has commented in the media on commercial law and insurance law issues, including on National Radio, and Radio Live and in the New Zealand Herald. He has also appeared on FairGo, commenting on insurance law and consumer law issues.
Research | Current
Insurance law, especially the interpretation of insurance contracts
Equity and Equitable Remedies, especially the role of 'conscience' in Equity and third party liability
Unjust Enrichment and Restitution
Private Law Taxonomy
Building and Construction Law
Teaching | Current
Semester 1, 2020: LawHons 734 Selected Issues in Insurance Law
Semester 2, 2020: Law 306 Equity
Faculty of Law Mid-Career Research Excellence Award, 2019
Faculty of Law Early Career Research Excellence Award, 2017
Faculty of Law Teaching Excellence Award, 2014
Leonard Coling Scholar, Sidney Sussex College, 2006
Co-editor, New Zealand Law Review
Faculty Adviser for Students With Disabilities
Areas of expertise
Insurance Law, Equity, Equitable Remedies, Unjust Enrichment, Restitution, Litigation Funding, Building and Construction Law
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Havelock, R. (2019). Reconciling Equitable Claims with Torrens Title. Sydney Law Review, 41 (4), 455-480.
- Havelock, R. A. (2019). INSURANCE – NEW ZEALAND – HOME INSURANCE – WHETHER RIGHT TO REPLACEMENT BENEFITS CAN BE ASSIGNED WHERE INSURED HAS NOT INCURRED THE COST OF REINSTATEMENT SO AS TO ENTITLE THE ASSIGNEE TO REINSTATE AND RECOVER THE COSTS. Australian Law Journal and Reports, 93 (10), 827-832. Related URL.
- Havelock, R. (2019). Insurance Law. New Zealand Law Review (2), 215-243. Related URL.
- Thorn, A., & Havelock, R. (2019). New Zealand. In L. Perrin (Ed.) The Third Party Litigation Funding Law Review (pp. 121-233). London: Law Business Research Ltd. Related URL.
- Thorn, A., & Havelock, R. (2019). New Zealand. In S. Friel, J. Barnes (Eds.) Litigation Funding 2020 (pp. 40-46). London: Law Business Research.
- Devonshire, P., & Havelock, R. (2018). The Impact of Equity and Restitution in Commerce. Bloomsbury Publishing. Pages: 272.
- Havelock, R. (2018). McGregor on Damages, 20th Edition. Edited by James Edelman, Justice of the High Court of Australia. Lloyds Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly, 2018, Part 3, 428-431.
- Havelock, R. (2018). Submission on Review of Insurance Contract Law Issues Paper. MBIE website, 1-9.