Professor Steven Dakin
Research | Current
I study human vision using psychophysics (the measurement of the limits of performance), computational modelling and brain imaging. My basic research examines how we recognise objects (such as faces or words) in central and peripheral vision. My applied research is concerned with vision in neurodevelopmental disorders (such as autism) and psychiatric illness (such as schizophrenia). In Auckland my work has focused on measuring vision in children - using technologies like eyetracking, virtual reality and tablet computers - and developing treatments for disorders such as amblyopia ("lazy eye").
Areas of expertise
Visual neuroscience, optometry, sensory systems, psychophysics, vision, seeing, amblyopia, glaucoma, macular disease, autism, schizophrenia
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Dakin, S. C., & Turnbull, P. R. K. (2016). Similar contrast sensitivity functions measured using psychophysics and optokinetic nystagmus. Scientific Reports, 6, 34514-34514. 10.1038/srep34514
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Phil Turnbull
- Shah, N., Dakin, S. C., Dobinson, S., Tufail, A., Egan, C. A., & Anderson, R. S. (2016). Visual acuity loss in patients with age-related macular degeneration measured using a novel high-pass letter chart. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 100 (10), 1346-1352. 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2015-307375
- Abrahamyan, A., Silva, L. L., Dakin, S. C., Carandini, M., & Gardner, J. L. (2016). Adaptable history biases in human perceptual decisions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113 (25), E3548-E3557. 10.1073/pnas.1518786113
- Wiecek, E., Lashkari, K., Dakin, S. C., & Bex, P. (2015). Metamorphopsia and interocular suppression in monocular and binocular maculopathy. Acta Ophthalmologica, 93 (4), e318-e320. 10.1111/aos.12559
- Wiecek, E., Lashkari, K., Dakin, S. C., & Bex, P. (2015). Metamorphopsia and interocular suppression in monocular and binocular maculopathy. Acta ophthalmologica, 93 (4), e318-e320.
- Kwon, M., Wiecek, E., Dakin, S. C., & Bex, P. J. (2015). Spatial-frequency dependent binocular imbalance in amblyopia. Scientific reports, 5
- Tibber, M. S., Anderson, E. J., Bobin, T., Carlin, P., Shergill, S. S., & Dakin, S. C. (2015). Local and global limits on visual processing in schizophrenia. PloS one, 10 (2)
- Wiecek, E., Lashkari, K., Dakin, S. C., & Bex, P. (2015). Novel quantitative assessment of metamorphopsia in maculopathy. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, 56 (1), 494-504.