Dr Sara Michele Hanning
Sara completed her PhD in pharmacy at the University of Otago in 2013 before taking a position as a research associate in paediatric pharmaceutics at UCL School of Pharmacy, UK. Sara returned to NZ in January 2017 and joined the University of Auckland as a Lecturer in Clinical Pharmacy Practice. Her research interests remain at the interface between pharmaceutics and clinical practice, with a focus on the development of safe and effective dosage forms for children.
- Course Director
- Module leader, Infectious Diseases
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Hanning, S. M., Medlicott, N. J., & Oliphant, E. A. (2019). Clinical Pharmacy Considerations in Special Population: Pediatrics. In Z. Babar (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Pharmacy Practice and Clinical Pharmacy (pp. 815-830). Academic Press.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Elizabeth Oliphant
- Bunc, M., Hanning, S. M., Prieto, J. M., Kristl, J., & Orlu, M. (2019). Characterisation of an in vitro aged cell culture model. Farmacia, 67 (2), 240-247. 10.31925/farmacia.2019.2.7
- Purohit, T. J., Hanning, S. M., & Wu, Z. (2018). Advances in rectal drug delivery systems. Pharmaceutical development and technology, 23 (10), 942-952. 10.1080/10837450.2018.1484766
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Zimei Wu
- Bhusal, P., Rahiri, J. L., Sua, B., McDonald, J. E., Bansal, M., Hanning, S., ... Procter, G. (2018). Comparing human peritoneal fluid and phosphate-buffered saline for drug delivery: do we need bio-relevant media?. Drug delivery and translational research, 8 (3), 708-718. 10.1007/s13346-018-0513-9
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Darren Svirskis, Jeff Harrison, Andrew Hill, Mahima Bansal, Jamie-Lee Rahiri, Bruce Su'a, Manisha Sharma
- Hanning, S., & Tuleu, C. (2018). Administering medication to children via the rectal route: A pilot investigation into the views of parents and carers. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2017.08.030
- Apperley, O., Medlicott, N., Rich, A., Hanning, S., & Huckabee, M. L. (2017). A clinical trial of a novel emulsion for potential use as a saliva substitute in patients with radiation-induced xerostomia. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 44 (11), 889-895. 10.1111/joor.12545
- Neubert, A., Baarslag, M. A., Dijk, M. V., Rosmalen, J. V., Standing, J. F., Sheng, Y., ... Rawcliffe, L. (2017). The CLOSED trial; CLOnidine compared with midazolam for SEDation of paediatric patients in the intensive care unit: Study protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open, 7 (6).10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016031
- Hanning, S. M., Orlu Gul, M., Toni, I., Neubert, A., Tuleu, C., & CloSed Consortium (2017). A mini-review of non-parenteral clonidine preparations for paediatric sedation. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 69 (4), 398-405. 10.1111/jphp.12662