Dr Simone Rodda
2015, Monash University, PhD, Psychology & Public Health
My research uses theory to solve real world social problems. It concerns the question of how people think about addiction and why and how they engage in behaviour change. Spanning a number of areas including implementation intentions, goal setting, self-regulation, self-control and help-seeking I am particularly interested in developing interventions that are accessible to sub-clinical populations. I am the founder of the Change Strategies Project (www.changestrategies.ac.nz) which investigates implementation planning and goal setting for reductions in alcohol, internet pornography, internet gaming, overeating, sugar, gambling and caffeine. The underpinning program philosophy is self-determination theory and interventions developed to specially bridge the intention-behaviour gap.
Research | Current
- A classification system of change strategies for problem gambling
- The effectiveness of action and coping planning in Victorian Gaming Venues
- An evaluation of an online CBT program for problem gambling
- A study investigating the impact of SMS and e-therapy for treatment seekers
- Identification of problem gambling in primary care services
- Identification of the needs of family members impacted by gambling
- An analysis of change strategies used for internet addiction, pornography and internet gaming
- An analysis of change strategies used for reduction in unhealthy eating and consumption of alcohol
Teaching | Current
Communities and Addictions (POPLHLTH 307)
Theory and Skills of Counselling Practice (POPLPRAC 707)
Areas of expertise
Gambling and Addictions
E-mental health including chat, email, forums, SMS and online self-help
Brief and minimal interventions
Regional Associate Editor for International Gambling Studies
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Knaebe, B., Rodda, S. N., Hodgins, D. C., & Lubman, D. I. (2019). Behaviour Change Strategies Endorsed by Gamblers Subtyped by Psychological Distress, Risky Alcohol Use, and Impulsivity. Journal of gambling studies, 35 (1), 275-292. 10.1007/s10899-018-9803-x
- Rodda, S. N., Bagot, K. L., Manning, V., & Lubman, D. I. (2019). "It was terrible. I didn't set a limit": Proximal and Distal Prevention Strategies for Reducing the Risk of a Bust in Gambling Venues. Journal of gambling studies10.1007/s10899-019-09829-0
- Rodda, S. N., Dowling, N. A., & Lubman, D. I. (2018). E-MENTAL HEALTH OPTIONS FOR PROBLEM GAMBLING: THE CURRENT STATE OF THE EVIDENCE. DRUG AND ALCOHOL REVIEW. (pp. 2).
- Booth, N., & Rodda, S. N. (2018). "I AM ADDICTED TO SUGAR. I EAT WAY TOO MUCH OF IT AND CAN'T CONTROL MY INTAKE": BEHAVIOUR CHANGE STRATEGIES FOR LIMITING SUGAR CONSUMPTION. DRUG AND ALCOHOL REVIEW. (pp. 1).
- Rodda, S. N., Booth, N., Landon, J., & Lubman, D. I. (2018). "COME UP WITH A PLAN FOR BOOZE FREE DAYS": BEHAVIOUR CHANGE STRATEGIES FOR LIMITING OR REDUCING ALCOHOL. DRUG AND ALCOHOL REVIEW. (pp. 1).
- Rodda, S. N., Bagot, K. L., Cheetham, A., Hodgins, D. C., Hing, N., & Lubman, D. I. (2018). Types of change strategies for limiting or reducing gambling behaviors and their perceived helpfulness: A factor analysis. Psychology of addictive behaviors : journal of the Society of Psychologists in Addictive Behaviors, 32 (6), 679-688. 10.1037/adb0000393
- Wilson, S. R., Lubman, D. I., Rodda, S., Manning, V., & Yap, M. B. H. (2018). The personal impacts of having a partner with problematic alcohol or other drug use: descriptions from online counselling sessions. Addiction Research & Theory, 26 (4), 315-322. 10.1080/16066359.2017.1374375
- Rodda, S. N., Booth, N., Vacaru, M., Knaebe, B., & Hodgins, D. C. (2018). Behaviour change strategies for internet, pornography and gaming addiction: A taxonomy and content analysis of professional and consumer websites. Computers in Human Behavior, 84, 467-476. 10.1016/j.chb.2018.03.021