Mr Tim Poasa Baice
MA, BA, PG DIP
Tim Baice is an Academic Coordinator for Pasifika Success at the Faculty of Education and Social Work, at the University of Auckland. He is also a Tutor in the School of Critical Studies in Education (CRISTIE) currently teaching in EDUC 118 and EDUC 321. His work is centred on the provision of academic and pastoral support for undergraduate and post graduate Pasifika Students, as well advising the Faculty on issues of participation, retention and completion for Pasifika students through the Associate Dean Pasifika. Tim’s research background is in Development Studies with a particular focus on Pacific Youth, including Youth Agency in the Pacific, leadership and youth advocacy.
Research | Current
Intergenerational power relationships; critically analysing the space of youth advocacy within domestic and regional government policy negotiations and spaces across the Pacific. Currently interested in critically understanding different models, traditional nuances and contemporary conceptualisations of leadership in the Pacific to understand how Pacific youth exert agency within these spaces.
Teaching | Current
Tim coordinates Pasifika Success which provides academic and pastoral support to all Pacific students in foundation. undergraduate, graduate diploma and postgraduate programmes at the Faculty of Education and Social Work
Courses currently teaching on:
- EDUC 321: Politics, Philosophy and Education
- EDUC 118: History and Society in New Zealand Education
- All Bar None Scholarship Recipient: One Young World Summit, Bangkok, Thailand 17 - 21, November 2015.
- International Youth Delegate Grant Award; Sri Lanka Government; World Conference on Youth, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 6 - 10 May, 2014.
Pasifika Success Coordinator
Overall the role is responsible for academic and pastoral support intiatives for Pacific students at the Faculty of Education and Social Work. Part of the role involves managing the Tuakaqu Mentors - linked to the Tuakana Mentoring programme across the University of Auckland. The position also has responsibilities to the Central Equity Office, and to the Director of Pacific Strategy and Engagement and works across the University to support Pacific students and staff.
Executive Assistant to Associate Dean Pasifika
Providing administrative support and assistance to the Associate Dean Pasifika. Overall purpose of the Associate Dean Pasifika is to provide strategic and external leadership that enables the Faculty to grow its capacity and capability to be effectively responsive to Pasifika priorities (as described in national education policy for all sectors). The EA role entails providing administrative support to both the Pasifika External Advisory Komiti (PEAK) and the internal Komiti Pasifika.
Areas of expertise
- Education policy - tertiary sector
- Equity - tertiary education
- Youth - Pacific youth, youth agency, youth political participation
- Pasifika Education - tertiary sector
- Pasifika Academic Support/ Strategies
- Pacific Research Methodologies
- Faculty of Education and Social Work Equity Commitee: Member
- Equity Supplementary Grant (ESG) Subcommittee: Chair
- Pasifika External Advisory Komiti (PEAK): Secretary
- Komiti Pasifika: Secretary
- University of Auckland Tuakana Network: Member
- Academuc Success Centre (ASC) Committee: Member
- Critical Studies in Education (CRISTIE) Post Graduate Committee: Member
- Faculty of Education and Social Work Manukau Board of Studies: Member
- Faculty of Education and Social Work Post Graduate Committee: Member
- Faculty of Education and Social Work Undergraduate Targeted Admission Scheme (UTAS) Committee: Member
Professional Groups and Associations
- One Young World (OYW) - Coordinating Ambassador (CA) Oceania
- Pacific Circle Consortium (PCC)
- Oceanic Comprative and International Education Society (OCIES)
- Pacific Islands Political Studies Association (PIPSA)
- Pacific History Association (PHA)
- Ulimasao Bilingual Association: Executice Committee Secretary
- New Zealand Tertiary Education Union (TEU) University of Auckland Branch: Member
- Association of Pasifika Staff in Tertiary Education (APSTE) Incorporated: Secretary/Public Relations
- Bilingual leo Pasifika Languages Coalition
- Research Unit in Pacific and International Education (RUPIE)
- Love Life Fono Trust: Board Member
- Samoa National Youth Council (SNYC) Incorporated: Communications and Advocacy Advisor
- Otahuhu Mangere Youth Group (OMYG): Board Member
- Auckland Samoa Fa'afafine Association (ASFA): Board Member
- Pasifika Greens: Co Convenor
- Samoa Business Network Incorporated (SBN): Secretary
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Amituanai-Toloa, M., Baice, T., Papalii Fouvaa, M., Ulugia-Pua, M., Passells, V. M., & Schwalger, J. (2012). From 'telling' to critical thinking for Pasifika student success. Tracing footprints for tomorrow: past lessons, present stories, future lives National University of Samoa, Apia.
Monday - Thursday 9.00am - 5.00pm
Primary office location
N - BLOCK. EPSOM - Bldg 6EN
Level 2, Room 204A
EPSOM CAMPUS, 74 EPSOM AVE