Dr Vladislav Sorokin
Doctor of Sciences (Physics & Mathematics)
In 2010 obtained MSc degree from Saint-Petersburg State Polytechnical University and was awarded the medal of the University for exceptionally high achievements in educational and research activities.
In 2011 successfully defended PhD thesis at the Institute of Problems in Mechanical Engineering Russian Academy of Science after less than 1.5 year of postgraduate studies.
From 2006 till 2013 was a member of the research and development division at the Research and Engineering Corporation “Mekhanobr-Tekhnika”, Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
Since 2010 was a research fellow at the Laboratory of Vibrational Mechanics, Institute of Problems in Mechanical Engineering Russian Academy of Science (senior research fellow since 2012).
In 2013 awarded a personal post-doctoral grant from the Danish Council for Independent Research and FP7 Marie Curie Actions – COFUND for the project “Tailoring dynamic properties of spatially periodic structures” which was carried out at the Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen, Denmark, during 2014-2016.
In 2016 awarded Doctor of Science degree from the Institute of Problems in Mechanical Engineering Russian Academy of Science.
Since 2017 is a Lecturer at the Mechanical Engineering Department of the University of Auckland
Published more than 40 articles, contributions to monographs, patents, and refereed proceedings including papers in such journals as Proceedings of the Royal Society A and Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.
Research | Current
Structural dynamics and wave propagation, in particular, linear and nonlinear dynamics of spatially periodic structures and composite materials, e.g. vibration and acoustic isolators, building frames, bridge trusses, railway tracks, etc.
Analytical and semi-analytical methods for studying complex linear and nonlinear dynamics of systems from mechanics, physics, chemistry, biomechanics, and other fields of science and engineering
Nonlinear dynamics of micro- and nanoscale electro mechanical systems and structures, e.g. sensors, amplifiers, and energy harvesters
Novel passive and active control strategies of vibration suppression in flexible mechanical structures
Fluid dynamics and fluid-structure interaction, e.g. effects of vibration on motion of rigid and deformable inclusions in a fluid with application to novel separation technologies
Awarded a personal post-doctoral grant from FP7 Marie Curie Actions – COFUND
Paper [Sorokin, V.S., et al., (2012) Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science] was nominated as the winner of the SAGE Best Paper Prize in 2012
Awarded the medal of Saint-Petersburg State Polytechnical University for exceptionally high achievements in educational and research activities
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Neumeyer, S., Sorokin, V. S., van Gastel, M. H. M., & Thomsen, J. J. (2019). Frequency detuning effects for a parametric amplifier. JOURNAL OF SOUND AND VIBRATION, 445, 77-87. 10.1016/j.jsv.2018.12.036
- Sorokin, V. S. (2019). On the effects of damping on the dynamics of axially moving spatially periodic strings. WAVE MOTION, 85, 165-175. 10.1016/j.wavemoti.2018.12.001
- Blekhman, I. I., & Sorokin, V. S. (2018). On a “deterministic” explanation of the stochastic resonance phenomenon. Nonlinear Dynamics, 93 (2), 767-778. 10.1007/s11071-018-4225-y
- Sorokin, V., & Blekhman, I. L. I. Y. A. (2018). On the stochastic resonance phenomenon in parametrically excited systems. European Journal of Applied Mathematics10.1017/S0956792518000608
- Sorokin, V. S., & Thomsen, J. J. (2017). Wave propagation in axially moving periodic strings. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 393, 133-144. 10.1016/j.jsv.2017.01.014
- Neumeyer, S., Sorokin, V. S., & Thomsen, J. J. (2017). Effects of quadratic and cubic nonlinearities on a perfectly tuned parametric amplifier. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 386, 327-335. 10.1016/j.jsv.2016.09.013
- Demidov, I. V., & Sorokin, V. S. (2016). Motions of deformable inclusions in a horizontally oscillating vessel with a compressible fluid. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 383, 324-338. 10.1016/j.jsv.2016.07.034
- Sorokin, V. S. (2016). Effects of corrugation shape on frequency band-gaps for longitudinal wave motion in a periodic elastic layer. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 139 (4), 1898-1908. 10.1121/1.4945988