Associate Professor Allan Donald Jeffryes Badley
Associate Professor Allan Badley is a specialist in late eighteenth-century Viennese music. His publications include several hundred scholarly editions of works by major contemporaries of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, including editions of the complete works for piano and orchestra by Ferdinand Ries, mass settings by Wanhal, Hofmann and Hummel, and an extensive series of symphonies and concertos. He has published articles on Leopold Hofmann, Ignaz Pleyel, Wanhal and Haydn and is currently enagaged in the preparation of a thematic catalogue of Hofmann's works for the series Tabulae Musicae Austricae. He is co-founder of the Hong Kong-based publishing house Artaria Editions, which is widely regarded as one of the leading specialist publishers of 18th-century music, and is a member of the editorial boards of Eighteenth-Century Music and Haydn - Online Journal of the Haydn Society of North America. Allan Badley is a University of Auckland Distinguished Alumni Award winner (2003) and in 2007 he was awarded the Goldene-Pleyel-Medaille of the Internationale Ignaz Joseph Pleyel Gesellschaft (Austria). In 2013 he was appointed Musicological Leader of the Pleyel Gesamtausgabe.
Research | Current
- Music - 18th & early 19th centuries
- Music editing and publishing
- Music bibliography
- 18th-century symphony & concerto
- 18th-century Viennese sacred music
- Programmatic music in the Napoeonic age
- Leopold Hofmann
- Ignaz Pleyel
- Johann Baptist Wanhal
Teaching | Current
MUS 144G: Turning Points in Western Music
MUS 341: The Eighteenth-Century Symphony
MUS 357/757 Editing as Interpretation
Recent Doctoral Supervisions
Lisa Chung: The Evolution of Thumb Position in Cello Playing
Elizabeth Nicholl: Early New Zealand Printed Music (1850-1907)
Current Doctoral Supervisions
Marie-Claire Taylor: The Viennese Requiem Mass (1740-1820)
Sam Girling: Curious virtuosity: The emergence and decline of unconventional repertory for timpani and percussion in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries
Halvor Hosar: the Masses of Johann Batist Wanhal
Eddie Giffney: Enabling Authenticity: Commonalities between early and modern keyboard techniques
Imogen Morris: Baroque Alto Recorders in g' and their Repertoire
Recent Master's Supervisons
Fiona Tibbles: The Seven Ages of a Soprano
- University of Auckland Distinguished Alumunus Award, 2003
- Goldene Pleyel-Medaille, Internationale Ingaz Joseph Pleyel Gesellschaft, 2007
Associate Dean, Development and Externational Relations, Faculty of Ceative Arts & Industries
Director of Research, School of Msuic
Areas of expertise
My broad area of expertise is Viennese music in the late 18th and early 18th centuries with a specialist focus on major contemporaries of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven. My work also addresses critical areas such as the dissemination of music in this period and how it reflects changing fashions in musical consumption as well as reflecting local performance tradiitons.
School of Music Research Committe (Chair)
School of Music Executive Committee
Faculty of Creative Arts & Industries Executive Committee
Editorial Board member for Eighteenth-Century Music; Haydn - Online Journal of the Haydn Society of North America
Leader, Pleyel Gesamtausgabe
President, Association Johann Baptist Wanhal
University of Auckland Alumni Orator
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- BADLEY, A. L. L. A. N. (2017). 5. INTERNATIONALES IGNAZ-JOSEPH-PLEYEL-SYMPOSIUM IGNAZ-PLEYEL-MUSEUM, RUPPERSTHAL, 17–18 JUNE 2016. Eighteenth Century Music, 14 (01), 166-168. 10.1017/S1478570616000555
- Badley, A. (Ed.) (2017). Ignaz Pleyel: Sinfonie concertante in Eb (Benton 111) Wellington, New Zealand: Artaria Editions. ISMN 979-0-67451-028-8.
- Badley, A. D. (2016). Mozart in Prague [Book review]. Fontes Artis Musicae, 63 (3), 334-334.
- Badley, A. D. (2016). François Devienne. Flute Concerto No.12 in A Major Wellington: Artaria Editions. i-75. ISMN 979-0-67451-293-0. Related URL.
- Badley, A. (Ed.) (2016). Hofmann, Leopold: Requiem in C minor (AE410) – sheet music Wellington, New Zealand: Artaria Editions. i-130. ISMN 979-0-67451-003-5. Related URL.
- Badley, A. D. (2015). The Scoring of Early Classical Concertos, 1750-1780, by Richard Maunder. Woodbridge, Suffolk, The Boydell Press, 2014 [Book review]. Fontes Artis Musicae, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 48-50, 62 (1), 48-50.
- Badley, A. D. (2014). Chronological Signifiers in the Concertos of Johann Baptist Wanhal. Radovi Zavoda za znanstveni rad, Varaždin, 25, 169-198. Related URL.
- Badley, A. D., & Gallois, P. (2014). Booklet notes for the CD: François Devienne: Flute Concertos 1-4. Swedish Chamber Orchestra. Patrick Gallois, flute& conductor. CD text in English, French & GermanHong Kong & European Union. Related URL.