Professor Aiguo Patrick Hu
BE, ME, PhD
Dr Aiguo Patrick Hu migrated to New Zealand in the end of 1996 from Xian, China.
Before that he worked as a lecturer, the director of the electrical section of the China-Italy Cooperative Technical Training Center in Xian, and later the general manager of a technical development company. He holds 15 patents in wireless power transfer and micro-computer control technologies, has published more than 200 referred journal and conference papers, authored a monograph on wireless/contactless power transfer, and contributed 4 book chapters on electrical machines and wireless power transfer systems.
Patrick served as the Deputy Head of Department (Research), the past Chair of the IEEE New Zealand North Section, Chair of IEEE North Joint Industrial Electronics and Industry Applications Chapter. President of Xian Jiaotong Univ New Zealand Alumni Association, and President of New Zealand Chinese Scientists Association.
Dr Patrick Hu was also the Head of Resaerch of PowerbyProxi (www.powerbyproxi.com), and also an executive editor of Journal of Wireless Power Transfer, Cambridge Univ Press (https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/wireless-power-transfer).
PhD Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Auckland (2001).
ME Electrical Engineering, Xian Jiaotong University, China (1988).
BE Electrical Engineering, Xian Jiaotong University, China (1985).
Please note the following positions are filled now, so please don't submit your applications through any more.
Research | Current
- Wireless/Contactless power transfer.
- Power electronics circuit modelling and control.
- Application of power electronics in biomedical and renewable energy systems.
- Power electronics.
- Power systems.
- Wireless power transfer.
One of the most cited papers in IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuit and Systems (TBCS):
Teaching | Current
- ELECTENG 735 Green Energy Technologies
- ELECTENG 703 Advanced Power Systems
- ELECTENG 731 Power Systems
- ELECTENG 734 Power Electronics
- ELECTENG 208 Circuit and Systems (for Mechtronics)
- ELECTENG 701A and B (ECE Final Year Research Projects)
- ENGGEN 701 Professional Project (Engineering Projects in Community Services EPICS, and Formula SAE)
ECE Staff Student Consultative Committee. Faculty FSAE advisor. Head of Research, PowerbyProxi.
Areas of expertise
Wireless power transfer, Power electronics, Renewable energy integration.
- Senior member, IEEE
- Chairman, IEEE NZ North Section
- Member, NZ Engineers for Social Responsibility
- Vice Chairman, NZ Chinese Scientists Society
- Committee member, National Univ of Singapore Auckland Alumni Chapter
- Chairman, Xian Jiaotong Univ New Zealand Alumni Association.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Xia, C., Li, X., Sun, Q., Liao, Z., & Hu, A. P. (2020). Improving magnetic coupling characteristics of square coupler ICPT system by round corner design. Electrical Engineering, 102 (2), 1021-1033. 10.1007/s00202-020-00932-9
- Zhao, L., Thrimawithana, D. J., Madawala, U. K., & Hu, A. P. (2020). A Push-Pull Parallel Resonant Converter-Based Bidirectional IPT System. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER ELECTRONICS, 35 (3), 2659-2667. 10.1109/TPEL.2019.2930283
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Udaya Madawala, Lei Zhao, Duleepa Thrimawithana
- Zhu, Q., Zou, L. J., Su, M., & Hu, A. P. (2020). Four-plate capacitive power transfer system with different grounding connections. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ELECTRICAL POWER & ENERGY SYSTEMS, 11510.1016/j.ijepes.2019.105494
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lixiang Zou, Qi Zhu
- Wu, X. Y., Su, Y. G., Hu, A. P., Zou, L. J., & Liu, Z. (2020). A Sleeve-Type Capacitive Power Transfer System with Different Coupling Arrangements for Rotary Application. IEEE Access, 8, 69148-69159. 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2986359
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lixiang Zou
- Zhu, Q., Zang, S., Zou, L. J., Zhang, G., Su, M., & Hu, A. P. (2019). Study of coupling configurations of capacitive power transfer system with four metal plates. WIRELESS POWER TRANSFER, 6 (2), 97-112. 10.1017/wpt.2019.10
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Qi Zhu, Lixiang Zou, Shaoge Zang
- Mostafa, T. M., Muharam, A., Hu, A. P., & Hattori, R. (2019). Improved CPT system with less voltage stress and sensitivity using a step-down transformer on receiving side. IET Power Electronics, 12 (10), 2634-2641. 10.1049/iet-pel.2018.6206
- Hua, R., & Hu, A. P. (2019). Modeling and Analysis of Inductive Power Transfer System With Passive Matrix Power Repeater. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INDUSTRIAL ELECTRONICS, 66 (6), 4406-4413. 10.1109/TIE.2018.2860560
- Su, Y. G., Zhao, Y. M., Hu, A. P., Wang, Z. H., Tang, C. S., & Sun, Y. (2019). An F-Type Compensated Capacitive Power Transfer System Allowing for Sudden Change of Pickup. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 7 (2), 1084-1093. 10.1109/JESTPE.2018.2859423
903-346, Newmarket Campus
368 Khyber Pass Road,
Newmarket, Auckland 1023
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering
The University of Auckland
Primary office location
ENGINEERING BLOCK 1 - Bldg 401
Level 8, Room 802
20 SYMONDS ST