Dr Anna Prasanthi Ponnampalam
Anna was involved in the investigation of the changing global gene expression profile of the endometrium during her PhD research and has also investigated candidate genes for premature ovarian failure. She has extensive knowledge on steroid hormone regulation of implantation and physiological and morphological changes of endometrium in preparation for embryo implantation. Studies range from whole human endometrial physiology to organ cultures to cell biology and molecular biology. She has also gained knowledge of placental function and physiology and the role of the placenta in parturition.
Research | Current
- Epigenetic regulation of implantation of the embryo
- Gene expression and regulation of human endometrium during the menstrual cycle
- The role of myostatin on placenta
- Reproductive immunology
- Placental regulation of parturition
- Faculty Development Fund
Teaching | Current
- Lecturer for Clinical Pharmacology and Perinatal Physiology papers at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- PhD student mentor
- Involved in the LENScience student-scientist mentor programme
- PhD adviser
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Feng, X., Dearden, P. K., Baker, P. N., & Ponnampalam, A. P. (2015). NOTCH Pathway Components Are Differentially Expressed in Human Placentas From Pregnancies Complicated By Preeclampsia. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES. (pp. 1).
- Ponnampalam, A. P., Zhang, H., & Baker, P. N. (2015). Sirtuin 1 Regulates the Expression of Nutrient Transporters in Human Placental Cells In Vitro.. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES. (pp. 1).
- Vincent, Z. L., Mitchell, M. D., & Ponnampalam, A. P. (2015). Regulation of TIMP-1 in Human Placenta and Fetal Membranes by lipopolysaccharide and demethylating agent 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine. Reproductive biology and endocrinology : RB&E, 13
- Munro, S. K., Mitchell, M. D., & Ponnampalam, A. P. (2013). Histone deacetylase inhibition by trichostatin A mitigates LPS induced TNFα and IL-10 production in human placental explants. Placenta, 34 (7), 567-573.
- Logan, P. C., Ponnampalam, A. P., Steiner, M., & Mitchell, M. D. (2013). Effect of cyclic AMP and estrogen/progesterone on the transcription of DNA methyltransferases during the decidualization of human endometrial stromal cells. Molecular human reproduction, 19 (5), 302-312.
- Logan, P. C., Steiner, M., Ponnampalam, A. P., & Mitchell, M. D. (2012). Cell cycle regulation of human endometrial stromal cells during decidualization. Reproductive Sciences, 19 (8), 883-894. 10.1177/1933719112438447
- Vincent, Z. L., Mitchell, M. D., & Ponnampalam, A. P. (21/3/2012). Epigenetic Regulation of Matrix Metalloproteinases and their Inhibitors in Parturition. Poster presented at Society for Gynecologic Investigation - 59th Annual Scientific Meeting, San Diego, USA.
- Mitchell, M. D., Ponnampalam, A. P., & Rice, G. E. (2012). Epigenetic regulation of cytokine production in human amnion and villous placenta. Mediators of Inflammation, 201210.1155/2012/159709