Dr Anna Prasanthi Ponnampalam
Anna was involved in the investigation of the changing global gene expression profile of the endometrium during her PhD research and has also investigated candidate genes for premature ovarian failure. She has extensive knowledge on steroid hormone regulation of implantation and physiological and morphological changes of endometrium in preparation for embryo implantation. Studies range from whole human endometrial physiology to organ cultures to cell biology and molecular biology. She has also gained knowledge of placental function and physiology and the role of the placenta in parturition.
Research | Current
- Epigenetic regulation of implantation of the embryo
- Gene expression and regulation of human endometrium during the menstrual cycle
- The role of myostatin on placenta
- Reproductive immunology
- Placental regulation of parturition
- Faculty Development Fund
Teaching | Current
- Lecturer for Clinical Pharmacology and Perinatal Physiology papers at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- PhD student mentor
- Involved in the LENScience student-scientist mentor programme
- PhD adviser
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Ponnampalam, A. P. (2017). The role of SIRT1 in the development of gestational diabetes. Paper presented at 111 Project Launching Ceremony & International Collaborative Innovation Symposium, Chongqing, China. 22 March - 25 March 2017.
- Liao, S., Vickers, M., Stanley, J., Ponnampalam, A., Baker, P., & Perry, J. (2016). The placental variant of human growth hormone reduces maternal insulin sensitivity in a dose-dependent manner in C57BL/6J mice. Endocrinology, 157 (3), 1175-1186. 10.1210/en.2015-1718
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mark Vickers, Jo Perry
- Vincent, Z. L., Mitchell, M. D., & Ponnampalam, A. P. (2015). Regulation of TIMP-1 in Human Placenta and Fetal Membranes by lipopolysaccharide and demethylating agent 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, 13 (1).10.1186/s12958-015-0132-y
- Vincent, Z. L., Mitchell, M. D., & Ponnampalam, A. P. (2015). Regulation of MT1-MMP/MMP-2/TIMP-2 axis in human placenta. Journal of Inflammation Research, 8, 193-200. 10.2147/JIR.S88039
- Ponnampalam, A. P., Zhang, H., & Baker, P. N. (2015). Sirtuin 1 regulates the expression of nutrient transporters in human placental cells in vitro. Paper presented at 62nd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society for Reproductive Investigation, San Francisco, California, USA. 25 March - 28 March 2015. Reproductive Sciences.
- Feng, X., Dearden, P. K., Baker, P. N., & Ponnampalam, A. P. (2015). NOTCH Pathway Components Are Differentially Expressed in Human Placentas From Pregnancies Complicated By Preeclampsia. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES. (pp. 1).
- Munro, S. K., Mitchell, M. D., & Ponnampalam, A. P. (2014). Labour is associated with altered class I histone deacetylase expression in human gestational tissues. Paper presented at SGI 2014: 61st Annual Scientific Meeting of Society for Gynecologic Investigation, Firenze Fiera Congress and Exhibition Center, Florence, Italy. 26 March - 29 March 2014. Reproductive Sciences.
- Munro, S. K., Mitchell, M. D., & Ponnampalam, A. P. (2013). Histone deacetylase inhibition by trichostatin A mitigates LPS induced TNFα and IL-10 production in human placental explants. Placenta, 34 (7), 567-573. 10.1016/j.placenta.2013.04.004