Associate Professor Abhisek Ukil
Abhisek received the B.Eng (First Class Honours) degree in electrical engineering from the Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India, in 2000 and the M.Sc. (dual) degree in electronic systems and engineering management from the Univ. of Bolton, Bolton, UK and Southwestphalia Univ of Applied Sciences, Germany in 2003. He received the Ph.D. degree from the Pretoria (Tshwane) University of Technology, Pretoria, South Africa in 2006, working on automated disturbance analysis in power systems with South African national utility.
From 2006–2013, he was Principal Scientist at the ABB (Asea Brown Boveri) Corporate Research, Baden-Daettwil, Switzerland, where he led several projects on smart grid, protection (medium & low-voltage), distribution automation, control, condition monitoring (motor, circuit-breaker). From 2013–2017, he was Assistant Professor in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, where he led a group of 20 researchers including 7 PhD students, attracting competitive funding over 5 Million SG$, with several industry collaborations, namely Rolls-Royce@NTU Corporate Lab - NRF, NEC Laboratories America, Inc., SP Group (formerly Singapore Power - PowerGas), ENGIE (formerly GDF SUEZ), France, DNV GL, and Singapore National Reseach Foundation, namely, Energy Market Authority (EMA), Economic Development Board (EDB). From 2000–2002, he was Software Engineer at InterraIT, India. He is inventor of 12 Patents, and author of more than 190 refereed Papers, 2 Monographs: 'Fault Analysis and Protection System Design for DC Grids' (Springer, Singapore), 'Intelligent Systems & Signal Processing in Power Engineering' (Springer, Germany), 2 Book chapters. His research interests include Renewable Energy & Grid Integration, Hybrid AC/DC Microgrid, HVDC: Protection & Control, Energy Storage & EV, Energy Efficiency, Power Systems/Electronics, Condition Monitoring, Asset Management. He is a Senior Member of IEEE, USA, Registered Chartered Engineer (CEng), UK, and Member of IET, UK. He is Associate Editor of the journals IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, and Springer-Electrical Engineering.
Research | Current
- 2017 – (UoA, New Zealand)
- 2013 – 2017 (NTU, Singapore)
- PI: Energy Market Authority (EMA), Singapore, Project: 'Advanced Multi-Sensor Anomaly Monitoring and Analytics for Gas Pipeline'
- Co-PI: Energy Market Authority (EMA), Singapore,
Project: 'Novel Hierarchical Transactive Energy Management System Incorporating Predictive Assessment Techniques for Enhanced Community Market Participation'
- Co-PI: Economic Development Board (EDB), Singapore,
Project: 'Improving Reliability and Economic Performance of Microgrids'
- PI: Rolls-Royce@NTU Corporate Lab - NRF, (2014 – 2018), PI: 2 projects, Co-PI: 1 project.
- PI: NEC Laboratories America, Inc., Project: 'Feasibility Study on Energy Efficient Control of Building'.
- PI: NTU, Singapore Internal grant, Projects: 'Protection of Future DC Grid', 'Impact of Control Schemes in DC Grid Protection'.
- 2006 – 2013 (ABB, Switzerland)
- IP (in public domain): 9 Patents, 1 Book, 2 Book chapters, 26 papers (14 Journal, 12 Conf.), 22 Technical reports (not in public domain).
- Projects (Several Man-Year, Stage-Gate model based, Technologies transferred to business divisions):
Smart Grid: Current-only Directional Overcurrent Protection, Medium Voltage (MV) Distribution Automation, Next-generation Fast Protection,
Sensor Applications in Smart Grid: Distributed Temperature Sensing (DTS), Current and Voltage Sensors,
Condition Monitoring: High Voltage Circuit Breakers, Low Voltage Induction Motors, Motor Controllers, Flowmeters,
Machine Learning: Hardware Neural Network, Applications in Power Systems, Field Instruments, Automation Methods, Embedded Wavelet.
Teaching | Current
- ELECTENG 703/738 – Advanced Power Systems (Renewable Energy Generation & Grid Integration, Application of Power Electronics in Power Systems: HVDC/FACTS/STATCOM) [2020/Sem2, 2019/Sem2, 2018/Sem2, 2017/Sem2]
- ELECTENG 731 – Power Systems (Power Systems: Load Flow, Fault Analysis, Stability Analysis) [2020/Sem1, 2019/Sem1, 2018/Sem1]
- ELECTENG 735 – Green Energy Technologies (Microgrid) [2020/Sem2, 2018/Sem2]
UoA, New Zealand (2017 – ):
- Xibeng Zhang, "Power Management of Hybrid AC/DC Microgrid," (Main-Sup) (PhD, 2018–).
- Muhammad Aqib, "Voltage and Frequency Regulation in Distribution Grid with EV Integration," (Main-Sup) (PhD, 2018–).
- Aratrika Ghosh, "Integration of Solar PV Generation with Wireless Power Transfer," (Main-Sup) (PhD, 2018–).
- Dongyu Li, "DC Fault Detection and Management in Multi-terminal HVDC Grid," (Main-Sup) (PhD, 2019–).
- Don Gamage, "Energy Management of Smart Grid Connected Multi Hybrid Energy Storage System," (Main-Sup) (PhD, 2019–).
- Mubashir Wani, "Intelligent Control Strategies for Efficient Building Energy Management Systems (BEMS)," (Co-Sup) (PhD, 2018–).
- Ravi Patel, "Control of Mix-Generation System," (Co-Sup) (PhD, 2019–).
- Don Gamage, "Energy Management of Smart Grid Connected Hybrid Energy Storage System," (MS, 2018–2019). [Currently PhD student at UoA].
- Yawen Yan, "Energy Management and Control Hardware Implementation for Microgrid," (MS, 2019).
- Ardila Erdiansyah, "Grid Integration and Demand Response Management of Geothermal Power Plant in Indonesia," (MS, 2018–2019).
- Ugyen Chophel, "Voltage Stability Study of Bhutan Power System During Fault on the Neighbouring System," (MS, 2018–2019).
- Hizkia Reiner Bontong, "Wind Resource Assessment in East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia," (MS, 2019).
- Krunal Tailor, "Fault Detection and Locating Using Electromagnetic Time Reversal (EMTR) Technique for HVDC Transmission Network," (MS, 2019) [Currently Control Systems Engineer at Trustpower, NZ].
- Kundan Singh, "Fault Detection in HVDC Transmission Line Based on S-Transform Technique," (MS, 2019).
- Srikanth Gopal, "Validation and Modeling of Electrical Load Profile in Residential Buildings in New Zealand," (MS, 2018).
- Felipe Resende de Oliveira, "Comparative Analysis of Energy Efficiency in HVAC System," (MS, 2017–2018) [Currently Product Manager at ABB, Brazil].
- Xibeng Zhang, "Control & Coordination of AC-DC Microgrid," (MS, 2017). [Currently PhD student at UoA].
NTU, Singapore (2013 – 2017):
- Dr. Benfei Wang, "Microgrid Energy Management," (Post-doc, 2016–2018). [Currently Faculty at Sun Yat-sen University, China].
- Dr. Nagesh Geddada, "DC Grid Protection," (Post-doc, 2015–2017). [Currently Faculty at IIPE, India].
- Dr. Soumya Subhra Nag, "Fault Management in Marine Network," (Post-doc, 2016–2017). [Currently Faculty at IIT Delhi, India].
- Dr. Satish Kumar Kollimalla, "Energy Storage," (Post-doc, 2015–2017). [Currently Research Fellow at Rolls-Royce@NTU Corporate Lab, Singapore].
- Dr. Sugunakar Reddy Ravula, "Gas Network Condition Monitoring," (Post-doc, 2015–2018). [Currently Research Fellow at ERIAN, NTU, Singapore].
- Dr. VSK Murthy Balijepalli, "Grid Compliance," (Post-doc, 2016–2017). [Currently Research Fellow at ETH CREATE Lab, Singapore].
- Dr. Narsa Reddy Tummuru, "Microgrid Energy Management," (Post-doc, 2015–2016). [Currently Faculty at NIT, Mandi, India]
- Dr. Pushpendu Kar, "Gas Network Condition Monitoring," (Post-doc, 2015-2016). [Currently Faculty at Univ. of Nottingham, China Campus].
- Dr. Dasari Rao, "Building Energy Management," (Post-doc, 2014). [Currently Post-doc at Univ. Exeter, UK].
- Dr. Yew-Ming Yeap, "DC Fault Detection and Clearance in VSC-HVDC System”, (PhD, 2013–2017). [Currently Scientist at A*Star Singapore]
- Dr. Ujjal Manandhar, “Control Strategies for Hybrid Energy Storage System in DC Grid”, (PhD, 2014–2019). [Currently Researcher at NTU Singapore]
- Dr. Kuntal Satpathi, “Fault Management in Marine Network”, (PhD, 2014–2019). [Currently Research Associate at Rolls-Royce Singapore]
- Dr. Kalpesh Subhash Chaudhari, “Hybrid Energy Storage for Microgrid Applications”, (PhD, 2015–2019). [Currently Researcher at National Renewable Energy Laboratory, USA]
- Dr. Yang Shicong, “Grid Compliance for the Land based Power Generators”, (PhD, 2015–2019). [Currently Engineer at Rolls-Royce Singapore]
- Nishanthi Duraisamy, “Modelling & Monitoring of Subsea Cables for Long Distance Power Transmission”, (PhD, 2015–2019).
- Hanwen Zhang, “Building Energy Management and Demand Response”, (PhD, 2015–2019).
- Shah Dev Dikul, “Power Grid Modelling for Grid Compliance Study,” (MS, 2016–2017).
- Srinivasan Sharanya, “Integration of Energy Storage Systems in DC ships,” (MS, 2016–2017).
- Munukutla Sruti Keerti, “Study on Technical Requirements for Distributed Generators Connecting to Power Grid,” (MS, 2015–2016).
- Francis Anthony Denisha, “Electrical Design of Signal Conditioning and Signal Processing Circuit for Rogowski coil,” (MS, 2015–2016).
- Kok Hoong Loo, “Earth Protection System for AC Substation,” (MS, 2014–2015). [Currently Engineer at Singapore Powergrid (SP Group) Singapore]
- Chuan Luo, “Supply and Load Profiling of Building,” (MS, 2014–2015). [Currently Engineer at Singapore Powergrid (SP Group) Singapore]
- Kok Cheung Lee, “Requirement Analysis of Protection of Future MV and LVDC Grid,” (MS, 2013–2015). [Currently Engineer at Beca Singapore]
- Manni Xiong, “Electrical Performance Assessment of a Pontoon Roller Wave Energy Converter (WEC) at Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal (TMFT),” (MS, 2014–2015).
- Xue Zhang, “Wave Energy Resource Characterization and Power Prediction around Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal (TMFT),” (MS, 2014–2015).
- Manickam Karthikeyan, “Requirement Analysis of Protection of Future High Voltage DC (HVDC) Grid: Transmission Side,” (MS, 2013–2014). [Currently Engineer at Toshiba Singapore]
- 'Student Travel/Paper (BF-013331) Award' at 43rd IEEE Annual Conf. on Industrial Electronics-IECON'17, Beijing, China, Oct. 2017.
- '4 Best Session Presentation Awards' at 42nd IEEE Annual Conf. on Industrial Electronics-IECON'16, Florence, Italy, Oct. 2016.
- 'Best Session Presentation Award' at 41st IEEE Annual Conf. on Industrial Electronics-IECON'15, Yokohama, Japan, Nov. 2015.
- Registered Chartered Engineer (CEng), UK elevation, Feb. 2015.
- 'Best Session Presentation Award' at 40th IEEE Annual Conf. on Industrial Electronics-IECON'14, Dallas, Oct. 2014.
- IEEE Senior Membership elevation, May 2010.
- Student Adrian Barlocher received 'Texas Instruments Excellence in Signal Processing Award (ESPA),' Jul. 2010 for the work on "Implementation of Wavelet Transform for Embedded Systems".
- Researcher of the Year 2009 Award for the 'Sensors and Signal Processing (SSP)' R&D program of ABB, 2009.
- Full-time Postgraduate Scholarship and NRF, South Africa Grant for Ph.D. (2004 – 2006).
- DAAD Scholarship for MS (dual-degree) (2002 – 2003).
Areas of expertise
- Smart Grid: Protection & Control of HV (AC/DC) Transmission, Distribution Automation (MV & LV), DC Grid: DC ships, LVDC datacenter, EV integration,
- Interfacing Power Systems & Power Electronics: Renewable Energy & Integration, Microgrid, Transactive Energy Management, Simulation, Hardware-in-loop testing,
- Condition Monitoring & Diagnostics: Rotating Machines, Transformer, Circuit-Breaker, Power Cable, Surge Arrester,
- Application of Signal Processing, Machine Learning, Sensor-based Embedded Systems.
- IEEE, USA: Senior Member (2010 – till date), Member (2007 – 2010), Student member (2005 – 2007).
- IEEE Society Membership: Industrial Electronics (IES), Power & Energy (PES), Sensors Council.
- Registered Chartered Engineer (CEng), UK.
- Member of IET, UK.
- Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.
- Associate Editor of Electrical Engineering, Springer.
- Organizer & Chair of Special Session 'DC Grid Protection and Control' at 46th IEEE Annual Industrial Electronics Conference - IECON, 2020.
- Keynote Speaker: 2018 International Conf on Renewable Energy Utilization-ICREU, Coimbatore, India, 2018.
- Session Chair: IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conf. - ISGT Asia, Singapore, 2018.
- Session Chair: IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conf. - ISGT Asia, Auckland, New Zealand, 2017.
- Publication Chair at IEEE Asian Conference on Energy, Power and Transportation Electrification, Singapore, 2016.
- Session Chair: 'Smart Distribution Systems', at IEEE TENCON Conf., Singapore, 2016.
- Session Chair: 'Renewable Energy Sources & Technology', at IEEE TENCON Conf., Singapore, 2016.
- Session Chair of 'Photovoltaic Systems' at 42nd IEEE Annual Industrial Electronics Conf.-IECON’16, Florence, Italy, 2016.
- Session Chair of 'Signal and Image Processing I' at 41st IEEE Annual Industrial Electronics Conf.-IECON’15, Yokohama, Japan, 2015.
- Session Chair of 'Applied Signal and Image Processing' at 40th IEEE Annual Industrial Electronics Conf.-IECON’14, Dallas, USA, 2014.
- Organizer & Chair of 'Special Session: Condition Monitoring & Diagnostics,' at 13th IEEE International Conf. on Industrial Technology-ICIT, Athens, Greece, 2012.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Zhang, X., Gamage, D. O. N., & Ukil, A. (2021). Rising and falling edge compensation based faster control strategy for hybrid energy storage system in PV microgrid. Electric Power Systems Research, 19010.1016/j.epsr.2020.106856
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Xibeng Zhang
- Zhang, X., Gamage, D., Wang, B., & Ukil, A. (2020). Hybrid Maximum Power Point Tracking Method Based on Iterative Learning Control and Perturb& Observe Method. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, online first10.1109/TSTE.2020.3015255
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Xibeng Zhang
- Zhou, L., Swain, A., & Ukil, A. (2020). Reinforcement Learning Controllers for Enhancement of Low Voltage Ride Through Capability in Hybrid Power Systems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INDUSTRIAL INFORMATICS, 16 (8), 5023-5031. 10.1109/TII.2019.2956509
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Akshya Swain
- Pearce, H., Pinisetty, S., Roop, P. S., Kuo, M. M. Y., & Ukil, A. (2020). Smart I/O Modules for Mitigating Cyber-Physical Attacks on Industrial Control Systems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INDUSTRIAL INFORMATICS, 16 (7), 4659-4669. 10.1109/TII.2019.2945520
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Partha Roop
- Rao, D. M. K. K. V., & Ukil, A. (2020). Modeling of room temperature dynamics for efficient building energy management. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 50 (2), 717-725. 10.1109/TSMC.2017.2758766
- Li, D., Ukil, A., Satpathi, K., & Yeap, Y. M. (2020). Improved S Transform Based Fault Detection Method in VSC Interfaced DC System. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, online first10.1109/TIE.2020.2988193
- Wang, B., Manandhar, U., Zhang, X., Gooi, H. B., & Ukil, A. (2019). Deadbeat Control for Hybrid Energy Storage Systems in DC Microgrids. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SUSTAINABLE ENERGY, 10 (4), 1867-1877. 10.1109/TSTE.2018.2873801
- Oliveira, F., & Ukil, A. (2019). Comparative performance analysis of induction and synchronous reluctance motors in chiller systems for energy efficient buildings. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 15 (8), 4384-4393. 10.1109/TII.2018.2890270
Primary office location
ENGINEERING BLOCK 5 - Bldg 405
Level 6, Room 639
5 GRAFTON RD