Associate Professor Andy Wearn
MBChB, MMedSc, MRCGP, MRNZCGP
Andy moved to NZ in 2001, following an initial academic career in UK general practice. He set up and directs the Clinical Skills Centre at the FMHS and is Deputy Head of the medical programme. His educational interests are in skills, professionalism, assessment and learning. He has an eclectic mix of publications in health professional education and primary care.
Teaching | Current
MBChB Y2,3 (PCS modules), Y2-6 (PPS domain, Learning & Teaching theme)
PGCertClinPharm in Prescribing
Cert/Dip/MClinEd (Co-convenor of CLINED703)
University of Auckland Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching - 2016
Butland Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching - 2016
Choice Critics Award - Medical Education - 2015
Listing on AMEE’s MedEdWorld list of ‘selected key papers in medical education’ – three papers listed (Medical Teacher 2009, Clinical Teacher 2013, and Medical Teacher 2016).
Editor, FoHPE (Focus on Health Professional Education). The journal of ANZAHPE (Australian and New Zealand Association for Health Professional Educators)
Vice President of ANZAHPE, 2007-2013.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Yielder, J., Wearn, A., Chen, Y., Henning, M. A., Weller, J., Lillis, S., ... Bagg, W. (2017). A qualitative exploration of student perceptions of the impact of progress tests on learning and emotional wellbeing. BMC medical education, 17 (1)10.1186/s12909-017-0984-2
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Steven Lillis, Jill Yielder, Yan Chen, Jennifer Weller, Warwick Bagg, Marcus Henning
- Vnuk, A. K., Wearn, A., & Rees, C. E. (2017). The influence of students' gender on equity in Peer Physical Examination: a qualitative study. Advances in health sciences education : theory and practice, 22 (3), 653-665. 10.1007/s10459-016-9699-0
- Bhoopatkar, H., Wearn, A., & Vnuk, A. (2017). Medical students' experience of performing female pelvic examinations: Opportunities and barriers. The Australian & New Zealand journal of obstetrics & gynaecology10.1111/ajo.12634
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Harsh Bhoopatkar
- Wearn, A. M., Nakatsuji, M., & Bhoopatkar, H. (2017). Abnormal findings in peers during skills learning. The Clinical Teacher, 14 (1), 40-44. 10.1111/tct.12497
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Miriam Nakatsuji, Harsh Bhoopatkar
- Wearn, A., O'Callaghan A, & Barrow, M. (2016). Becoming a Different Doctor: Identifying Threshold Concepts When Doctors in Training Spend Six Months with a Hospital Palliative Care Team. In R. Land, J. H. F. Meyer, M. T. Flanagan (Eds.) Threshold Concepts in Practice (pp. 223-238). Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Sense Publishers. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Anne O'Callaghan, Mark Barrow
- Chen, Y., Henning, M., Yielder, J., Jones, R., Wearn, A., & Weller, J. (2015). Progress testing in the medical curriculum: students' approaches to learning and perceived stress. BMC Medical Education, 1510.1186/s12909-015-0426-y
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yan Chen, Marcus Henning, Jill Yielder, Rhys Jones, Jennifer Weller
- Wearn, A., Bhoopatkar, H., & Nakatsuji, M. (2015). Evaluation of the effect of hand hygiene reminder signs on the use of antimicrobial hand gel in a clinical skills center. Journal of infection and public health, 8 (5), 425-431. 10.1016/j.jiph.2014.12.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Harsh Bhoopatkar, Miriam Nakatsuji
- Chen, Y., Henning, M., Yielder, J., Wearn, A., Jones, R., Mogol, V., ... Weller, J. (2015). The longitudinal impact of progress testing on medical students’ approaches to learning. Paper presented at 12th Asia Pacific Medical Education Conference (APMEC) & 3rd International Conference on Faculty Development in the Health Professions (ICFDHP), National University of Singapore, Singapore. 4 February - 8 February 2015. Medical Education.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yan Chen, Marcus Henning, Jill Yielder, Rhys Jones, Warwick Bagg, Jennifer Weller