Professor Alistair Andrew Young
BE, ME, PhD
Alistair obtained a PhD in Engineering Science in 1991 and works mainly in the area of medical image analysis. This work is multidisciplinary, including engineering, anatomy, radiology, cardiology, computer science and bioinformatics. Alistair has developed methods for fast analysis of heart function using MRI, atlas-based analysis of heart disease in large populations, and evaluation of heart stiffness and contractility from non-invasive medical imaging exams. He is a founding member and current Board of Trustees member of the Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, Secretary of the FLow and Motion Study Group of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, and serves on the editorial boards of several journals including Medical Image Analysis, Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, and GigaScience. He is Principal Investigator for the Cardiac Atlas Project, a world-wide consortium for the re-use of imaging data. This project has made over 5000 cardiac imaging examinations available to the community for research into the analysis and population variation of heart disease. His work has been funded by the Health Research Council of New Zealand, the National Heart Foundation of New Zealand, The Marsden Fund, The Wellcome Trust, and the National Institutes of Health (USA).
- Technical Director of the Auckland MR Research Group (AMRG)
The AMRG performs clinical trials in heart disease and is actively developing new methods for measuring heart function from MRI.
- Research Manager of the Center for Advanced MRI (CAMRI)
CAMRI is a state-of-the-art clinical and research MRI facility at the University of Auckland.
- Member of the Biomedical Imaging Research Unit
The Biomedical Imaging Research Unit is a multidiciplinary imaging facility based in the School of Medical Sciences at the Grafton Campus.
- Principal Investigator at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute
- Principal investigator of the Cardiac Atlas Project
The Cardiac Atlas Project aims to establish a worldwide database of cardiac MRI examinations by pooling data from a number of research studies, thereby creating a probabilistic atlas of regional heart function. For a detailed example of a single volunteer, see the AMRG cardiac MRI atlas.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tous, C., Gentles, T. L., Young, A. A., & Pontré BP (2020). Ex vivo cardiovascular magnetic resonance diffusion weighted imaging in congenital heart disease, an insight into the microstructures of tetralogy of Fallot, biventricular and univentricular systemic right ventricle. Journal of cardiovascular magnetic resonance : official journal of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, 22 (1)10.1186/s12968-020-00662-8
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Beau Pontre
- Wilson, A. J., Sands, G. B., Wang, V. Y., Hasaballa, A., Pontre, B., Young, A. A., ... LeGrice, I. J. (2020). Myocardial Laminar Organization Is Retained in Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitor Treated SHRs. EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS10.1007/s11340-020-00622-4
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gregory Sands, Vicky Wang, Ian LeGrice, Martyn Nash
- Panayides, A. S., Amini, A., Filipovic, N. D., Sharma, A., Tsaftaris, S. A., Young, A., ... Kurc, T. (2020). AI in Medical Imaging Informatics: Current Challenges and Future Directions. IEEE journal of biomedical and health informatics, 24 (7), 1837-1857. 10.1109/jbhi.2020.2991043
- Ferdian, E., Suinesiaputra, A., Dubowitz, D. J., Zhao, D., Wang, A., Cowan, B., & Young, A. A. (2020). 4DFlowNet: Super-Resolution 4D Flow MRI Using Deep Learning and Computational Fluid Dynamics. FRONTIERS IN PHYSICS, 810.3389/fphy.2020.00138
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Avan Suinesiaputra, Debbie Zhao
- Wang, Z. J., Wang, V. Y., Babarenda Gamage, T. P., Rajagopal, V., Cao, J. J., Nielsen, P. M. F., ... Nash, M. P. (2020). Efficient estimation of load-free left ventricular geometry and passive myocardial properties using principal component analysis. International journal for numerical methods in biomedical engineering10.1002/cnm.3313
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Vijayaraghavan Rajagopal, Christopher Bradley, Vicky Wang, Thiranja Babarenda Gamage, Poul Nielsen, Martyn Nash
- Forsch, N., Govil, S., Perry, J. C., Hegde, S., Young, A. A., Omens, J. H., & McCulloch, A. D. (2020). Computational analysis of cardiac structure and function in congenital heart disease: Translating discoveries to clinical strategies. Journal of Computational Science10.1016/j.jocs.2020.101211
- Pop, M., Sermesant, M., Camara, O., Zhuang, X., Li, S., Young, A., ... McLeod, K. (2020). Preface.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Avan Suinesiaputra
- van Hal, V. H. J., Zhao, D., Gilbert, K., Gamage, T. P. B., Mauger, C., Doughty, R. N., ... Camara, O. (2020). Comparison of 2D Echocardiography and Cardiac Cine MRI in the Assessment of Regional Left Ventricular Wall Thickness. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 10.1007/978-3-030-39074-7_6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Thiranja Babarenda Gamage, Jichao Zhao, Martyn Nash, Vicky Wang, Rob Doughty, Malcolm Legget, Debbie Zhao