Dr Andreas W Kempa-Liehr
Dipl.-Phys., Dr. rer. nat.
I'm a data scientist with a strong background in nonlinear dynamics, stochastic time series analysis, and high performance computing. I like to apply computational analytics for automating micro decisions and deploying them as productive applications for businesses and research.
2014-2016 Senior Data Scientist at Blue Yonder GmbH, Germany
2009-2014 Professional Analyst at EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG, Germany
2004-2009 Head of Service Group Scientific Information Processing at Freiburg Materials Research Center, University of Freiburg, Germany
2004 Dissertation on "Dissipative Solitons in Reaction Diffusion Systems" at Institute of Applied Physics, University of Münster, Germany
Research | Current
Data Science for Engineering Applications
Time series feature engineering
Decision modelling in systems with state-dependent feature space dimensionality
Teaching | Current
Data Analysis (ENGSCI211, ENGSCI213,ENGSCI 311)
Probability Theory (ENGSCI213)
Computational Techniques (ENGSCI331)
Data Science (ENGSCI762)
The Charles Ma PhD Scholarship is funding a PhD in machine learning / artificial intelligence on the automation of time series feature engineering.
The research will advance recent machine learning libraries, which provide automatic time series feature extraction from uniformly sampled signals like sensor time series, towards applications based on event series. The overarching goal is the development of a knowledge discovery framework for the optimisation of business processes on basis of temporally annotated data.
The successful candidate will closely collaborate with MADE, an Auckland based company, which is currently developing masterplanned communities in South Auckland and Hamilton.
Hui Yie Teh - Sensor networks (co-supervision with Kevin I-Kai Wang)
Radhika Poduval - Admission and retail revenue forecasting (supported by DEXIBIT)
Neil Moraes (MMProf) - Predicting Imminent Changes of Fair Value for Nikkei 225 Futures Index on Basis of Order Book Data (supported by TRV Trading)
2008 - Apple Research and Technology Support Award
Associate Member of Freiburg Materials Research Center (FMF)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Christ, M., Braun, N., Neuffer, J., & Kempa-Liehr, A. W. (2018). Time Series FeatuRe Extraction on basis of Scalable Hypothesis tests (tsfresh – A Python package). Neurocomputing, 307, 72-77. 10.1016/j.neucom.2018.03.067
- Christ, M., Krumeich, J., & Kempa-Liehr, A. W. (2017). On the implicit cost Structure of service levels from the perspective of the service consumer. In D. Ferguson, Muñoz VM, J. Cardoso, M. Helfert, C. Pahl (Eds.) Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science, 1, 531-538. Porto, Portugal. 10.5220/0006310505310538
- Falkenthal, M., Breitenbücher U, Képes K, Leymann, F., Zimmermann, M., Christ, M., ... Kempa-Liehr, A. W. (2016). OpenTOSCA for the 4th Industrial Revolution: Automating the Provisioning of Analytics Tools based on Apache Flink. Paper presented at IOT2016: The 6th International Conference on the Internet of Things, Stuttgart, Germany. 7 November - 9 November 2016. Proceedings: IOT2016 The 6th International Conference on the Internet of Things. 10.1145/2991561.2998463
- Christ, M., Kempa-Liehr, A. W., & Feindt, M. (2016). Distributed and parallel time series feature extraction for industrial big data applications. Paper presented at ACML 2016 Workshop on Learning on Big Data, Hamilton, New Zealand. 16 November - 18 November 2016. Related URL.
- Christ, M., Krummich, J., & Kempa-Liehr, A. W. (2016). Integrating predictive analytics into complex event processing by using conditional density estimations. Paper presented at 2016 IEEE 20th International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Workshop (EDOCW), Vienna, Austria. 5 September - 9 September 2016. Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Workshop (EDOCW), 2016 IEEE 20th International Proceedings. 10.1109/EDOCW.2016.7584363
- Falkenthal, M., Breitenbücher U, Christ, M., Endres, C., Kempa-Liehr, A., Leymann, L., & Zimmermann, M. (2016). Towards Function and Data Shipping in Manufacturing Environments: How Cloud Technologies leverage the 4th Industrial Revolution. Paper presented at 10th Advanced Summer School on Service Oriented Computing, Hersonissos, Crete, Greece. 27 July - 1 July 2016. Proceedings of the 10th Advanced Summer School on Service Oriented Computing. Related URL.
- Christ, M., Kienle, F., & Kempa-Liehr, A. (23/3/2016). Time series analysis in industrial applications. Poster presented at Workshop on Extreme Value and Time Series Analysis, Karlsruhe, Germany. 10.13140/RG.2.1.3130.7922
- Kempa-Liehr, A. (2015). Performance analysis of concurrent workflows. Journal of Big Data, 2 (1)10.1186/s40537-015-0017-0