Mr Andrew Yi Ming Lim
*MA in History, University of Otago; *BA Honours in History and Politics, University of Otago
I was born and grew up in Malaysia. At the age of thirteen, I moved to New Zealand where I did my intermediate, high school, and university education in Dunedin. I studied History and Politics at BA Honours and MA level at the University of Otago.
I am a naturalized New Zealand citizen and have lived here since 2004. I am also a Christian and I am a member of the Student Life campus group. I am also an avid fan of Star Wars, Marvel, and DC. I also contribute to Quora, the answers and questions website.
Research | Current
I am currently a PhD candidate at the University of Auckland. I am researching the political marketing and nation branding of both pro-Israel and Palestinian solidarity groups in New Zealand and Australia under the supervision of Dr Jennifer Lees-Marshment and Dr Geoff Kemp. I am currently preparing my PhD thesis for submission.
For my MA thesis, I researched New Zealand's relationship with Indonesia during the Sukarno presidency (1945-1966). This research has let me to present several conference papers and to publish one article with the New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies. This is a list of my works as of 2018:
- Andrew Lim, “The Political communications of pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian advocacy groups in New Zealand and Australia,” Relaunching the NZPSA Political Communication Network workshop, University of Waikato, Tauranga, 26-27 November 2020.
- Andrew Lim, "A proposed model of public diplomacy and advocacy," 2017 New Zealand Political Studies Association (NZPSA) Conference, University of Otago, Dunedin, 29 November-1 December 2017.
- Andrew Lim, “A Tale of Two Narratives: The New Zealand print media and the Indonesian-Malaysian Confrontation, 1963-1966,” New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies 18, no 1 (June 2016): 35-55.
- Andrew Lim, “Bandung and the limitations of New Zealand Foreign Policy,” SEARC Working Paper Series no. 177, July 2016, Southeast Asia Research Centre, http://www.cityu.edu.hk/searc/Resources/Paper/16070717_177%20-%20WP%20-%20Andrew%20Lim.pdf.
- Andrew Lim, “Media coverage of New Zealand’s involvement in the Indonesian-Malaysian Confrontation, 1963-1966,” New Historians Conference, Victoria University of Wellington, 31 August – 1 September 2015.
- Andrew Lim, “New Zealand’s response to the 30 September coup attempt, 1965-1966,” Forgetting Remembering Conference,” Forgetting Remembering postgraduate symposium, University of Otago, Dunedin, 25-26 June 2015.
- Andrew Lim, “Dissenting Voices: The New Zealand Left and the Indonesian Revolution, 1945-1949,” Postgrad Research Day of the University of Otago’s Department of History and Art History, Dunedin, 14 November 2014.
Areas of expertise
- New Zealand foreign relations and policies
- Interest groups
- Political marketing