Dr Ben Albert
BHB, MBChB, Dip Paeds, GDipSci, FRACP
Ben graduated in medicine from The University of Auckland School of Medicine in 2003 and began clinical work in Rotorua and later Whangarei before returning to Auckland. He is a consultant Paediatrician and Paediatric Endocrinologist providing clinical service to Starship Children's Health. He completed his PhD at the Liggins Institute in 2017 entitled "Metabolic Effects of Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids", and is now a Senior Research Fellow in the Liggins Institute
Research | Current
Currently Ben is leading research investigating the effects of omega-3 supplementation during pregnancy on infant body composition and metabolism, particularly focussed on pregnancies complicated by maternal obesity or overweight. This includes the Fish Oil in Pregnancy Trial, as well as a series of animal studies. Ben is also involved in clinical research projects based in ADHB.
Cure Kids / A Better Start - National Science Challenge Project Grant
HRC Emerging Research First Grant.
Australasian Paediatric Endocrine Care Grant (Pfizer)
Teaching | Current
I provide lectures to the 3rd year Medical Class on Postnatal growth and Puberty and arrange a clinical cased based session to complement the paediatric endocrine lectures.
I also regularly contribute to the FRACP preparation courses.
I supervise a PhD Student Vidit Satokar, and cosupervise Stephanie Andraos.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Satokar, V. V., Cutfield, W. S., Cameron-Smith, D., & Albert, B. B. (2020). Omega-3 fats in pregnancy: could a targeted approach lead to better metabolic health for children?. Nutrition reviews10.1093/nutrit/nuaa071
- Derraik, J. G. B., Parklak, W., Albert, B. B., Boonyapranai, K., & Rerkasem, K. (2020). Fundamentals of Data Collection in Clinical Studies: Simple Steps to Avoid "Garbage In, Garbage Out". The international journal of lower extremity wounds10.1177/1534734620938234
Other University of Auckland co-authors: José Derraik
- Andraos, S., Goy, M., Albert, B. B., Kussmann, M., Thorstensen, E. B., & O'Sullivan JM (2020). Robotic automation of a UHPLC/MS-MS method profiling one-carbon metabolites, amino acids, and precursors in plasma. Analytical biochemistry, 59210.1016/j.ab.2019.113558
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Justin O'Sullivan, Eric Thorstensen
- Chiavaroli, V., Derraik, J. G. B., Jalaludin, M. Y., Albert, B. B., Ramkumar, S., Cutfield, W. S., ... Jefferies, C. A. (2019). Partial remission in type 1 diabetes and associated factors: Analysis based on the insulin dose-adjusted hemoglobin A1c in children and adolescents from a regional diabetes center, Auckland, New Zealand. Pediatric diabetes, 20 (7), 892-900. 10.1111/pedi.12881
Other University of Auckland co-authors: José Derraik, Wayne Cutfield, Paul Hofman
- Leong, K. S. W., Jayasinghe, T. N., Derraik, J. G. B., Albert, B. B., Chiavaroli, V., Svirskis, D. M., ... Schierding, W. (2019). Protocol for the Gut Bugs Trial: a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial of gut microbiome transfer for the treatment of obesity in adolescents. BMJ open, 9 (4)10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026174
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Karen Leong, José Derraik, Darren Svirskis, Yannan Jiang, William Schierding, Tommi Vatanen, Wayne Cutfield, Justin O'Sullivan
- Cutfield, W. S., & Albert, B. B. (2018). Growth Hormone Treatment for Idiopathic Short Stature. Pediatric endocrinology reviews : PER, 16 (Suppl 1), 113-122. 10.17458/per.vol16.2018.ca.ghidiopathicshortstature
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Wayne Cutfield, Paul Hofman
- Sjardin, N., Reed, P., Albert, B., Mouat, F., Carter, P. J., Hofman, P., ... Jefferies, C. (2018). Increasing incidence of type 2 diabetes in New Zealand children<15 years of age in a regional-based diabetes service, Auckland, New Zealand. Journal of paediatrics and child health, 54 (9), 1005-1010. 10.1111/jpc.13924
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Paul Hofman, Wayne Cutfield, Alistair Gunn
- Oddie, P. D., Albert, B. B., Hofman, P. L., Jefferies, C., Laughton, S., & Carter, P. J. (2018). Mitotane in the treatment of childhood adrenocortical carcinoma: a potent endocrine disruptor. ENDOCRINOLOGY DIABETES AND METABOLISM CASE REPORTS10.1530/EDM-18-0059
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Paul Hofman