Dist Prof Bill Alexander Denny
ONZM, MSc PhD, DSc, FRSNZ, FNZIC
Trained at Auckland and Oxford Universities as a medicinal chemist/drug designer. Co-founding scientist of Proacta Therapeutics, and co-PI in the Centre for Molecular Bioscience, University of Auckland. Past-President of the NZ Society for Oncology and the NZ Institute of Chemistry. Rutherford Medallist of the Royal Society of NZ, and Adrian Albert Medallist of the UK Royal Society of Chemistry. Officer of the NZ Order of Merit for services to cancer research.
Bill leads the Medicinal Chemistry Group at the Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Fernandes, G. F. S., Denny, W. A., & Dos Santos, J. L. (2019). Boron in drug design: Recent advances in the development of new therapeutic agents. European journal of medicinal chemistry, 179, 791-804. 10.1016/j.ejmech.2019.06.092
- Sarojini, V., Cameron, A. J., Varnava, K. G., Denny, W. A., & Sanjayan, G. (2019). Cyclic Tetrapeptides from Nature and Design: A Review of Synthetic Methodologies, Structure, and Function. Chemical reviews, 119 (17), 10318-10359. 10.1021/acs.chemrev.8b00737
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Viji Sarojini, Kyriakos Varnava
- Choi, P. J., Cooper, E., Schweder, P., Mee, E., Faull, R., Denny, W. A., ... Jose, J. (2019). The synthesis of a novel Crizotinib heptamethine cyanine dye conjugate that potentiates the cytostatic and cytotoxic effects of Crizotinib in patient-derived glioblastoma cell lines. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, online first10.1016/j.bmcl.2019.07.051
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Thomas Park, Peter Choi, Richard Faull, Michael Dragunow, Jiney Jose
- Jacobson, G. M., Voss, L. J., Klockars, A., Bird, S., Dimitrov, I., Denny, W. A., ... Harvey, M. G. (2019). Transcriptional changes in response to ketamine ester-analogs SN 35210 and SN 35563 in the rat brain. BMC genomics, 20 (1)10.1186/s12864-019-5649-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jamie Sleigh
- Gamage, S. A., Spicer, J. A., Tsang, K. Y., O'Connor PD, Flanagan, J. U., Lee, W.-J., ... Rewcastle, G. W. (2019). Synthesis and Evaluation of Imidazo[1,2-a]pyridine Analogues of the ZSTK474 Class of Phosphatidylinositol 3-Kinase Inhibitors. Chemistry, an Asian journal, 14 (8), 1249-1261. 10.1002/asia.201801762
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jack Flanagan, James Dickson, Gordon Rewcastle, Swarna Gamage, Julie Spicer
- Jose, J., Spicer, J., Miller, C. K., O'Connor P, Giddens, A., Akhlaghi, H., ... Denny, W. A. (1/4/2019). Development of inhibitors of the pore forming protein perforin for the treatment of leukaemia. Poster presented at 257th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Orlando, FL, United States. MEDI-0164. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jiney Jose, Julie Spicer, Anna Giddens, Christian Miller
- Giddens, A. C., Gamage, S. A., Kendall, J. D., Lee, W.-J., Baguley, B. C., Buchanan, C. M., ... Denny, W. A. (2019). Synthesis and biological evaluation of solubilized sulfonamide analogues of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase inhibitor ZSTK474. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry, 27 (8), 1529-1545. 10.1016/j.bmc.2019.02.050
Other University of Auckland co-authors: James Dickson, Anna Giddens, Swarna Gamage, Christina Buchanan, Woo Lee, Stephen Jamieson, Gordon Rewcastle
- Blaser, A., Sutherland, H. S., Tong, A. S. T., Choi, P. J., Conole, D., Franzblau, S. G., ... Denny, W. A. (2019). Structure-activity relationships for unit C pyridyl analogues of the tuberculosis drug bedaquiline. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry, 27 (7), 1283-1291. 10.1016/j.bmc.2019.02.025
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Adrian Blaser, Peter Choi, Brian Palmer