Associate Professor Bridget Kool
PhD, MPH, BHSc (Nursing), RGON
Bridget Kool trained as a Registered General and Obstetric Nurse and practiced as a nurse for 25 years, holding a number or senior roles. She has completed an MPH (1st class honours) and PhD (Dean’s List) both from the University of Auckland. From July 2016 to December 2017 she was Academic Director for the School of Population Health, and prior to that Director of the BHSc(Hons) programme at the School. Her teaching area of interest for the past seven years has been in evidence based medicine. She is actively involved in postgraduate supervision. She has held a number of service roles including: New Zealand Branch President of the Australasian Epidemiological Association (November 2014 to February 2018), and Editor for Australian New Zealand Journal of Public Health. She is an invited member of the Statistics New Zealand Working Group for Serious Injury Information, and the Major Trauma Clinical Network of New Zealand, and an Associate Editor for Injury. Bridget has published over 65 papers in top ranking injury-related journals. She has received funding from the Health Research Council of New Zealand, ACC, the Health Promotion Agency, and the Auckland Medical Research Foundation.
Bridget is committed to ensuring the University strives to maintain excellence in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and to support academic staff in those endeavours.
Research | Current
- Injury epidemiology
- Cutting and Piercing injury
- Home injury
- Child maltreatment
- Trauma outcomes
Member of the Editorial Board for Injury
Member of the Major Trauma National Clinical Network
Member of Statistics NZ Serious Injury Information Working Group
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Vance, E., Farlie, M. K., Kool, B., Tiedemann, A., Hatton, A. L., Sherrington, C., & Sturnieks, D. L. (2018). Health professional student education related to the prevention of falls in older people: A survey of universities in Australia and New Zealand. Australasian journal on ageing10.1111/ajag.12543
- Kool, B., Buller, S., Kuriyan, R., Jones-Todd, C. M., Newcombe, D., & Jones, P. (2018). Alcohol and injury among attendees at a busy inner city New Zealand emergency department. Injury, 49 (4), 798-805. 10.1016/j.injury.2018.02.028
Other University of Auckland co-authors: David Newcombe, Peter Jones
- Speakman, S., Kool, B., Sinclair, J., & Fitzharris, P. (2018). Paediatric food-induced anaphylaxis hospital presentations in New Zealand. Journal of paediatrics and child health, 54 (3), 254-259. 10.1111/jpc.13705
- Willcox-Pidgeon, S., Kool, B., & Moran, K. (2018). Perceptions of the risk of drowning at surf beaches among New Zealand youth. International journal of injury control and safety promotion, 1-7. 10.1080/17457300.2018.1431939
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kevin Moran
- Wise, M., Kool, B., Sadler, L., Peiris-John, R., Robb, G., & Wells, S. (2017). Teaching quality improvement to medical students: over a decade of experience. The New Zealand medical journal, 130 (1466), 45-52.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Roshini Peiris-John, Susan Wells
- Kool, B., Ameratunga, S., Scott, N., Lawrenson, R., & Christey, G. (2017). The epidemiology of work-related injury admissions to hospitals in the Midland region of New Zealand. Injury, 48 (11), 2478-2484. 10.1016/j.injury.2017.09.018
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Shanthi Ameratunga, Nina Scott
- O'Leary K, Kool, B., & Christey, G. (2017). Characteristics of older adults hospitalised following trauma in the Midland region of New Zealand. The New Zealand medical journal, 130 (1463), 45-53.
- Berry, S., Carr, P. A., Kool, B., Mohal, J., Morton, S., & Grant, C. (2017). Housing tenure as a focus for reducing inequalities in the home safety environment: evidence from Growing Up in New Zealand. Australian and New Zealand journal of public health, 41 (5), 530-534. 10.1111/1753-6405.12695
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Morton, Cameron Grant