Professor Brent Richmond Young
BE(Hons), PhD, GradCert Higher Ed
Brent Young is a Professor in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering at the University of Auckland. He holds the position of Chair in Food Process Engineering and is Director of the Industrial Information and Control Centre (I2C2).
Brent was previously an Associate Professor in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering at the University of Calgary (1998-2005) and a Lecturer in Chemical Technology at the University of Technology, Sydney (1991-1998). He has also held prestigious visiting positions including an NSERC at Calgary (1995), an Erskine at Canterbury (2005) and a Gledden at Western Australia (2009).
He received his BE (1986) and PhD (1993) degrees in Chemical and Process Engineering from the University of Canterbury. He is a registered professional engineer, a Fellow of the Institute of Chemical Engineers United Kingdom and a Vice President of the Institute of Measurement and Control New Zealand. He has co-authored over 200 refereed publications including the book "A Real-time Approach to Process Control", published by John Wiley (2nd Edition, 2006).
He was Engineers Australia John A. Brodie medallist for the best paper in the discipline of chemical engineering presented at CHEMECA for 2008 and 2009. In 2008 he also received the NZ Waste Water Association Conference best modelling paper award. In 2007 he was principal control consultant to MWH NZ responsible for their Association of Consulting Engineers NZ Award.
Brent's teaching, research and practice centre on process modelling, simulation, control and design.
He is actively involved in applied research and industrial consulting and has taught and practiced in New Zealand, Australia and Canada.
Research | Current
A summary of my biography and research is given through my inaugural lecture.
My research turns process data into useful information (by using mathematical modelling) to design and optimise manufacturing processes, in particular in the application areas of food and energy.
Teaching | Current
- CHEMMAT 232 - Process Design I
- CHEMMAT 312 - Transfer Processes II
- CHEMMAT 752 - Process Dynamics and Control
- CHEMMAT 773 - Advanced Food Process Systems Engineering
Head, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
Acting Chair, Food and Health Programme
Areas of expertise
- Process simulation and control (in food especially dairy, light metals, oil and gas, wastewater).
- Process development and design (in novel, bio and food processes).
- National Board Chair, SCENZ IChemE in NZ
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sage, V., Hazewinkel, P., Khamphasith, M., Young, B., Burke, N., & May, E. F. (2019). High-pressure cryogenic distillation data for improved LNG production. Separation and Purification Technology, 229.10.1016/j.seppur.2019.115804
- Thompson, T. M., Young, B., & Baroutian, S. (2019). Advances in the pretreatment of brown macroalgae for biogas production. Fuel Processing Technology, 19510.1016/j.fuproc.2019.106151
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Saeid Baroutian, Terrell Thompson
- Ang, T. N., Udugama, I. A., Mansouri, S. S., Taylor, M., Burrell, R., Young, B. R., & Baroutian, S. (2019). A techno-economic-societal assessment of recovery of waste volatile anaesthetics. SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION TECHNOLOGY, 226, 304-314. 10.1016/j.seppur.2019.06.011
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Teck Nam Ang, Saeid Baroutian
- Li, B., Huang, H. M., Boiarkina, I., Yu, W., Huang, Y. F., Wang, G. Q., & Young, B. R. (2019). Phosphorus recovery through struvite crystallisation: Recent developments in the understanding of operational factors. Journal of Environmental Management, 248.10.1016/j.jenvman.2019.07.025
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bing Li, Wei Yu
- Munir, M. T., Li, B., Mardon, I., Young, B. R., & Baroutian, S. (2019). Integrating wet oxidation and struvite precipitation for sewage sludge treatment and phosphorus recovery. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION, 232, 1043-1052. 10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.06.007
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tajammal Munir, Bing Li, Saeid Baroutian
- Li, B., Udugama, I. A., Mansouri, S. S., Yu, W., Baroutian, S., Gernaey, K. V., & Young, B. R. (2019). An exploration of barriers for commercializing phosphorus recovery technologies. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION, 229, 1342-1354. 10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.05.042
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Wei Yu, Bing Li, Saeid Baroutian
- Dong, S., Habib, B., Li, B., Yu, W., & Young, B. (2019). Organic Rankine Cycle Systems Design Using a Case-Based Reasoning Approach. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH, 58 (29), 13198-13209. 10.1021/acs.iecr.9b01150
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bing Li
- Cameron, I. T., Engell, S., Georgakis, C., Asprion, N., Bonvin, D., Gao, F., ... Preisig, H. A. (2019). Education in Process Systems Engineering: Why it matters more than ever and how it can be structured. COMPUTERS & CHEMICAL ENGINEERING, 126, 102-112. 10.1016/j.compchemeng.2019.03.036