Dr Brya Matthews
BSc (Hons), PhD
Brya Matthews completed her PhD at the University of Auckland in 2009, and after a short time doing postdoctoral work in Auckland, completed further postdoctoral research at the University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine in Connecticut, USA. She was later promoted to Instructor then Assistant Professor before returning to New Zealand in 2017 to take up a Sir Charles Hercus Fellowship in the Department of Molecular Medicine.
Research | Current
I am interested in adult stem cells involved in bone healing. My research focuses on identifying stem cell populations in the periosteum, the tissue that surrounds the outside of the bone, and examining how these cells respond to injury.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Matthews, B. G., Roeder, E., Wang, X., Aguila, H. L., Lee, S.-K., Grcevic, D., & Kalajzic, I. (2017). Splenomegaly, myeloid lineage expansion and increased osteoclastogenesis in osteogenesis imperfecta murine. Bone, 103, 1-11. 10.1016/j.bone.2017.06.004
- Vidovic, I., Banerjee, A., Fatahi, R., Matthews, B. G., Dyment, N. A., Kalajzic, I., & Mina, M. (2017). αSMA-Expressing Perivascular Cells Represent Dental Pulp Progenitors In Vivo. Journal of dental research, 96 (3), 323-330. 10.1177/0022034516678208
- Matic, I., Matthews, B. G., Wang, X., Dyment, N. A., Worthley, D. L., Rowe, D. W., ... Kalajzic, I. (2016). Quiescent Bone Lining Cells Are a Major Source of Osteoblasts During Adulthood. Stem cells (Dayton, Ohio), 34 (12), 2930-2942. 10.1002/stem.2474
- Joo Kim, J., Musson, D. S., Matthews, B. G., Cornish, J., Anderson, I. A., & Shim, V. B. (2016). Applying Physiologically Relevant Strains to Tenocytes in an In Vitro Cell Device Induces In Vivo Like Behaviors. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 138 (12).10.1115/1.4034031
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Vickie Shim, Jillian Cornish, Iain Anderson, David Musson
- Roeder, E., Matthews, B. G., & Kalajzic, I. (2016). Visual reporters for study of the osteoblast lineage. Bone, 92, 189-195. 10.1016/j.bone.2016.09.004
- Matthews, B. G., Roguljic, H., Franceschetti, T., Roeder, E., Matic, I., Vidovic, I., ... Kalajzic, I. (2016). Gene-expression analysis of cementoblasts and osteoblasts. Journal of periodontal research, 51 (3), 304-312. 10.1111/jre.12309
- Matthews, B. G., Torreggiani, E., Roeder, E., Matic, I., Grcevic, D., & Kalajzic, I. (2016). Osteogenic potential of alpha smooth muscle actin expressing muscle resident progenitor cells. Bone, 84, 69-77. 10.1016/j.bone.2015.12.010
- Kolind, M., Bobyn, J. D., Matthews, B. G., Mikulec, K., Aiken, A., Little, D. G., ... Schindeler, A. (2015). Lineage tracking of mesenchymal and endothelial progenitors in BMP-induced bone formation. Bone, 81, 53-59. 10.1016/j.bone.2015.06.023