Dr Catherine Bentham
PhD; MCom (hons)
In 2009 Catherine completed a PhD which advanced a technique to develop ‘pseudo panel data’ from cross-sectional surveys. The PhD was recognised with several awards including a Best PhD Award (highly commended) in the 2010 Emerald/EFMD (Global) Outstanding Doctoral Research Awards (marketing research category) and highly commended awards in the PhD colloquium at the Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) conferences in both 2004 and 2006. Since completing her PhD, Catherine has published in several articles based on her research in international peer reviewed journals.
In addition to her academic expertise, Catherine has over 19 years’ experience in market research and consultancy in a wide range of industries. Catherine’s work has been recognised at a number of industry conferences and she was the recipient of the David O’Neill award for innovation at both the 2011 and 2007 Market Research Society of New Zealand (MRSNZ) industry conferences. Catherine has more recently held posts on the MRSNZ committee, including Vice President and Treasurer.
Research | Current
Catherine's research focuses on quantitative research methods and data quality. Her research falls into three general areas, these being: (1) the development of new quantitative research methodologies, (2) improvement of existing research methods, and (3) applying expertise in research methods to develop evidence-based theory.
Teaching | Current
Catherine teaches across a range of business and marketing courses, at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels; although she has previously taught executive education over the years. Recent courses taught include MKTG 202 (Marketing Research), MKTG 302 (Advanced Marketing Research), MKTG 703 (Research Methods in Marketing 1) and MKTG 301 (Marketing Strategy).
Catherine has supervised 22 Masters, Honours and PhD students. Her primary areas of interest for supervision are quantitative research methods and data quality.
- 2015 Inducted as a Fellow of the Research Association New Zealand (RANZ).
- 2014 2014 Sustained Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Auckland Business School.
- 2011 MRSNZ (Market Research Society of New Zealand) conference, David O’Neill Award for Innovation.
- 2011 2010 Emerald / European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) Outstanding Doctoral Research Award (Highly Commended, Marketing Research Category).
- 2007 MRSNZ (Market Research Society of New Zealand) conference, David O’Neill Award for Innovation.
- 2006 PhD Colloquium, ANZMAC (Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy) conference, honourable mention for best PhD research presentation.
- 2004 PhD Colloquium, ANZMAC (Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy) conference, best PhD research presentation – highly commended award.
Board Member, Research Association New Zealand (RANZ) Board.
Chair, Department of Marketing Learning and Teaching Committee.
Faculty of Business and Economics Learning and Teaching Committee.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lee, M. S. W., Septianto, F., Frethey-Bentham, C., & Gao, E. (2020). Condoms and bananas: Shock advertising explained through congruence theory. JOURNAL OF RETAILING AND CONSUMER SERVICES, 5710.1016/j.jretconser.2020.102228
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Michael Lee
- Starr, R. G., Zhu, A. Q., Frethey-Bentham, C., & Brodie, R. J. (2020). Peer-to-peer interactions in the sharing economy: Exploring the role of reciprocity within a Chinese social network. AUSTRALASIAN MARKETING JOURNAL, 28 (3), 67-80. 10.1016/j.ausmj.2020.06.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Starr Jr, Roderick Brodie
- Levy, D. S., Frethey-Bentham, C., & Cheung, W. K. S. (2020). Asymmetric framing effects and market familiarity: experimental evidence from the real estate market. JOURNAL OF PROPERTY RESEARCH, 37 (1), 85-104. 10.1080/09599916.2020.1713858
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Deborah Levy, William Cheung
- van Esch, P., von der Heidt, T., Frethey-Bentham, C., & Northey, G. (2020). THE EFFECT OF MARKETING SIMULATIONS ON STUDENT ENGAGEMENT AND ACADEMIC OUTCOMES. Marketing Education Review10.1080/10528008.2020.1713003
- Dolan, R., Conduit, J., Frethey-Bentham, C., Fahy, J., & Goodman, S. (2019). Social media engagement behavior A framework for engaging customers through social media content. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF MARKETING, 53 (10), 2213-2243. 10.1108/EJM-03-2017-0182
- van Esch, P., Duffy, S. M., Teufel, J., Northey, G., Elder, E., Frethey-Bentham, C., ... Heller, J. (2019). ExerStart: helping seniors be active and independent for less. JOURNAL OF SOCIAL MARKETING, 9 (2), 146-160. 10.1108/JSOCM-06-2018-0065
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Edward Elder
- Nenonen, S., Storbacka, K., & Frethey-Bentham, C. (2018). Is your industrial marketing work working? Developing a composite index of market change. Industrial Marketing Management10.1016/j.indmarman.2018.06.006
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Suvi Nenonen
- Conroy, D., Smith, S. D., & Frethey-Bentham, C. (2018). Weighing the odds: an exploration of resistance to obesity and overweight. JOURNAL OF SOCIAL MARKETING, 8 (4), 421-441. 10.1108/JSOCM-06-2018-0056
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sandra Smith